Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Disruption

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla tends to go where others aren't and there is plenty of activity at the small end of the market. There are several electric motorcycle and scooter companies. Lit Motors, based in the Bay Area is trying to get their design for an enclosed single person electric car built. There are also things out there like the Motochimp as shown on Fullycharged.

My SO's ex-husband was involved in one of these startups and his partner dragged his feet about scaling up and getting the design to market and now it's not going to go anywhere because several other startups have essentially done the same thing they were doing.

Small transportation vehicles are a limited market and they will probably always be a limited market. Motorcycles have been popular almost as long as cars have, but they have always been a niche market. Some people like the open air experience of riding a motorcycle while others use them a a commuter vehicle. Commuting by motorcycle in places like California has some advantages because you can lane split there and move faster in traffic jams.

However, the vast majority of the population has never been interested in motorcycles. In part the open air experience doesn't appeal to many people which could be mitigated with a shell, but most don't like the poor cargo and passenger capacity. There is a market for electric vehicles this size, but there are a lot of companies trying to get into it and it is limited compared to the electric car market.

That is a very valid vision... leaving open nonetheless other ways of filling in the EV market. Like you said, for commuting, day to day shorter runs, etc. This is what I mean, a much more "shrink-to-fit, almost appliance-like EV.

The other day I encountered this gentleman, who had just stopped to swap in a fresh battery:

1_Organic_Transit_ELF_05.jpg

It's basically an enclosed tricycle with a motor, a small battery, and a solar panel on the roof.

• Informative
Reactions: voyager
Small transportation vehicles are a limited market and they will probably always be a limited market. Motorcycles have been popular almost as long as cars have, but they have always been a niche market. Some people like the open air experience of riding a motorcycle while others use them a a commuter vehicle. Commuting by motorcycle in places like California has some advantages because you can lane split there and move faster in traffic jams.

You have to start somewhere. Approx. 95 million cars are sold worldwide each year. To interest just one out of a 1000 prospective buyers would already make for a viable production base. But the proposition must be strong and clearcut, I give you that. The good thing is that the people who might be interested (think SF, LA, NY, Boston, Seattle) also form an attractive bunch of trendsetters/early adopters.

The real EV revolution, the earth-shaking disruption would be if people start seeing EVs as what Elon Musk himself sometimes referred to as big household electric appliances. Then people would also be willing to leave the familiar square-based, boxy car shape for something lightweight and ultra low-drag. If cheap enough, they might use it as their daily driver... and have the 'big car' or SUV stashed away in the garage for family trips and vacations... or have one ordered in ('Car On Demand').

The personal mobility revolution may be as big as the one that took place in personal communication. We don't use those brick like mobile phones any more. We moved on to sleek, lightweight, versatile smartphones. Here is a comparison with the Jaguar i-Pace:

2%2BBIG%2Bsev%2Bvs%2Bi-Pace.jpg

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Sean Wagner
The Isetta is very much a city car:
Updated electric Isetta microcar ready for sale in Europe

According to the article above, it only carries two people and has a range of 74 or 133 miles (two battery sizes) and a top speed of 55 mph.

I doubt it would meet US highway safety standards, so it probably won't make if across the pond.

microlino-rood-blauw.jpg

Microlino is a Swiss undertaking to bring back a - you are right - city car based on the old iSetta. You are not allowed to use it on the open road in Europe either! Despite the cute looks and sympathetic initiative, my guess is that it will only contribute to having more cars on the road, since it has these very obvious limitations. Drive to the city in a regular car, park it, then transfer to a Microlino?

The New iSetta concept that I am advocating will be at least as safe as any small car that is street legal in the U.S. It is bigger though, and accommodates three. It is based on the idea that if the vehicle's occupants don't sit shoulder to shoulder, next to each other, you can create space, despite its approx. 60" width, which can be used for other purposes. IMO, at least Musk ought to take notice.

crash%2Btests%2B%25283%2529.jpg

Last edited:
The Isetta is very much a city car:
Updated electric Isetta microcar ready for sale in Europe

According to the article above, it only carries two people and has a range of 74 or 133 miles (two battery sizes) and a top speed of 55 mph.

I doubt it would meet US highway safety standards, so it probably won't make if across the pond.

I'm inclined to agree. The Smart car is basically a roll-cage with a roof and doors. It will be very difficult to make an even smaller car that can meet US safety standards. However, judging from the way people are zipping around on electric scooters, ignoring any and all road laws, running up on sidewalks, running traffic controls of all sorts, I think many people just might be interested an enclosed EV trike. 40 mpg, 20 mile range, ideally a battery that a person can remove and take up to their apartment to charge.

It rains a lot in Portland and I expect scooter traffic to drop off in October.