Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extreme battery loss on Model 3 (˜10% per day) since 2023.20.4.1. Contacted service and told this is normal (more info below)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This sucks I have no idea what to do my car is only 1 month old and they said losing 10% a day is totally fine and dismissed it and sent me home
Tell them they really should know better about a product they sell and support.
Show them the Online manual that states the loss is 1% per day. As far as I know we aren't in winter, to have more losses than that, so either they lie in the manual or they are lying to you. Make sure though that you tell them that you disabled the Sentry mode and the Overheat protection while you are talking to them. 10% losses are huge in this configuration. With Sentry mode enabled I did lose 4% over about 16 hours while I was parked indoors at a hotel 2 weeks ago. That's to be expected.

1692400392483.png

Last edited:
Reactions: S&B's M3
This sucks I have no idea what to do my car is only 1 month old and they said losing 10% a day is totally fine and dismissed it and sent me home
Did you do the things mentioned in this post?
New tesla model 3 RWD battery drain while parked problem and park assist unavailable

You have to basically prove beyond reasonable doubt your car is having an issue. To you this you have to take screen shots of drain over consecutive days will proven evidence you had all battery draining features disabled (Sentry, Cabin overheat, Summon standby, etc). Then reference their manual. See that post for more details. You may also reference the invoices others posted that RCM replacement fixed their issue.

Otherwise they will just brush you off as another new owner unfamiliar with the features (which is probably 99% of their battery drain complaints).

Just got back from service. They told me losing 10-12 percent parked is completely normal and refused to check anything else. Any tips for a good service place in SoCal that will take this seriously?
Assuming you have the same problem I did, what I noticed was a constant humming/sound coming from the engine area all day long. I took short video clips throughout the day across multiple days of the humming sound when the car should be sleeping. I put in a service ticket about the car "humming" all the time instead of just battery drain. They're trained to ignore battery drain as it can just be a symptom of an uncalibrated BMS. However, the symptom here is indicative of a broken system elsewhere, so we should report that as the problem. It sucks that they're unwilling to diagnose this properly themselves though.

Reactions: Tonylam2002200
Assuming you have the same problem I did, what I noticed was a constant humming/sound coming from the engine area all day long. I took short video clips throughout the day across multiple days of the humming sound when the car should be sleeping. I put in a service ticket about the car "humming" all the time instead of just battery drain. They're trained to ignore battery drain as it can just be a symptom of an uncalibrated BMS. However, the symptom here is indicative of a broken system elsewhere, so we should report that as the problem. It sucks that they're unwilling to diagnose this properly themselves though.
That's exactly what I did by submitting a ticket under the "noise" category other than the "battery" category. Otherwise they will just ignore your request and you are not able to schedule an appointment.

Reactions: dakhlkt22
This is because 99% of the time it is people that do not RTFM and not being aware of features that drain the battery. It also is an issue that takes a lot of time to diagnose (given it needs to go through full sleep cycles) and also does not make the car undrivable (as such not as urgent as other issues people may complain about). So the best way is to help them help you by fully documenting the issue and showing it beyond reasonable doubt. Otherwise you just waste both party's time.

It is normal after parking for the AC fan to run for a while to dry out the condenser inside the car. This was a software charge a couple years ago. However if this continues for hours either the fan is staying on or something else is running continuously that is NOT normal.

Reactions: SO16
This is because 99% of the time it is people that do not RTFM and not being aware of features that drain the battery. It also is an issue that takes a lot of time to diagnose (given it needs to go through full sleep cycles) and also does not make the car undrivable (as such not as urgent as other issues people may complain about). So the best way is to help them help you by fully documenting the issue and showing it beyond reasonable doubt. Otherwise you just waste both party's time.
I fully agree. They certainly don't need to do a full in-person multiday diagnosis of an issue when someone just complains of battery drain of a few % after a long drive, or having sentry/smart-summon/cabin overheat on and persisting the drain. In the cases of most of the people here though, I think quite a few of us have had the difficult interaction of trying to explain to them how we've diagnosed these as not the problem (either by turning it off or submitting data indicating otherwise), only to have it fall on deaf ears. That's probably the most frustrating part. It would help if they had time to read through the concerns properly or improved their automated diagnosis system to go beyond "HV Battery showing healthy status" before brushing away these tickets. There certainly needs to be a better way of identifying real issue tickets vs. spurious false flags.

Reactions: evermore
I agree but to be fair tesla does an extremely poor job educating new users with their UX/UI. A new owner shouldn't have to deal with battery drain from cabin overheat protection and sentry mode since it's incredibly non-obvious to most people what those even are let alone that they'd cause so much drain. Then those settings are buried in separate menus in an already cluttered UI.

Yes people should RTFM but the onus is on the software designers to make clear and obvious how to use a system. Tesla UX is awful compared to how good it could be. For example, I watched a friend struggle to figure out how to simply unlock all the doors one time for Christ's sake. If the car is parked and locked then there should be a large button on the screen to unlock it, not a tiny little lock icon hidden in the corner over a busy map. As a veteran designer myself I could go on for days about UX fails like this.

