Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Y has been losing 2-5% per day in "standby energy usage"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if any of you guys are using the Tesla App widget on your phones, or if you're leaving the Tesla app open, or opening it periodically.
That'll wake the car from what I've read. I'm using Tessie, which has a setting to not wake the car up, to check on historical data. Making any changes, will wake the car.

When I go up to my friend's place in Maine, I shut off Sentry and COP - since I can't charge there, and need to save battery to get home/to the next SC. Haven't had any noticeable issues.

Also make sure that you're not leaving a card, a keyfob, or a phone that is set up with the Tesla app anywhere near the car. Which also makes me wonder.. any weird RF sources nearby? I know the Flipper Zero can broadcast the AM radio freq to pop open the charge port. I wonder if something similar is happening that's waking the car.
Same as you. Very rarely open the official app, Tessie to watch the stats without waking.

Note that all these features, screen time, sentry mode, pre-conditioning, summon mode, cabin protection, and mobile app are listed separately from Vehicle Standby (see photo). So I have no idea what VS consumption is used for besides being a BMS “dump/block hole/balancer” number.
I suspect this to be the case. That being said, this is really crappy UX by Tesla. It gives the appearance that the SOC measurements are unreliable, which is not great for anyone with any range anxiety, or parking for an extended time at an airport, or anything else that would make unexpected drain a significant problem.

While I like the Tesla, I wish it improves its BMS before the widely general public adaption or it will get a lot of negative comments/complaints. Just this afternoon, I got an exceptional trip Wh/mile for the hilly profile (6 ridges) on my way home (210 Wh/mile for 23 miles) while only 5 kWh powered used. I was sure that the car would do its internal recalibration soon so I took pictures to record. Surly enough, after 45 minute parked in my driveway, the SV jumped from 0.8 to 4.0% while the SOC dropped from 63% to 60%. The excellent Wh/mile for my round trip (49 miles) from home to work reported by the car just too good to be true (227 Wh/m) - included city traffic, interstate, McDonald’s drive through etc. For reference, the EPA rated YLR is around 240 Wh/mile.

I hope Tesla just adjust the BMS system to report the true driving efficiency rather using a black box filler. There is no way my car can travel more than EPA rated miles (330) if I just keep driving without stops. While the forum filled with people posting glamorous Wh/m for short trips to augment the possibilities to reach EPA mile, no one has shown a single charge total mileage to such effect. The trip rates are just not reliable based my 2023 YLR. I would guess my best mile may be around 250 for single charge under the best condition (which is pretty good!), not the 85% power used shown by charged vs driving as shown by my car.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
While I like the Tesla, I wish it improves its BMS before the widely general public adaption or it will get a lot of negative comments/complaints. Just this afternoon, I got an exceptional trip Wh/mile for the hilly profile (6 ridges) on my way home (210 Wh/mile for 23 miles) while only 5 kWh powered used. I was sure that the car would do its internal recalibration soon so I took pictures to record. Surly enough, after 45 minute parked in my driveway, the SV jumped from 0.8 to 4.0% while the SOC dropped from 63% to 60%. The excellent Wh/mile for my round trip (49 miles) from home to work reported by the car just too good to be true (227 Wh/m) - included city traffic, interstate, McDonald’s drive through etc. For reference, the EPA rated YLR is around 240 Wh/mile.

I hope Tesla just adjust the BMS system to report the true driving efficiency rather using a black box filler. There is no way my car can travel more than EPA rated miles (330) if I just keep driving without stops. While the forum filled with people posting glamorous Wh/m for short trips to augment the possibilities to reach EPA mile, no one has shown a single charge total mileage to such effect. The trip rates are just not reliable based my 2023 YLR. I would guess my best mile may be around 250 for single charge under the best condition (which is pretty good!), not the 85% power used shown by charged vs driving as shown by my car.
Before VS phenomenon I was able to make about 250 miles on 100% charge. Short to medium trips.

Now the range between charges at most 225 miles.

The rest of range is on VS.

That's a good point. I'd honestly delete the WiFi password since you can't turn off wifi permanently (it'll come on next time you drive). I did that when I didn't want my car to get updated.

You'll get notifications when it's time to update, then you can connect to wifi. I don't think there are any others reasons to have wifi connectivity other than updates
Does that not exclude it from downloading new map updates ?

Mine has updated the maps once since i got it, and i certainly did not remember getting any reminders that a map update was available, i just noticed one day, that the map version number had increased.

