Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extreme battery loss on Model 3 (˜10% per day) since 2023.20.4.1. Contacted service and told this is normal (more info below)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a call from service, they think it’s my computer that is the issue. Apparently they need approval for replacement so they are going to keep the car for a while. I mentioned the invoice numbers I sent from the owners on here where it was resolved with RCM replacement, and they basically brushed me off lol. “We appreciate it, and thank you for that, but our techs are on it.”

Got a call from service, they think it’s my computer that is the issue. Apparently they need approval for replacement so they are going to keep the car for a while. I mentioned the invoice numbers I sent from the owners on here where it was resolved with RCM replacement, and they basically brushed me off lol. “We appreciate it, and thank you for that, but our techs are on it.”
Only so much you can do. Also, it could actually be the computer or another part that's causing the same drain. All we know are similar symptoms, root cause could be anything.

My tech is going to try to replace the "Body Control Module", because RCM is meant for seat belts so they were not really believing what I told them. We'll see. I told them to drive it around a bit before testing whether the car would go to sleep. In the end, they can diagnose and repair whatever they need to do... I just care to have problem fixed.

Luckily they had a loaner, so got one and drove out right away.

Update. Got the the car back today, much sooner than expected, but they did lose my key somehow lol. They replaced RCM and computer. Just drove it home so I’ll monitor it overnight to see if the drain has resolved. I do have one new minor issue now. My car displays as two different colors. Black (the actual color) in the visualization and app, but red in the software and service screens. Not a huge deal in comparison.

Here is the update a little over 1 week since the RCM got replaced:

Car is now going to sleep without a problem and battery is draining less than 1% per day, sometimes even 0.0%. So issue is solved

However, I Noticed that the car has been having some connectivity issues ever since the replacement. Whenever I get in the car after it has been sleeping, there is no service and can take up to 5 minutes of driving before it connects and can’t use live traffic or apple music/spotify. Not sure if this is related to the replacement but will keep an eye for the next couple of days

@greg1 @FlyAndy @danny pan since you guys have gotten your RCM replaced, have you noticed anything like this?

• Informative
Reactions: KenC

Car is now going to sleep without a problem and battery is draining less than 1% per day, sometimes even 0.0%. So issue is solved

However, I Noticed that the car has been having some connectivity issues ever since the replacement. Whenever I get in the car after it has been sleeping, there is no service and can take up to 5 minutes of driving before it connects and can’t use live traffic or apple music/spotify. Not sure if this is related to the replacement but will keep an eye for the next couple of days
Now that it sleeps. It drops the WiFi, GPS and LTE connections during sleep, and it takes more time to reconnect to get whatever it needs when it wakes up and talks to the servers and gets re-oriented.

Looks like my car is sleeping after they claim to replace the body control module. However, I see them drive a lot of mini trips, maybe they did a bit more than that.

Going to monitor for a few more days... but I think it's fixed!!! I consumed extra 130kwh last month. That was stupid annoying after they broke their own part over software updates.

Now I got a notification that I have another update available.... NO WAY... Not updating my car to have new bugs.

@greg1 @FlyAndy @danny pan since you guys have gotten your RCM replaced, have you noticed anything like this?
Have not noticed this myself, will keep an eye out. It's possible as DrChaos says that since connections are off while car is asleep that it could take an extra minute after waking up to connect to services again, especially if you have weak wifi where you park.

Reactions: TheWeb1000
Looks like my car is sleeping after they claim to replace the body control module. However, I see them drive a lot of mini trips, maybe they did a bit more than that.

Going to monitor for a few more days... but I think it's fixed!!! I consumed extra 130kwh last month. That was stupid annoying after they broke their own part over software updates.

Now I got a notification that I have another update available.... NO WAY... Not updating my car to have new bugs.
Just checked the invoice. They replaced only RCM on my car. Sounds like there is some sort of internal database of solution available to techs already as I got my car back within 24 hours.

I'm just amazed. was there a particular RCM date code for this failure? Again, my 2019, OE everything, is consuming pretty much zilch while parked.

Power.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: dakhlkt22
Ok, so it's been 6 days since I posted my energy consumption while parked.

I have gone from 0.0% to 1.7% in six days. However, during these 6 days, my M3 updated the software twice, going from 2023.20.9 to 2023.26.7 and then to 2023.26.8, so I'm guessing that those two SW updates consumed much of that 1.7%

Energy1.jpg

I have gone from 0.0% to 1.7% in six days. However, during these 6 days, my M3 updated the software twice, going from 2023.20.9 to 2023.26.7 and then to 2023.26.8, so I'm guessing that those two SW updates consumed much of that 1.7%

View attachment 965643
My M3 don't update from 2023.20.9 even after a reboot (holding 2 buttons) lol... I'm cursed by Tesla 🤣

Yes... So you don't have an issue. Don't make the rest of us who do jealous. :D

The service people can force an update but you can't. At least, not in any legit way I've heard. The way they decide what car gets what update and when is a complete mystery (and completely counter to software development best practices).
It's a complete mystery for the public, but not to Tesla software engineers. There are patterns that can be found that suggests it is vehicle configuration based (of which there are a bunch and a huge mixture of different parts). As such, I don't think you can legitimately say it is counter to software development best practices, given controlled rollouts aren't uncommon.

I received a message this morning for a new update on my 2023 MIC Tesla Model 3 LR AWD : it was the 2023.26.8 update.
I decided to do the update and see what happens. The car went to sleep after the update and then again, after driving it a short trip at noon.
Lets hope the drainage problem was due to a faulty RCM module batch. Because of you guys, I knew what to check and what to expect. I purposely woke up during the morning my car and checked to see if it went to sleep. It did, as the graphic below shows.

1692379157343.png

Last edited:
Reactions: lunaj23