Reactions: BigNick
I fully agree. They certainly don't need to do a full in-person multiday diagnosis of an issue when someone just complains of battery drain of a few % after a long drive, or having sentry/smart-summon/cabin overheat on and persisting the drain. In the cases of most of the people here though, I think quite a few of us have had the difficult interaction of trying to explain to them how we've diagnosed these as not the problem (either by turning it off or submitting data indicating otherwise), only to have it fall on deaf ears. That's probably the most frustrating part. It would help if they had time to read through the concerns properly or improved their automated diagnosis system to go beyond "HV Battery showing healthy status" before brushing away these tickets. There certainly needs to be a better way of identifying real issue tickets vs. spurious false flags.
I agree but to be fair tesla does an extremely poor job educating new users with their UX/UI. A new owner shouldn't have to deal with battery drain from cabin overheat protection and sentry mode since it's incredibly non-obvious to most people what those even are let alone that they'd cause so much drain. Then those settings are buried in separate menus in an already cluttered UI.

Yes people should RTFM but the onus is on the software designers to make clear and obvious how to use a system. Tesla UX is awful compared to how good it could be. For example, I watched a friend struggle to figure out how to simply unlock all the doors one time for Christ's sake. If the car is parked and locked then there should be a large button on the screen to unlock it, not a tiny little lock icon hidden in the corner over a busy map. As a veteran designer myself I could go on for days about UX fails like this.
Definitely agree that there's lots of room for improvement on Tesla's end, but just as a practical matter, eliminating the possibilities that Tesla will bring up just helps reach a resolution much quicker, when you are fully aware that's what they would bring up. It will take a long time for Tesla to improve (maybe never, as sales outpace service expansion).

It's a complete mystery for the public, but not to Tesla software engineers. There are patterns that can be found that suggests it is vehicle configuration based (of which there are a bunch and a huge mixture of different parts). As such, I don't think you can legitimately say it is counter to software development best practices, given controlled rollouts aren't uncommon.
I worked in software development. The number of different computer configurations dwarfs the number of different Tesla configs by several orders of magnitude. Think of all the different configs Microsoft needs to accommodate when it pushes out updates. People make the excuse that safety is not a huge concern when updating regular computers, but there are still enormous issues that could cause havoc if Microsoft screws up their update. Entire corporations rely in the fact that the updates are gonna work. Many businesses use Windows computers for their point of sale machines. And yet, weirdly enough, when Microsoft pushes an update you can go grab it as soon as it's available. This is because they have extensive testing capability which means it's safe (not necessarily perfect, which is an impossible standard) to release to users as a whole. Tesla obviously does not have that capability and doesn't seem to want to develop it. So they use us as pseudo beta testers. It absolutely goes against what pretty much ever other major software developer does.

Reactions: notunusual
I worked in software development. The number of different computer configurations dwarfs the number of different Tesla configs by several orders of magnitude. Think of all the different configs Microsoft needs to accommodate when it pushes out updates. People make the excuse that safety is not a huge concern when updating regular computers, but there are still enormous issues that could cause havoc if Microsoft screws up their update. Entire corporations rely in the fact that the updates are gonna work. Many businesses use Windows computers for their point of sale machines. And yet, weirdly enough, when Microsoft pushes an update you can go grab it as soon as it's available. This is because they have extensive testing capability which means it's safe (not necessarily perfect, which is an impossible standard) to release to users as a whole. Tesla obviously does not have that capability and doesn't seem to want to develop it. So they use us as pseudo beta testers. It absolutely goes against what pretty much ever other major software developer does.
I knew you would bring up Microsoft, but it's not anywhere comparable. There are many components, but they are all under the PC standard, with almost all of the parts designed specifically to be compatible with Windows in the first place.

You have no such thing in cars. You have ton of different components with their own firmware and none of them were designed with Tesla's OS in mind (rather Tesla or other auto OEMs have to integrate them). That's why previously automakers never did OTAs beyond infotainment (unlike Tesla which actually updates component firmware too).

A better analogy are smart phones. I know of no manufacturer that does a unified roll out of phone OS updates. Heck they even drop support in relatively short time (guaranteed updates are only around 18 months), while Tesla is still updating cars that are a decade old.

I won't bring up point about mission critical parts, BSODs, legal vehicle requirements like US vs Euro, etc, as you don't want this brought up, but they are equally valid counterpoints why the Microsoft example is a bad one.

Last edited:
I knew you would bring up Microsoft, but it's not anywhere comparable. There are many components, but they are all under the PC standard, with almost all of the parts designed specifically to be compatible with Windows in the first place.

You have no such thing in cars. You have ton of different components with their own firmware and none of them were designed with Tesla's OS in mind (rather Tesla or other auto OEMs have to integrate them). That's why previously automakers never did OTAs beyond infotainment (unlike Tesla which actually updates component firmware too).

