Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Charger Maps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I really like recargo, and the team there are a dream to deal with. We have all the Hong Kong sites in their system, and they added metric support for us in just a couple of days.

Hopefully they will work out something bi-directional with openchargemap. The combination of a shared open backend database, and recargo on the front-end would be great. In the meantime, I'm submitting to both.

Hopefully they will work out something bi-directional with openchargemap.
It's not through lack of trying on our part :wink:

I suspect recargo have commercial asperations for the data and don't want to risk that by supporting an open database. Ultimately, it will come down to the community to decide whether an open database is important and worth supporting.

Just wondering how to add a 1 chargingstation with 4 different connections
like presented in this thread Quickcharging in Belgium (DC and AC)
and in this photo
2011-07-11.jpg

Hi, I'll jump in with an answer, I'm the lead developer of the openchargemap database.

The short answer is that the current submission form is basic and only lets you specify one charger & connector type but if you add more details in the comments section we'll make sure it shows up with the full details. The form will get enhancements in the future.

On the actual database side we support basic to quite complex configurations of connectors and charging equipment, equipment can either be grouped generally or itemised very specifically (down to individual connector statuses, if available) whilst still sharing common location information.

On a related note, I sent an email off to mobi.e today, we could simply take the data and import it, but we'd rather ask permission first!

Just wondering how to add a 1 chargingstation with 4 different connections
like presented in this thread Quickcharging in Belgium (DC and AC)
and in this photo
View attachment 2248

Current Number of Charging Locations Per Country in the OpenChargeMap database:

United States: 1898 United Kingdom: 407 Portugal: 118 Hong Kong: 100 Ireland: 3 Australia: 1 Netherlands: 1

Volunteers are currently working on data for Germany and Austria... please help us by encouraging other sites to share data or contributing data yourselves... many thanks!

Hi Kevin that is great progress. For each country, could you specify the bilk sources that have shared data with you so we don't waste time by adding duplicate entries through the submission form. As an example, for the UK, do you have everything from:- EVnetwork (public sites)- HPC network- Charge your Car (Plugged In Places NorthEast, and SouthEast)- etc

I know this would be insanely difficult at this stage. but maybe if you gave them credit? If each charge site had a list of all the databases it appears on, it would One, confirm it's existence (more sites listing a charge point makes it more likely it will be there), and Two, after looking at a bunch of regional locations it give users an idea of who covers their area best.

I know that might send your users away from your site to other's but it would also set you up to be the first go-to site for EVSE locations (Like Macys in that Christmas movie). Of course by acknowlaging them, you give them a reason to share with you. It's flattery and good recprical business.

Kevin that's an impressive number of locations! I find that I use OpenChargeMap very little, however for a couple of reasons. First and biggest reason is it doesn't provide any detail on Amperage capacity. In Concord, NH, USA for example there is a Level 1 and 2, and a private location. But how many amps is that? Most level 2 can charge at 32A but not all, and some are capable of 70A. The other location gives no information whatsoever about volts or amps or type of plug. None of the Roadster Hubs (70A) that I know of are on the map at all. I'd like to add them but since I only own one of them, I'm not sure I should be adding someone else's hub!

There is also no way (at least that i can figure out) to filter for Roadster hubs or just 40Amp and greater locations. The Level 1 stations are pretty much useless to a Roadster.

I'd like to help out by adding/correcting the database information wherever possible. Thanks again for your efforts.

Current Number of Charging Locations Per Country in the OpenChargeMap database:

United States: 1898 United Kingdom: 407 Portugal: 118 Hong Kong: 100 Ireland: 3 Australia: 1 Netherlands: 1

Volunteers are currently working on data for Germany and Austria... please help us by encouraging other sites to share data or contributing data yourselves... many thanks!

For each country, could you specify the bilk sources that have shared data with you so we don't waste time by adding duplicate entries through the submission form.
as far as I'm aware only the US Department of Energy (US) and MOBI.E (Portugal) have agreed to share Charging Station data.... everything else is coming in from volunteers in the EV community.

for the UK, do you have everything from:- EVnetwork (public sites)- HPC network- Charge your Car (Plugged In Places NorthEast, and SouthEast)- etc
we have a couple of very active members in the UK and I think that most Charging Station data will be in the OCM database in the next couple of weeks. Once complete, we need users who verify/clean the data and record parameters such as charging voltage/current when using the Charging Stations.

We also need volunteers in other countries who are going to pressurise their favourite website/app vendors to share data... ultimately, this is for everyones benefit.

First and biggest reason is it doesn't provide any detail on Amperage capacity.
In many cases the OpenChargeMap database contains both the Charging Station Amperage capacity and the recorded line Voltage. Unfortunately however the end user interfaces (such as the website map) do not expose this data because they were only ever intended as demonstration tools for third party developers who were interested in the OCM database... today, we have some movement in the community to develop more user friendly maps and web apps....

Here's a simple example;

http://openchargemap.org/app/

I'd like to help out by adding/correcting the database information wherever possible.
that would be fantastic, thank you :biggrin:

Last edited:
I think it would be cool to have that info on the home page with a counter box that's updated with each add. Like a fundraiser...

The more I think about this idea the better i like it. It would get people excited and engaged to report new plug boxes in a common regional goal of reaching some [artificial] goal of numbers and/or time notation (end of year). Rallying troops is effective with conflict and a common cause. This technique employs the latter in a way that is positive.

A little brainstorming on the concept might even add a competition element. A 'Most new entries" (confirmed) award. Prize might be something like green energy credits or a solar provider coupon.