Mine is allowed to use the house Wifi all it wants, i even mounted an outdoor wifi hotspot on my house outside, because the wifi reception of the Tesla is about as strong as the eyesight of Mr Magoo.

I also use wifi outside for my car charger so it is kind of dual use.

I also put it on it's own SSID, only available on that one wifi hotspot....Called TeslaNet offcourse :)

Before VS phenomenon I was able to make about 250 miles on 100% charge. Short to medium trips.

Now the range between charges at most 225 miles.

The rest of range is on VS.
Is Tesla able to pinpoint your problem?

My local Tesla service center could not identify any faulty for my car. I have not able to find real solution in the TMC forum except the faulty sensor related. My BMS trip and "since last charge" reportings were often too "optimal " at times so I derived my VS as a battery Buffer conclusion.

My True drive efficiency (Wh charged to the car/mile driven) is better since early September by 8% (from 317 Wh/mile to 292 Wh/mile. However, these improvement could have contributed from better weather (less AC use), no interstate long distance trip, and less interstate driven due to my commute route changes. I cannot determine my true maximum range for a single 100% charge since the parking consumptions (most from VS - 5-10% for each 20-80% SOC charge circle) at random times and questionable BMS trip reporting.

I just updated to 2023.32.9. I will see whether it will help.

Is Tesla able to pinpoint your problem?

My local Tesla service center could not identify any faulty for my car. I have not able to find real solution in the TMC forum except the faulty sensor related. My BMS trip and "since last charge" reportings were often too "optimal " at times so I derived my VS as a battery Buffer conclusion.

My True drive efficiency (Wh charged to the car/mile driven) is better since early September by 8% (from 317 Wh/mile to 292 Wh/mile. However, these improvement could have contributed from better weather (less AC use), no interstate long distance trip, and less interstate driven due to my commute route changes. I cannot determine my true maximum range for a single 100% charge since the parking consumptions (most from VS - 5-10% for each 20-80% SOC charge circle) at random times and questionable BMS trip reporting.

I just updated to 2023.32.9. I will see whether it will help.
I don't believe tesla can pinpoint it for now.
Previously they only sent a battery report that everything is nice.
Also after reading this thread I feel that it's a waisting of time.

My wife drove the MY for the first time in quite a while. When she got to work she asked me how to turn off Sentry Mode. It was enabled in her driver profile even though I know it was off when I drove it the day before. So my guess is the Sentry Mode is driver-configurable and needs to be turned off for all drivers of the vehicle. She turned it off and the SOC only dropped 0.9% during her 12+ hour shift at work. I drove it to work the day before and it dropped 4.8% and I was only there 10 hours. We just disabled it under her profile yesterday so I'll need to see if it holds up over multiple days/parking events but I'm cautiously optimistic about fixing this stupid situation. I get so mad every time I see the "Reduce energy loss while parked by keeping MY plugged in" message. Like the electrons are falling out of the charging port...

My wife drove the MY for the first time in quite a while. When she got to work she asked me how to turn off Sentry Mode. It was enabled in her driver profile even though I know it was off when I drove it the day before. So my guess is the Sentry Mode is driver-configurable and needs to be turned off for all drivers of the vehicle. She turned it off and the SOC only dropped 0.9% during her 12+ hour shift at work. I drove it to work the day before and it dropped 4.8% and I was only there 10 hours. We just disabled it under her profile yesterday so I'll need to see if it holds up over multiple days/parking events but I'm cautiously optimistic about fixing this stupid situation. I get so mad every time I see the "Reduce energy loss while parked by keeping MY plugged in" message. Like the electrons are falling out of the charging port...
I assumed this wasn't it, but I verified this wasn't the case for me. I have a service appointment tomorrow in which I'm sure they'll tell me everything is fine, but I guess we'll see.

"No issues found"... "behavior is expected operation"..."energy usage came from normal things such as 12v battery maintenance and evaporator core drying routines"..."well within specification"

So no.
They are what I expected after reading all these Vehicle Standby (VS) related discussions in this forum & many others. For my 23 YLR, the VS consumption would fill in the most of the % gap between kWh charged to the car (18% more) and reported trip/odometer kWh consumption since I hardly use other power functions during parking & having been charging the car every 2-3 days. Maybe part of the BMS game but I do not like it since it gives a rosy driving efficiency (thus Range) for the car. There are so many users claiming the car's efficiency based on trip/odometer reported Wh/mile but forgetting to mention the true cost based charged received by the car (based on the wall charger/after car charging report on the car screen).

