Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Trip Planner: Auto-routing through Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,
We've added the ability to automatically break up a route to go through superchargers on EVTripPlanner
You can enter your endpoints and click 'Route Through Superchargers' and it will attempt to get you from point A to B going through currently open superchargers.
You can adjust the "max distance between superchargers" from the default for your car type.
We've done some testing and it seems to work well, but we really need your feedback.
Thanks,
The EVTripPlanner team
(NOTE: we haven't added European superchargers quite yet)
Great Website!

When will it be possible to use the European superchargers?

Just FYI, EVTripPlanner is also giving me erroneous routing -- it is telling me (I think) to double back from my destination to hit the Supercharger.

Here's the Route:
Porter Ranch, CA -> San Simeon, CA; Route through Superchargers

Gives (using Automatic Route through Buellton SC): [Note the Buellton Supercharger is listed as much farther away than it really is]
Take the 1st left onto Tampa Ave0:01130.10.90-0.0-122026
Turn right to merge onto CA-118 W0:176719.320.3175.22708301316
Continue onto CA-23 S0:07677.427.7262.6356591430
Keep right at the fork, follow signs for US-101 N/Ventura and merge onto US-101 N2:2467160.1187.719148.130157056276
Exit onto CA-1 N/Toro St toward Morro Bay/Hearst Castle0:00210.2187.91910.1423200
Turn right onto Walnut St0:00200.1188.01910.024030
Charge at Santa Yne in Buellton
555 McMurray Rd Buellton CA
2:5266188.0188.0191562987,1558,215
Take the 1st right onto CA-1 N/Santa Rosa StContinue to follow CA-1 N
0:435741.441.43610.725816631873
Turn left onto Slo San Simeon RdDestination will be on the right
0:01200.341.7370.117977
TOTAL / AVERAGE3:3664229.7229.722866.7290882310093
Thanks

All,
You can adjust the "max distance between superchargers" from the default for your car type.
We've done some testing and it seems to work well, but we really need your feedback.
Thanks,
The EVTripPlanner team
(NOTE: we haven't added European superchargers quite yet)

I could not find a place to enter a different distance between superchargers. Also, it seems we need to be able to set the "min distance between superchargers" so some of them can be skipped. As applied to the East coast through the NYC area, I find that evtripplanner is sending me to a supercharger much more often than necessary, and I couldn't get it to recalculate things after removing the unnecessary ones, without putting them back in again.

Thanks much for this effort! I hope you get bought out by Tesla so they can put your product into their navigation software.

Reactions: Dcam
Tried loading it on my Model S web browser and it would not fully load, with the map missing. Also, while there was plenty of signal, it appeared things were not being formatted as they had been on my Chrome browser running on a Mac. Will keep trying, and my longest trip to date begins tomorrow, from Annapolis to Portland ME. I think I can make it from Hamilton Marketplace to E. Greenwich, but it will be nice to double check with EVTripPlanner and its energy assessment. Of course there are plenty of SCs along that route, so it's just a matter of trying to skip as many as possible.

- - - Updated - - -

I could not find a place to enter a different distance between superchargers.

I did find under Settings the "Charger Radius" and "Supercharger Radius" with the note to "set to zero to see all superchargers", which sounds like it will make SCs disappear the greater the distance that is entered there. I tried setting it to 200 miles and still got all the SCs on the route. Then I tried 150 miles, and the calculation seems to have gotten into an infinite loop...?

To E Greenwich.jpg

More to come as I gain more experience with it...

Last edited:
I just leave that to 0 and it shows all Superchargers on the map. It occasionally routes you backwards to a supercharger, but you can easily click the x to delete that one site and then have it do a normal "direct" calc to re calc everything,,,

Hi Al, they are intended to show Rated Miles consumed at various points along the route, but there is a bug and they are not correct. We'll update in future version. Sorry for any inconvenience. Regards, Cliff.

No worries Cliff. Pretty impressive program. Thanks. I feel even better now. I just assumed I couldn't figure out what those numbers were telling me because I'm getting old. :smile:

I'm having trouble loading the web site on my apple lap top. I want to thank you for this tool. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

EVTripPlanner loads, but the home screen display is very distorted. I am on Mac OS 10.8.5.

Here is what it looks like on Chrome Version 38.0.2125.104:
EVTripPlanner-Ch.png

Here is what the home page looks like on Safari Version 6.0.5 (8536.30.1):
EVTripPlanner-Saf.png

I've had some real problems trying to use the EV Trip planner for the last two days. I cannot get on using my Mac, Ipad and now my office PC which says there is a problem with the security certificate. Any advice?

EV Trip Planner 120814.png

Our web host, HostGator, suddenly cut us off due to high growth in usage of the site (despite their claim of "unlimited resources"!). We had to move our server and it is now up again. We are using a self-signed certificate for a few days while we get our permanent certificate. You will need to hit advanced and accept the certificate to proceed. This will not compromise any security (i.e. our password is never passed in the clear). You might want to preview Planner version 2.5 at https://www.evtripplanner.com/planner/2-5. We also will have a beta of our in-car browser app coming out in January - it will provide real-time information on next chargers (miles/rated-miles/time) and lat/lon/altitude side-by-side with the Tesla Nav while you're driving.

Awesome. Thanks for the advice and all your hard work on this tool. I can't wait to take delivery and try it out in the wild!
Our web host, HostGator, suddenly cut us off due to high growth in usage of the site (despite their claim of "unlimited resources"!). We had to move our server and it is now up again. We are using a self-signed certificate for a few days while we get our permanent certificate. You will need to hit advanced and accept the certificate to proceed. This will not compromise any security (i.e. our password is never passed in the clear). You might want to preview Planner version 2.5 at https://www.evtripplanner.com/planner/2-5. We also will have a beta of our in-car browser app coming out in January - it will provide real-time information on next chargers (miles/rated-miles/time) and lat/lon/altitude side-by-side with the Tesla Nav while you're driving.

You might want to preview Planner version 2.5 at https://www.evtripplanner.com/planner/2-5. We also will have a beta of our in-car browser app coming out in January - it will provide real-time information on next chargers (miles/rated-miles/time) and lat/lon/altitude side-by-side with the Tesla Nav while you're driving.

That's sounds great. Looking forward to the in car web app.

Previously I printed out a spreadsheet with expected used RM at various points along the route, so I could keep track of how close we were to predicted range and adjust if needed.

Unfortunately I can't get the site to load this evening. Sorry to hear of your troubles (build a better mouse trap and get cut off?!?!?) I used the App for our recent Napa trip and liked the confirmation of details I'd worked out on Google Maps. Look forward to running the App in the car!

Unfortunately I can't get the site to load this evening. Sorry to hear of your troubles (build a better mouse trap and get cut off?!?!?) I used the App for our recent Napa trip and liked the confirmation of details I'd worked out on Google Maps. Look forward to running the App in the car!
Cliff, is your DNS setup correct? The nameservers for evtripplanner still point to hostgator's servers, but they are providing what may be a FIOS home address (71.110.109.32)

I see SYN's going out, but no response. Looks like 71.110.109.32 is either down, port 80 is blocked, or the DNS entry is wrong.