Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says AWD and Perf orders start at end of next week!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My observation has been that they start West coast when the deliveries must make it in that quarter. However, since these deliveries won't even start until Q3, it makes sense that they get as many east coast orders fulfilled early on, and then switch to West coast orders as Q3 comes to a close. With that said, I'm probably 1 month away from being able to order (3/31 line waiter, 2/22 invite to configure). Again, I'd like to be proven wrong and have the opportunity to order sooner, but I doubt that's going to happen.

Elon has to blow it out of the water on Q3 deliveries and Q3 conference call after the last showing.

I am beginning to understand now that many people here, not you completely disconnect TSLA from Tesla.

They would get international first if they could but I suspect they need to keep the new production closer to home in case issues are developed.

You people? No poo poo going on here and no pee pee either :)

I'm just sharing my perspective. I was looking forward to embarrassing other performance fossil cars priced around $80,000 regardless of class similar to what Model S does on a regular basis. Just a little disappointed that won't be the case in some instances with the performance 3. I might end up pulling the trigger in the end but this definitely was enough to cool the excitement.

I hope you are right about not letting the 3 get beat by the BMW in the quarter mile. If you are I'd bet the 0-60 will actually be closer to 3.0 than 3.5.

All the P3M3 production is going to get bought up right now anyway even at current specs and prices.

The current LR3 was heavily sandbagged to give the S a lesser beating. Seriously compare the cost, range and performance of the LR M3 to the 75D S and 100D S. It’s not good for the S. The P3M3 can’t be so good it canibilises the P100D - at least not right now.

Tesla either beefs up the S significantly or loses share to the 3. The S is going to HAVE to be better than what it is now. Once they announce the, you will see what the 3 can actual do.

Physics is not limiting the 3 - Tesla is limiting the 3.

Why would you beg the EPA to give you 310 range rating when you are actually 334. That is silly and dumb.

Elon has to blow it out of the water on Q3 deliveries and Q3 conference call after the last showing.

I am beginning to understand now that many people here, not you completely disconnect TSLA from Tesla.

They would get international first if they could but I suspect they need to keep the new production closer to home in case issues are developed.

They are also staying domestic to maximize the tax credit utilization. (look honey, EAP is free after rebate)
Off shore P vs US SR (no, not Russia)... that's a hard one... (unless the homologation is not completed, which doen't rule out Canada).

Why would you beg the EPA to give you 310 range rating when you are actually 334. That is silly and dumb.
To avoid the issue with cold weather/ rain/ Pb foot range complaints. Advertised 310 range achievable in average conditions keeps people happy, 340 range that only exists in best case conditions makes Hulk angry.

It almost seems like deliveries won't be until Q4. I've seen everyone stating 12-16 weeks but maybe that is just a placeholder. I would assume that Tesla would want to pump as many of these out as soon as possible to push for profits.

I don't understand what the whole deal is with this yet again murky situation for ordering. Just open the damn configurator for everyone that has invites, let us order what we want, and give delivery estimates accordingly. They obviously know when people placed their original deposit and received their invites. Seems like it would be win-win for everyone. Tesla can gauge demand and plan production, procurement, etc..and would eliminate (or at least minimize) frustration from the customer side.

If deliveries aren't until Q4 then Tesla is screwed. Tesla needs to start volume delivery of the more profitable AWD cars in July... a.k.a Q3 to meet Musk's boast that they will have a profitable 3rd and 4th quarter.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
Tesla either beefs up the S significantly or loses share to the 3. The S is going to HAVE to be better than what it is now. Once they announce the, you will see what the 3 can actual do.
Model S/X don't need to go any faster. If they want to maintain their price points they will need more luxury appointments appropriate to the price bracket, and/or more range, like 130kWh pack. Model S should get auto-open doors, and both cars should get the highest quality leather/suede upholstery (yes to the chagrin of the vegans), better interior materials, massage seats, better headlights, special treatment during service/delivery, etc.

Physics is not limiting the 3 - Tesla is limiting the 3.

No this is a GOOD thing. It was one thing to have a niche and cult like buyers being ok with claims ranging from exaggerated to outright false, lawsuit city to have 500k 35k car buyers wondering why the numbers in the car don't meet specs. Hyundai was successfully sued over 4.6 horsepower, and ONE MPG. If Tesla continues their past behavior, then the shorts will have their day.

Reactions: BHCLUC and sitter_k
What?

What reason would you have to assume it wouldn't?
What reason would you have to think it would?

Tesla initiated deliveries to a very specific group, namely employees. Why would they not do the same when rolling out a new option? They used employees as Beta testers with the original car, it makes sense that they would do the same with AWD and Performance. Not saying they are, but it wouldn't surprise me and it would make sense. 99% of the complaints regarding production and delivery have been assumptions made by reservationists. People hearing or reading a quote or opinion of something by a Tesla executive and then interpreting that as a promise or fitting that into the world they think is most important.