At least I will give credit to Tesla that their app using the power charged to the car vs mileage for gas saving calculation in the end (unrelated to Range). I will live with the current 310 Wh/mile efficiency to drive the car. It is a fun car to drive.

• Love
Reactions: navguy12
They are what I expected after reading all these Vehicle Standby (VS) related discussions in this forum & many others. For my 23 YLR, the VS consumption would fill in the most of the % gap between kWh charged to the car (18% more) and reported trip/odometer kWh consumption since I hardly use other power functions during parking & having been charging the car every 2-3 days. Maybe part of the BMS game but I do not like it since it gives a rosy driving efficiency (thus Range) for the car. There are so many users claiming the car's efficiency based on trip/odometer reported Wh/mile but forgetting to mention the true cost based charged received by the car (based on the wall charger/after car charging report on the car screen).

At least I will give credit to Tesla that their app using the power charged to the car vs mileage for gas saving calculation in the end (unrelated to Range). I will live with the current 310 Wh/mile efficiency to drive the car. It is a fun car to drive.
If this is the case, then they need to stop hiding it in the Vehicle Standby section. This is horrific UX, I shouldn't expect to park my car for 20 minutes and come back to a car reporting 3-4% less charge.

Reactions: philips1000
Recently started parking my MYLR outside (with lows to close to 32F) and noticed it consumes more energy on vehicle standby than parked inside garage. Is it warming up the battery to keep it at optimal temp or something else is going on (e.g. battery SOC changes when cold and that number is shown as energy used while standby?). About 2-3 % per day so not much, but would rather not lose that if I can. I'm not using any third party app, just phone key, but car is within wifi range (it is connected to wifi) of my home so that could be the culprit?

When I parked inside garage (usually doesn't go below 55F), I'd almost always never consume energy on standby. I went home to see 1%drop after traveling/not using it for two weeks. On some days, I'd lose 1-2 % parking immediately after supercharging, which I think it's normal as I hear fan blowing to cool down/condition battery.

Any insight is appreciated.

To add to above, sentry mode is off b/c it is within 100 feet of my home. I also do not see snowflake symbol on the display and I have eveerything else turned off - cabin heating, battery precondition, etc....

Last edited:
Recently started parking my MYLR outside (with lows to close to 32F) and noticed it consumes more energy on vehicle standby than parked inside garage. Is it warming up the battery to keep it at optimal temp or something else is going on (e.g. battery SOC changes when cold and that number is shown as energy used while standby?). About 2-3 % per day so not much, but would rather not lose that if I can. I'm not using any third party app, just phone key, but car is within wifi range (it is connected to wifi) of my home so that could be the culprit?

When I parked inside garage (usually doesn't go below 55F), I'd almost always never consume energy on standby. I went home to see 1%drop after traveling/not using it for two weeks. On some days, I'd lose 1-2 % parking immediately after supercharging, which I think it's normal as I hear fan blowing to cool down/condition battery.

Yes, a Tesla will consume more energy when parked outside at freezing or below temps. It actively keeps the battery warm. Bear in mind you have wind chill effects too. Pretend it is an ICE and has a block heater and just plug it into a 120V receptacle when parking in cold temperatures…

Reactions: sgmstr

To add to above, sentry mode is off b/c it is within 100 feet of my home. I also do not see snowflake symbol on the display and I have eveerything else turned off - cabin heating, battery precondition, etc....
Disable sentry completely instead of relying on the exclusion (which sometimes bugs out) and check again. And is your 2-3% per day measured over a course of a few days? If not, it may just be a temporary lower SOC detection that recovers as the battery warms back up (sometimes it doesn't show the snow flake even in this case if it's just borderline).

Reactions: navguy12 and sgmstr
Yes, a Tesla will consume more energy when parked outside at freezing or below temps. It actively keeps the battery warm. Bear in mind you have wind chill effects too. Pretend it is an ICE and has a block heater and just plug it into a 120V receptacle when parking in cold temperatures…
It does not actively keep the battery warm when it is asleep. It only warms up the battery when it is awake, but the discharge temp target is way lower than the temps the OP is experiencing.

I have had this issue for a long time. I have never used third party apps and have followed any of the recommendations.
Recently I have tried closing the Tesla app on my phone. It pops up and warns me not to do it so it won't impact the performance of the key function blablabla but low and behold no more standby current.
This reminds me that I sometimes saw my car in the bluetooth connections on my phone when it was parked. Everything I could turn off was off but it showed up anyways. Since I keep closing the Tesla app I don't have the issue anymore.
Turns out at least for me its not third party apps but the official app causing the problem.