Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Key Evolution-what's next ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Time will tell, I recall people saying similar things about cell phones when they first appeared. No one knows for sure what exactly A.I. Will come up with or the safety protocols being introduced. We will see very soon what’s next.

I like tech but here’s the rub, new & improved comes with a lot of issues/problems…..til it’s perfected. I recently visited a service center and tried to give them my key card and they replied “when don’t need yr key card or phone key” I was like whaaaat the heck!. The tech is coming way too fast and u, me, us we can’t stop it. The next big thing we use will eliminate our current digital keys. Like every phone opting out means missing out. Privacy-no such thing in the next decade….people who don’t own a computer or phone are missing out of a lot of things. They make it almost impossible not to have these essentials.

Nothing we can do to stop it……it’s coming and the next gen will be saying “u had to drive yourself to work”.

I recently visited a service center and tried to give them my key card and they replied “when don’t need yr key card or phone key” I was like whaaaat the heck!.

Had a mobile service call last summer. Of course, they needed to get into my car. Car was "off" and locked. He arrived a couple minutes earlier than planned. I went outside, the back hatch was already open and the insides had already been removed to get to the inside part of the side tail light. They didn't need my key card, or my phone key, or anything. Tesla can get into any car, diagnose anything that is diagnosable, and do it either on-site, or completely remotely. Cool, but kinda scary if someone not authorized gets control of that tech and permissions.

Had a mobile service call last summer. Of course, they needed to get into my car. Car was "off" and locked. He arrived a couple minutes earlier than planned. I went outside, the back hatch was already open and the insides had already been removed to get to the inside part of the side tail light. They didn't need my key card, or my phone key, or anything. Tesla can get into any car, diagnose anything that is diagnosable, and do it either on-site, or completely remotely. Cool, but kinda scary if someone not authorized gets control of that tech and permissions.
I had to remotely unlock the car for the mobile tech from work (I drove a different car so I could leave it in my driveway for them). 🤷🏻‍♂️

About the same here, but the mobile tech called me a few minutes before arriving to ask permission for him to unlock the car. I said sure, knowing that Tesla probably had the ability to do so since Day 1. I assume that somewhere there's a log being kept that documents who is getting access to our cars, where they're at and when. Doesn't prevent unauthorized access but at least keeps tabs on what's happening. Maybe next time I have mobile service come out I'll ask exactly what the procedure is for them to unlock.

They've had this for a while in their service center. They used to require you to leave the keycard or fob on the dash, but now after you schedule service, the app shows they have the ability remotely to put the car into service mode, which allows them to access the car without a key.
That said, I haven't realized they did this also for mobile service.