I would suggest we all step back, take a deep breath and get a nice hobby and let Tesla do their jobs. We'll get our cars in due time. Sitting around complaining about the process isn't going to make that happen any faster.

Dan

The LR was sand-bagged down to 310 EPA even though the testing resulted in ~ 330 miles.

Perhaps the P really is 310. That would be a fine explanation for why Tesla chose that number for the Model 3 line across all its variants.

They likely want the M3 to have 310 to fit nicely in their other vehicle line up. Owners will quickly realize they have more real life miles and will smile when expectations are beaten. I’d bet AWD is 350 if real world is 334

What reason would you have to think it would?

Tesla initiated deliveries to a very specific group, namely employees. Why would they not do the same when rolling out a new option? They used employees as Beta testers with the original car, it makes sense that they would do the same with AWD and Performance. Not saying they are, but it wouldn't surprise me and it would make sense. 99% of the complaints regarding production and delivery have been assumptions made by reservationists. People hearing or reading a quote or opinion of something by a Tesla executive and then interpreting that as a promise or fitting that into the world they think is most important.

I would suggest we all step back, take a deep breath and get a nice hobby and let Tesla do their jobs. We'll get our cars in due time. Sitting around complaining about the process isn't going to make that happen any faster.

Dan

Actually.....they have NOT rolled out the Performance THE SAME WAY .

Check out people who have been able to configure so far. Example: Ryan McCaffery being one has already configured. He IS NOT an employee. He IS NOT a line waiter. He IS NOT a current owner.

So....they HAVE NOT rolled out the configurator the same way.

This forum is the place to voice anything you want about anything....soo...... Ignore what you don't want to read.

Actually.....they have NOT rolled out the Performance THE SAME WAY .

Check out people who have been able to configure so far. Example: Ryan McCaffery being one has already configured. He IS NOT an employee. He IS NOT a line waiter. He IS NOT a current owner.

So....they HAVE NOT rolled out the configurator the same way.

This forum is the place to voice anything you want about anything....soo...... Ignore what you don't want to read.
You bet, gotcha, done, by all means, ignoring away. LOL!

Dan

Folks. That's what happens in a discussion when they are proven wrong.
WHOA now...you asked me to ignore you so I did.

You want to sit on here and bitch about your personal vendetta and then complain when someone disagrees with you? What happened to ignore what you don't want to read. The fact is that NOBODY knows what the reasoning is behind a company's business decisions. They are going to do what they feel is in the best interest of the company. don't like it...get over it. Don't like hearing that...well then, "ignore what you don't want to read."

Dan

If deliveries aren't until Q4 then Tesla is screwed. Tesla needs to start volume delivery of the more profitable AWD cars in July... a.k.a Q3 to meet Musk's boast that they will have a profitable 3rd and 4th quarter.
I don't believe AWD is needed to reach profitability. He said before that break even is 2.5k/week. If they do 5k of LR+(not sure if term First Production still exist) they should be ok.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
Model S/X don't need to go any faster. If they want to maintain their price points they will need more luxury appointments appropriate to the price bracket, and/or more range, like 130kWh pack. Model S should get auto-open doors, and both cars should get the highest quality leather/suede upholstery (yes to the chagrin of the vegans), better interior materials, massage seats, better headlights, special treatment during service/delivery, etc.

I agree with you. It's hard to get consensus on the 3 vs S because some focus on
-$ only
-Performance only
-Different requirements
-Overall Value

For everything about the S being improved on the 3, is that 30K better...?? (LR3 vs Base Model S)

3/31/2016.....second in line in Chicago Grand Avenue.

Congrats! Odd that non-owners are getting priority. You're not a current or former employee or ordering under an account of a current or former employee? I'm a line waiter, owner, "Dual Motor Mid 2018" estimate, initial invite 12/15/17, and pressing refresh throughout the day. All the cool stuff is still grayed out or not shown on my configurator. :(

Owner and day one early line waiter here and no dual motor for me yet. For those who were given to option to configure dual motor, did you have "First Production", "Standard Battery", or "Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive" saved in the Delivery Estimator? I just left mine on the default "First Production" but I'm wondering if selecting "Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive" makes a difference in priority or if it's just for Tesla to gather data?

Same here, 3 Tesla Owner, day one reservation. For me the website showed briefly what looked like the ability to order then it suddenly refreshed and now it is grayed out again. I cleared cache hoping a different result, tried again, but then it remained grayed our.

Ditto. Current S owner, Day 1 In line reservation (7th in line at Grand Avenue store in Chicago). Got my original email to configure on Jan 4th, but still no option for dual motors. If they are stockpiling cars, it may make sense to move from east to west, as they can transport them across country and deliver the most possible at the beginning of Q3.