A better analogy are smart phones. I know of no manufacturer that does a unified roll out of phone OS updates. Heck they even drop support in relatively short time (guaranteed updates are only around 18 months), while Tesla is still updating cars that are a decade old.

I won't bring up point about mission critical parts, BSODs, legal vehicle requirements like US vs Euro, etc, as you don't want this brought up, but they are equally valid counterpoints why the Microsoft example is a bad one.
You mentioned phones, but I think you're off. You seem to be referring to Android, which does what you say; tons of different components used by many different manufacturers that Google needs to try and accommodate. But that's not a valid analogy because Google doesn't build hardware.

Apple would be more appropriate. They develop their software AND their hardware, *just like Tesla*. While their phones are not supported for decades, they are supported for WAY more than 18 months. I believe they go back 4 years as a policy, but that's because phones are more of a commodity than cars are and replaced much sooner as a business model. And weirdly enough, they have updates on demand! They don't roll them out to a few people here and a few people there.

So I'm not sure what 'different components' you're talking about in Teslas. No, they don't manufacture every component, but they know what ever component is and how it works and how to integrate it. Their component list is tightly controlled. You can't just put any headlight or other component in the car cause it won't work. They may use a 3rd party company to send the updates OTA but all those updates are created by Tesla. They are a software development company in the same vein as Apple.

You mentioned phones, but I think you're off. You seem to be referring to Android, which does what you say; tons of different components used by many different manufacturers that Google needs to try and accommodate. But that's not a valid analogy because Google doesn't build hardware.
No, I'm talking specifically within a manufacturer that controls all their own phone hardware. For example, Samsung DOES NOT update all their Android devices at once. Each device has a distinct software update cycle. It has nothing to do with Google, just standard industry practice.

If phone manufacturers with $200+ billion in revenue does not do simultaneous on updates on their phone lineup (a much simpler device compared a car), it's not reasonable to say it's "counter to software development best practices" when Tesla also doesn't.
Apple would be more appropriate. They develop their software AND their hardware, *just like Tesla*. While their phones are not supported for decades, they are supported for WAY more than 18 months. I believe they go back 4 years as a policy, but that's because phones are more of a commodity than cars are and replaced much sooner as a business model. And weirdly enough, they have updates on demand! They don't roll them out to a few people here and a few people there.
Apple does controlled rollout too:
"We incrementally rollout new iOS updates by first making them available for those that explicitly seek them out in Settings, and the 1-4 weeks later (after we’ve received feedback on the update) ramp up to rolling out to devices with auto-update enabled."

Also, while Apple does much better than Android manufacturers, I know people that had iPhone 6 (out late 2014) and Apple ended support with IOS 13 release (late 2019), a 5 year time period.

That's like if Tesla dropped support for the early 2017/2018 Model 3.

Windows is the only one that rolls out to everyone on the same day and has extended support going to 10 years, which is only made possible by the factors mentioned.

As such I don't buy your claim that Tesla isn't following industry practice, by doing controlled rollouts where people get updated in a stagger matter. That actually is good industry practice as per above, given it gives Tesla a chance to have some early feedback and halt the rollout if necessary before any serious bugs affect too many people.
So I'm not sure what 'different components' you're talking about in Teslas. No, they don't manufacture every component, but they know what ever component is and how it works and how to integrate it. Their component list is tightly controlled. You can't just put any headlight or other component in the car cause it won't work. They may use a 3rd party company to send the updates OTA but all those updates are created by Tesla. They are a software development company in the same vein as Apple.
The point is they have to integrate them, none of them were designed with Tesla OS in mind. Whereas for a PC, practically every part was designed specifically for Windows usage (there is much more limited support for niche OSes like Linux), with the part manufacturer responsible for writing compatible drivers, including updating them when an update breaks them (which they don't always do, unfortunately).

I took my Tesla camping in Yosemite. Parked at 2PM after charging at 12:30 at a supercharger. Weather was 90 degrees. Parked in shade. Battery 72%. Outside temp on tesla showed 100 degrees. Fan on after parking. Weather cooled down to 53 degrees by nighttime. Fan stayed on 16 straight hours. Battery temperature crept up to 132 degrees and stayed there for the whole time. Battery drained to 27% by next day, and we did not have enough battery to get out of our location. I called fire department in case the battery went to zero and the fan stopped running and the temperature kept going up to start a fire at that point. Called tesla and they did not help, and still hard to get a service appointment. I cannot use this tesla. It is a new model Y, 2023. Cabin overheat protection I had off. tried on, tried no a/c mode. none of it made any difference. Did a soft full reset for 5 minutes off and restart, also no help. Disabled all devices too. Sentry off. everything off.
How did you read battery temperature?

Reactions: jcanoe
We incrementally rollout new iOS updates by first making them available for those that explicitly seek them out in Settings, and the 1-4 weeks later (after we’ve received feedback on the update) ramp up to rolling out to devices with auto-update enabled
Tesla should do this. They don't.

I'll revise my criticism to say that Tesla is significantly more inefficient and opaque about how they execute software rollouts than industry standard.