Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV your 'primary' car?... could it be your only car? Is it? Choose all that apply.

100% EV household? Multiple options; choose all that apply

• Only own an EV or (EVs); PHEVs count as ICE

Votes: 96 59.6%
  • Rented an ICE for trips

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rented a truck for projects

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Own a 2nd vehicle for (rarely used)

Votes: 53 32.9%
  • Own a 2nd vehicle (used for trips)

Votes: 13 8.1%
  • Own a 2nd vehicle (used for projects)

Votes: 17 10.6%
  • I can get to the airport for trips :)

Votes: 25 15.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a Ford Freestar Van that my wife loves to drive daily and we use for long trips that required space for 4 passengers plus guitars, guitar stands and also for car camping. We have a Ford Escape Hybrid which my son uses for college and I use for canoeing, backpacking, mountain biking and getting up in the mountains on two track dirt roads. I have a Model S 85 that is my daily driver to work, for weekend get away's with my wife and for my weekend photo safari trips. Since December of 2013 I have enjoyed "zero emission Photography". I used to spend a 1/2 tank of gas to take the photo's I love taking of Mountain landscapes where I live. When our Ford mini van bites the dust, we just may get a Model X. I plan on getting a Model 3 for my other son once he needs a car for College. So in the next 5 years we hope to be a total EV family. Time will tell.

Last edited:
I said 2nd vehicle only used for trips, but as usual this is a question being asked of one person when the reality there's a whole household. We on a single Model S, have an X on order, currently have a Highlander hybrid and a Prius. We have 4 drivers. So the Prius does serve as my backup for certain trips that can't be done reasonably in the Model S (I'm in the black hole of Superchargers in the Missouri/Arkansas area). We've used the Highlander for longer family trips when we need to haul stuff (like ski gear).

Still need ICE for track days. Until an EV can handle 60 minutes at full throttle on one change, and get me to and from the track.

3Pmf5q5mk5uQkwgw4dGMqCAP8RjUjrSa8mqtFQeIVNI=w841-h273-no.png

My 15 month old daughter has an EV, but it is slow and the range is terrible.

I3CEAW2J_tqaY0nwSVJ_9gCm5vKu-ajCNSknKlH83ik=w1000-h495-no.jpg

Last edited:
I will get a Model S when my current ICE lease ends, at which point we won't have any ICE cars. My wife has a BMW i3, and although it has the range extender option that uses a small gas engine, it's not really an ICE car because the drivetrain is 100% electric (the gas engine is just a generator).

Two model Ss here, and nothing else. This will soon be an S, an X (Sig #4), and an e-Golf for my daughter who is turning 16 to get to and from her high school. It's really not a challenge living 100% electric, at least here in SoCal. (And we recently took a 1,700 driving family vacation and that wasn't really a challenge either. Only had to charge at anything but superchargers a couple times.)

When I ordered the Model S, we thought we would keep an ICE just in case. We even renewed our Zipcar membership in case we needed an on-demand ICE. We thought maybe we'd use an ICE for road trips.

As it turns out, there is no need for an ICE ... we are replacing our second car (a Prius) in 2017 with a Model 3. Gasoline is dead. The 85D's range along with a dense supercharger network (at least in California) has solved 100% of our use cases. I drive 38,000 miles a year and yea, gasoline is dead.

- K

None of the poll choices apply. I have another ICE car, a BMW 323. It's not for trips, not for projects and it is heavily used... by my wife. So I cannot say I only own an EVs. However, even though we have the BMW, our Tesla is the preferred car for trips, especially long highway trips.

The Model S is my only car! use it for everything, never rented an ice, never will.

However I did consider purchasing a fiat 500e, use it for work/gym but the model s is too awesome to not drive everywhere

the only real thing the 500e has going for it is its size, tiny footprint and electric torque make it a city driving charm. when we get our S i dont think ill mind scooting around in the fiat for small trips.
plus if someone dings the fiat... oh well. if someone dinged my future S i would literally **** bricks.