Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Energy Consumption graph WAY off after software update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New owner here, I have had my Y for 1 month and 1200miles.

I did the software update Wednesday evening that added the Icelandic language. Then yesterday I did my normal 36mile commute to work. After about 5 miles of driving, the "Energy Consumption" graph started going nuts and showing MASSIVE spikes and very high average energy usage. I usually get around 240-250wh/mi on this commute. By the end of the 36miles, my usage on that graph showed 408wh/mi over the past 30 miles. HOWEVER, the "Drive" screen showed that I was doing better than rated range. Indeed, I burned 11% of the battery going 36 miles which is pretty consistent with rated range (and past experience) and nowhere near 408. Nothing was different this day, it was 57F and dry out, and I was driving like a granny. I also saw this same behavior coming home yesterday.

Anyone else see this??? Very annoying it seems like a simple SW update broke this particular graph.

Attachments

• PXL_20230323_121813945.jpg
    PXL_20230323_121813945.jpg
    475.7 KB · Views: 482
  • PXL_20230323_121802748.jpg
    PXL_20230323_121802748.jpg
    406.7 KB · Views: 243
  • PXL_20230323_121750830.jpg
    PXL_20230323_121750830.jpg
    445.4 KB · Views: 320
Reactions: amo2u
Anyone else see this??? Very annoying it seems like a simple SW update broke this particular graph.

There is a thread here with similar feedback:

Since upgrading last night, I’ve noticed my “consumption” Graph is showing a average of 430 wh, but my trip odometer is reading 240 wh for the same distance/drive.

The sample size is about 150 miles.

Is anyone else seeing this issue?

Reactions: amo2u
Yes, mine doing it as well. I was driving 55 on flat ground today, and the Consumption graph showed me using 900 (!). Crazy. I had 82% battery, and it was showing me a range of 81 miles. As usual with updates, one step forward, eight steps back.

Same thing on my model 3 and it almost feels like how much its off is based on accidental conversion of Km - Mi.

My car is set in KM but numerically the value for wH/distance or estimated remaining distance seems as if its assuming Miles instead

I'm getting the opposite problem. I use to average 243 wh/mile (I drive like a granpa, I guess) which went up to around 260 when I got new tires, and then when the last update went through, 2023.12.5, my wh/mile got better (in the 220 wh/mile range) - definitely not a weather change or tire pressure or anything. I'll have to check the Energy app vs. the Trip box to see if I have the problem reported here.

***I'm on a Model 3 LR, so that why my numbers are so low. Just a reminder***

Installed last night. I also changed the Wheels in Service to the 18" Aero without the covers, so that did a reset.

This morning drove to/from camp (same drive all week). Temps were 73F and I didn't use a/c. EDIT: Forgot, it was damp but no rain, so I expected energy usage to be higher with wet roads the whole way. On the way home it sprinkled lightly.

This afternoon the temp should be 79F and I will probably use some a/c. Might rain, you never know.

The good news is the Current Drive/Since Charge/Odometer seems to be fixed:
31 miles, 6 kWh, and 195 Wh/mi. This is good and is what I expect. Did this same trip on 2023.7.10 and the best I could do is ~225 Wh/Mi.

The bad news - The Energy Screens are still off. I can try another wheel type reset before I run out. Its not going to be the same trip but its obvious the Energy shows averages over 300 Wh/mi which is insane and the unusual spikes to 600+ Wh/mi.