Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Expectations Blown away

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After seeing countless Model S videos and read several Reviews my expectations about the model s where very high.

I have a friend that needs to buy a new car and was looking to get a Cadillac CTS and I told him that he should check out the model S.

This past Monday he went for a test drive and I went with him. The Tesla Rep asked if I wanted to drive the car also. :biggrin:

WOW, my expectations were met and then some.

My friend ended up ordering a p85 yesterday, he didn't even wanted to check any other cars.

this is an AMAZING car.

After seeing countless Model S videos and read several Reviews my expectations about the model s where very high.

I have a friend that needs to buy a new car and was looking to get a Cadillac CTS and I told him that he should check out the model S.

This past Monday he went for a test drive and I went with him. The Tesla Rep asked if I wanted to drive the car also. :biggrin:

WOW, my expectations were met and then some.

My friend ended up ordering a p85 yesterday, he didn't even wanted to check any other cars.

this is an AMAZING car.

One more data point proving Elon's assertion that 25% of test drives convert into a sale.

I'm in the process of setting up a test-drive on Sunday. Gulp.

I was already so convinced about the car, I purchased it without a test drive. I have to say I am so happy I did so, because going back to an ICE and having to wait for delivery after a test drive would likely be unbearable. :)

My wife had the longer travel plans today, so she got to take the S while I was stuck puttering around in the Prius (I even had to fill it up! :mad: First time at a gas station in over two months). It is so unpleasant driving an ICE now, Tesla has ruined me.

Tuesday, drive home from work: sitting on a 2-lane road in traffic. a red Mini Cooper coming the other direction starts slowing down and waving frantically out the window. he stops next to me. a car full of teenagers, all with eyes as big as dinner-plates. driver's almost speechless looking at my car but eeks out "wow! amazing man. just amazing..." i said "thanks". the car behind him must have been friends following. another 4 teenagers, all smilling, honking the horn, and fist-pumping. i felt like a goddamn rockstar.

Wednesday, drive home work: stop at gas station for two hard boiled eggs, pork rinds, and water (what else are gas stations good for?). park next to a beautiful black Porsche 911 Turbo. driver inside of it fiddling around, maybe talking to someone on his phone. i shrug and go inside. come back out, and there's another 17-year old looking kid, looking in my drivers side window with both hands on the side of his head like he can't believe what he's seeing. i laugh and say "what's up". he apologizes and says he is crazy about the car. then proceeded to ask me a few very astute questions... "how many kilowatts is this one?" HUGE smile on his face the whole time. He never even glanced at the $130,000 Porsche next to us.

two takeaways:

1 - i am absolutely thrilled at the level of excitement coming from today's youth about the car. that bodes very well for Elon's desire to "change the world".

2 - i actually feel sorry for you California folks. Telsa is so common out there, the thrill must be gone. Even in a wealthy suberb of Washington DC, they are like black swans. people go CRAZY. it seems to be getting MORE intense, the attention and adoration, not less. last year, most people still didn't know what Tesla was (or care). but with the glowing press coverage, it's in that stage where people now know about it and are actively looking for them out on the roads. a very cool time to be a Tesla owner 'round these parts...

I have been getting a lot of "Tesla Time" and general attention here in Parker, CO. I know there are at least three or four other Model S vehicles in town (although I have not seen them myself). I am still surprised at how many people are very aware of Tesla now.

I agree with everyone, have had the S for 12 days and cannot stop taking rides. My wife is not much of a car person, unlike myself and I cannot seem to pry the car away from her. It does get lots of attention, even though I live in Northern California there are around 4 in town that I know of. Most people have heard of Tesla, but the beauty of the design gets the attention and then of course when you tell then it is all electric they go nuts. I keep thinking that the honeymoon will be over soon, but so far I'm still in love!!!!

I am reminded of the time I bought one of the very first Ford Tauruses that came off the assembly line back in around 1985. It was my first car. It looked space-age for its time. And had a digital speedometer readout, unheard of to most people. Wherever I went, people would stop and ask "what IS that thing!" and then when they saw the Ford logo they were like, "is this some kind of concept car!? it's unbelievable!" and I'd say no, just a Ford, they're for sale at your local dealer, etc.

Times have changed, but then, not so much... The Model S is just the latest new new thing. But I do like the hose-cutting aspect. First there was cable-cutting (no more TV), and possibly sometime this year, gas pump hose-cutting . . . I sense a trend . . .

I've noticed that too. I've had plenty of conversations with "older" folks, but it's the younger ones that genuinely seem the most excited.

it's funny because in general, youngin's are less and less interested in cars and driving in general. very different from when i was a kid and turning 16 and getting your license was the end-all-be-all of human existence. now they couldn't care less! perhaps they aren't as eager to go sit in traffic (smart).

that said, while young folk are less and less interested in automoting, they are discordantly MORE interested in Tesla. Proving that Tesla is much more than just a way to get from Point A to Point B.

2 - i actually feel sorry for you California folks. Telsa is so common out there, the thrill must be gone. Even in a wealthy suberb of Washington DC, they are like black swans. people go CRAZY. it seems to be getting MORE intense, the attention and adoration, not less. last year, most people still didn't know what Tesla was (or care). but with the glowing press coverage, it's in that stage where people now know about it and are actively looking for them out on the roads. a very cool time to be a Tesla owner 'round these parts...

Tesla's are getting pretty common in Silicon Valley and perhaps in LA. But you still get the full rock star treatment when you go on a road trip. I had a crowd of people staring in utter amazement both in Paso Robles and in Soledad (one of the people in Paso Robles even asked if I was "Mr. SpaceEx"- first time I've ever been accused of being a billionaire tech CEO!). The classic car collector in the Whole Foods parking lot in San Ramon even parked in the middle of the parking lot blocking traffic to ask what kind of car it was. And the parking lot attendant at the Gold and Silver Pawn Shop in Vegas was also amazed that an electric car could be so awesome.

So yeah, people in many parts of California are familiar with Tesla's (this weekend, my retired neighbors shouted "hey, is that a Tesla?" while I was washing it). But drive a bit and you still get the full Tesla experience :)

With all the good press lately, it's no surprise that people are happy to see the car.

After the Top Gear episode on the Roadster a few years ago, when people recognized it in a parking lot (at the time, most people had no idea what it was), I'd sometimes hear something like "Get a real sports car!". Fortunately that phase didn't last long.

it's funny because in general, youngin's are less and less interested in cars and driving in general. very different from when i was a kid and turning 16 and getting your license was the end-all-be-all of human existence. now they couldn't care less! perhaps they aren't as eager to go sit in traffic (smart).
I think a lot of the joy has been sucked out of driving by the environmental focus/guilt/hyper-sensitivity/whatever.

I think a lot of the joy has been sucked out of driving by the environmental focus/guilt/hyper-sensitivity/whatever.

I disagree. Many twenty-somethings literally cannot afford a car (or at least think they cannot). They may be saddled with student-loan debt, and may have been forced to move back in with their parents. In that situation, a car may seem like a luxury you can do without. A lot of middle-class families have been squeezed to the point where they cannot donate their older car to junior or help them buy one.

Another factor is that teenagers can interact with their friends by texting and using things like Facebook and Instagram. There is less desire to get out of the house to hang out with your friends than there used to be.