Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Y has been losing 2-5% per day in "standby energy usage"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Better yet, shut off WPS on the router. WPS is woefully insecure and easy to hack. IMHO, the extra security is well worth the slight inconvenience.
Looks like most of us are not WiFi related. For me, it has happened everywhere (home garage, office parking lot, dentist office, shopping mall, school roadside, Tesla service center parking lot) in random times (after drive & after charging, morning /afternoon). The randomness is truly puzzling.

Just yesterday, my 52 mile drive consumed 12 kWh (trip card since last charging - maybe too (good) optimal number - while SOC has dropped from 80 to 57). The car received 17 kWh (based on car) returned to 80% preset SOC last night. If the trip card is correct, 5 kWh was used for non-driving (the car did use 1.6% for cabin protection) activities. I will do nightly charge the same way to see if I can spot anything.

Maybe I need to be a race car driver one day to drive my car no-parking for the whole charge duration to see whether trip card consumption is real. On my way home from work through very heavy late afternoon traffics on the road and many stops @ signs with AC on provided me 230 Wh/mile average for the 25 mile trip over 52 minutes (6 kWh). Just an highly efficient number. For comparison, my car has shown many times it would use similar rate of power in vehicle standby when parked (3-4% in 30 minutes).

For yesterday, the car used 1.3% already on vehicle standby when I started driving out my garage (I did unplug the charger after reached 80%), 1.3 % on my office parking lot, and another 1% @ home before I plugged into the home charger 2 hours later after arrival.

But this morning, there is 0% parking consumption when I started driving (unplugged the charger last night after reached 80%).

My battery is regularly draining up to 25% overnight. Sentry is off as is Precondition. The overnight temp did not drop below 15c / 60F.
IMG_2353.png

My most recent test - I charged the car to 80%, drove it down to 15%, charged it back to 80%. Car said it used 43 kWh to get down to 15% and needed 50 kWh charge to get back to 80%. That's 14% charge not used by driving. That seems like a LOT. What are other people seeing?

I don't understand this new (not sure when it started, I assume with a recent SW update) behavior at all. This is charge to 80% SOC at home -> drive to work -> park at work for ~11 hours -> drive home -> park at home overnight for ~13hrs (not plugged in).
Sentry mode and cabin overheat are disabled at both locations. Work parking lot is huge and there's no wifi available. At my house I didn't charge but wifi is present. I can't figure out why it would lose 4-5% SOC at work just sitting there while it appears to have "created" charge while sitting overnight at my house.

Anyone have an idea of what else I can try turning off while at work?
1697211827405.png

I don't understand this new (not sure when it started, I assume with a recent SW update) behavior at all. This is charge to 80% SOC at home -> drive to work -> park at work for ~11 hours -> drive home -> park at home overnight for ~13hrs (not plugged in).
Sentry mode and cabin overheat are disabled at both locations. Work parking lot is huge and there's no wifi available. At my house I didn't charge but wifi is present. I can't figure out why it would lose 4-5% SOC at work just sitting there while it appears to have "created" charge while sitting overnight at my house.

View attachment 981872
This is very similar to what I'm seeing. Though in the end, if you go to the "Park" tab I'll see ~7% lost to "Vehicle Standby" over the course of a week or so. I filed a service request, we'll see what happens.

I'm starting to believe that "Vehicle standby" consumption reported by the car maybe a "game" played by the car's Battery Management System (BMS). As I posted earlier, my 2023 MYLR started to have these high numbers while parked when Tesla pushed out the new software upgrade by suggested 80% charge daily usage in late August. These VS consumptions (from 0-4% battery at one time) happened randomly in all locations while my car often produced exceptional "trip" Wh/mile in the range of 200-230 [maybe too good to be true (?) for the mixed interstate-highway-city driving profile]. So the car BMS just adjusted the true SOC after trip driving so it dumped the battery differences as "Vehicle standby" consumption. Otherwise it would be too difficult for me to find a device in the Y to use 3-4% of battery (up to 3 kWh) within 30 minutes or less. Note that I never paid attention to the "Parking Tab" before the software upgrade so I'm not quite sure prior to. With the old 90% daily usage charge, the longer driving range (90-20% SOC) provided between charges might have made me less sensitive to these numbers.

Note that my remote diagnostic by Tesla service did say my car would not fall into sleep mode sometimes due to 3rd party apps (which I never had any). From a big picture, my Y "trip power consumption" by the car vs "charged to the battery" as provided by phone app (I have a V3 Wall Charger) seems to be consistent. Before the upgrade (early September), it was 2494/2949 kWh (9303 miles), about 85% true driving efficiency. Up to this past weekend, it was 2929/3449 kWh (11055 miles), also 85%. The car reported the average of 265 Wh/mile for driving while the "real" efficiency is about 312 Wh/mile (including non-driving consumptions). Note that I do NOT use "sentry mode" and had no "cabin overheat protection" on for the last month since the weather is cooler now. It is also a moot point for VS since these categories are listed separately from "vehicle standby" in the "parking tab" anyway. If I truly believe the trip card consumption as shown by my Y, I just wonder where my 15% power has gone since my car has been living a "wonderful" life (over 80% time garaged, mostly one-person occupancy, and in an area with nice weather but HILLY driving profile)

While I wished my Y have better "driving/real" consumption ratios (lowered "charged to the car" power numbers), I suspended that the driving efficiency reported by my Y might be too optimal so the BMS plays game on the "Vehicle Standby" tab (still have no clear idea what exact the VS power is used for other than battery adjustment since other non-driving power usages are listed separately). I hope there is "better" solution from others with similar occurrences.

BTW, I like my Y so far. With almost exclusive home garage charging, the "extra" power usage is no big deal right now. I will just enjoy the car while Tesla improves its software hopefully.

Reactions: navguy12
I'm starting to believe that "Vehicle standby" consumption reported by the car maybe a "game" played by the car's Battery Management System (BMS). As I posted earlier, my 2023 MYLR started to have these high numbers while parked when Tesla pushed out the new software upgrade by suggested 80% charge daily usage in late August. These VS consumptions (from 0-4% battery at one time) happened randomly in all locations while my car often produced exceptional "trip" Wh/mile in the range of 200-230 [maybe too good to be true (?) for the mixed interstate-highway-city driving profile]. So the car BMS just adjusted the true SOC after trip driving so it dumped the battery differences as "Vehicle standby" consumption. Otherwise it would be too difficult for me to find a device in the Y to use 3-4% of battery (up to 3 kWh) within 30 minutes or less. Note that I never paid attention to the "Parking Tab" before the software upgrade so I'm not quite sure prior to. With the old 90% daily usage charge, the longer driving range (90-20% SOC) provided between charges might have made me less sensitive to these numbers.

Note that my remote diagnostic by Tesla service did say my car would not fall into sleep mode sometimes due to 3rd party apps (which I never had any). From a big picture, my Y "trip power consumption" by the car vs "charged to the battery" as provided by phone app (I have a V3 Wall Charger) seems to be consistent. Before the upgrade (early September), it was 2494/2949 kWh (9303 miles), about 85% true driving efficiency. Up to this past weekend, it was 2929/3449 kWh (11055 miles), also 85%. The car reported the average of 265 Wh/mile for driving while the "real" efficiency is about 312 Wh/mile (including non-driving consumptions). Note that I do NOT use "sentry mode" and had no "cabin overheat protection" on for the last month since the weather is cooler now. It is also a moot point for VS since these categories are listed separately from "vehicle standby" in the "parking tab" anyway. If I truly believe the trip card consumption as shown by my Y, I just wonder where my 15% power has gone since my car has been living a "wonderful" life (over 80% time garaged, mostly one-person occupancy, and in an area with nice weather but HILLY driving profile)

While I wished my Y have better "driving/real" consumption ratios (lowered "charged to the car" power numbers), I suspended that the driving efficiency reported by my Y might be too optimal so the BMS plays game on the "Vehicle Standby" tab (still have no clear idea what exact the VS power is used for other than battery adjustment since other non-driving power usages are listed separately). I hope there is "better" solution from others with similar occurrences.

BTW, I like my Y so far. With almost exclusive home garage charging, the "extra" power usage is no big deal right now. I will just enjoy the car while Tesla improves its software hopefully.
I agree with your assessment *BUT* the Wh/Mi reported by the car hasn't changed significantly since that update. It does feel like the BMS percentage reporting is basically just made up at this point though.

View attachment 981872
Same exact thing happens to me every day between home and work. Been happening for months now. 2022 MYLR.

Disagree.

Since I started to see the VStandby issue my actual range between charges is less. VStandby is actually eating range.

I am having the same issue as others in the thread. My YLR starts showing additional standby usage when it is parked and none triggers it to take up. I have the 32.9 installed and my 3RWD is 32.7. I don’t see any % drops on standby on 3RWD and the 3 normally parks at home or in some locations at an extended time.

What version of the software are you all running in Y?

Wondering if any of you guys are using the Tesla App widget on your phones, or if you're leaving the Tesla app open, or opening it periodically.
That'll wake the car from what I've read. I'm using Tessie, which has a setting to not wake the car up, to check on historical data. Making any changes, will wake the car.

When I go up to my friend's place in Maine, I shut off Sentry and COP - since I can't charge there, and need to save battery to get home/to the next SC. Haven't had any noticeable issues.

Also make sure that you're not leaving a card, a keyfob, or a phone that is set up with the Tesla app anywhere near the car. Which also makes me wonder.. any weird RF sources nearby? I know the Flipper Zero can broadcast the AM radio freq to pop open the charge port. I wonder if something similar is happening that's waking the car.

2023.32.6 for my 2023 MYLR. I started to pay attention of the VS since 2023.26.X software upgrade.

After 1.5 month close attention (taken more than 100 photos to record) for the VS & parking consumption, I'm just accepting that it is part of the BMS game right now. It is just part of 15% battery mystery for my car that Tesla needed to maintain the car running/battery conditioning. It might be there since I bought the new car in later January since my driving/input to battery ratios have been consistent at around 85% (even though my car overall true driving efficiency (Wh charged to the car vs miles driven) has been better since September - 294 Wh/mile for the 1846 miles vs 317 Wh/mile for the 1st 9303 miles).

I have observed a lot of crazy reporting by my car during the period -- SOC down 3-4% & up 2-3% after driving, up to 18% consumption for parking events in 3 days, No VS consumptions up to 2 days, 2-3% consumption by Screen Time during a short parking event while it was off (as far as I known), exceptional trip Wh/m (200 for a mixed 30 mile driving or 150 for a 2 mile driving not downhill BTW), % adjustment (both up and down) for all these non-driving category consumptions during a same charge circle, 3% over charge limit (83%), large ratio of power to the car vs driving consumed as reported, & excellent ratio of power to the car vs driving consumed (last night 31 kWh input vs 29 kWh by driving with 233 Wh/m for the 123 miles mixing driving in addition to 5.2% non-driving consumption - talking about Perfection!). So the BMS reporting is a guessing game at its best, in my opinion.

Maybe Tesla has provided too much information for drivers to worry about. As long my power delivery vs mileage ratio not getting worse, I will just wait for Tesla to improve on their MAGIC BMS reporting. Of course, if your guys find out something to improve the efficiency, please let me know. Thanks.

Reactions: navguy12
The "Parking" consumption continued below 20% based on the records for my attempted BMS recalibration (battery lowered to 6% & then charged to 100%). BTW, It did not change anything for my car range (314 miles) or BMS reporting.

SOC @ 24%, 10.3% parking, 7.5% VS
SOC @ 21%, 10.5% parking, 7.5% VS
SOC @ 17%, 11.0% parking, 7.8% VS
SOC @ 13%, 13.4% parking, 10.0% VS
SOC @ 10%, 14.3% parking, 10.2% VS
SOC @ 6%, 14.6% parking, 10.4% VS

Note that all these features, screen time, sentry mode, pre-conditioning, summon mode, cabin protection, and mobile app are listed separately from Vehicle Standby (see photo). So I have no idea what VS consumption is used for besides being a BMS “dump/block hole/balancer” number.