Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Key Evolution-what's next ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My hope of what's next is that my cars can reliably recognize phones as a keys. Very often mine can't, or walk-away lock is unavailable. Even when everything is turned on and set correctly and supposed to be working. At the very least, BT from the phone should work, but sometimes it can only open up with the credit card "key" even when the phone is help up next to the mirror, which is where one of the BT antennas is located.

From there, any extra functionality can be programmed, as Tesla and other companies have begun to add. My T app is very full-featured already. Much more is possible. I really don't want any eyeball scanning though. ;)
IF U own a tesla you ALREADY have a version of eyeball tracking....FSD and auto-pilot warning infractions camera tracks your eye directions. New scanners (future) are invisible and probably will utilize DNA, breath, retina, etc or some similar form of ID to open door and start car.

New dna I. D. scans coming that don’t required any physical touch, movements or eye tracking, walk towards car boom door opens, sit in seat boom car starts. The technology is that good and will once again revolutionize car keys….without any actual keys required.

New dna I. D. scans coming that don’t required any physical touch, movements or eye tracking, walk towards car boom door opens, sit in seat boom car starts. The technology is that good and will once again revolutionize car keys….without any actual keys required.

Except for the DNA part, what you describe is how a Tesla already works. Doors will unlock, the selected music automatically starts playing; seats, steering wheel and mirrors are automatically set to each individual driver, headlights turn on/off when needed, wipers will... (or might not - they still haven's got that right).

Reactions: PianoAl
Except for the DNA part, what you describe is how a Tesla already works. Doors will unlock, the selected music automatically starts playing... <snip>
Okay, I'm going to have to stop you there. For ages, almost every time I get into my car I have to tell the audio system to start playing from the USB stick that I have in the console. It doesn't automatically play anything, rather it has a "select source" prompt on the screen. It would be different if it returned to the FM radio, or even picking a streaming channel, but no, it sits there waiting for me to tell it what to play. It's been easy enough to use the voice command "switch to you ess bee" but frankly it's embarrassing to have to say this again and again when I leave home with the wife. It always does this when the car has been sitting in my driveway for hours but once it happened in the time it took me to exit the car, walk 30' into the post office, drop off a letter, walk back to the car and open the door. During that time (<1 minute) the car locked (since I took my phone) and unlocked like it should but the music system forgot what is was doing and again I had to tell it to play the USB stick.

Except for the DNA part, what you describe is how a Tesla already works. Doors will unlock, the selected music automatically starts playing; seats, steering wheel and mirrors are automatically set to each individual driver, headlights turn on/off when needed, wipers will... (or might not - they still haven's got that right).
For all those functions to work U have to carry something physical.........I talking about the abscence of ANYTHING.....Just your body. NO cards/keys/phones/chips

Wow. Some Dreamers in this thread :)

People have an aversion to too much automation/tech depending on their generation. Many also have an aversion to their biometrics being used (despite modern technology that prints/templates vs. stores) given privacy concerns (I've run studies on this). As such, any technology advancements like what are being described here ironically have little to do with what the technology itself can do and everything to do with the pace at which consumers are willing to adopt it. Sadly, I have lots of experience with bleeding-edge tech that the market wasn't ready for.... for another thread...

So, what's first? Ultra-Wide-Band as I post about in detail here. It's already in the latest model B-Pillars and solves the problems I'd be willing to bet will need to be solve over the next 10 years. Ask yourself how many of your friends and family will be willing to give up their phone for an implant or wearable within 10 years? Answer: only you early adopters (who are currently paying $700 for a lapel pin) - it needs time. Just like 5G. And 4G. and 3G. Phones aren't going away anytime soon.

Fingerprints are a step back and interestingly don't work for a large chunk of people (including me - they change). But since phones aren't going away anytime soon, we'll still need some tech improvement in this space to make proximity work securely and that's currently looking like Ultra-Wide-Band. Cameras are great but getting the right angle given current positioning (external of the vehicle) is going to be tough (when you're approaching a vehicle - not when you're in it). UWB does this well and without compromising your personal information and doesn't need cameras, solves the multi-pathing problem, and is already present in the latest hardware.

NFC is great but you have to tap - and that's an extra step that could be annoying. I find it unnecessary. Tap'ing will die within 10 years - that's my prediction.

So, the OP said "So what's next-ID or Eye scans thus eliminating the need for anything inorganic. An invisible scan to Identify you, unlock door and start vehicle. The remote functions we now enjoy (warm up/cool down/camera security) will all be done automatically. The key fob is obsolete and I fear the phone will soon follow."

Phones are going to be around for 10 years. Identification, unlocking, and starting is already done very well via Bluetooth. Ultra-Wide-Band (already in the latest hardware deployed) will make this much better and resolve security concerns as phones fully support this. Automating warm up, cool down, camera security is already easy via software and Tesla will improve this (just like warming up your battery when you're routing to a supercharger). No fear for the phone to soon follow - you've still got 10 years and a lot of baby boomers that struggle with a phone and drive Teslas. :)

The real innovations will continue to come to the 'while driving' space. Crowd-sourced based detection of ladders in the #2 lane. FSD automatic pothole avoidance. Unlocking/entry/starting of a Tesla is already great.

My 2 cents. It's worth at least 2 dollars.

Last edited:
nope, no chips, no rfid, no bluetooth, or any other tech U can think of----tech phobia, sorry people better get used to it. ITS COMING AND TIMES have changed. North America is soooo far behind, get your tech phobia under control or we will be left far behind while the rest of the planet welcomes these new scans.

And Tech won't sit and wait for us........it will by pass us or remove us if we continue to delay the inevitable.

nope, no chips, no rfid, no bluetooth, or any other tech U can think of----tech phobia, sorry people better get used to it. ITS COMING AND TIMES have changed. North America is soooo far behind, get your tech phobia under control or we will be left far behind while the rest of the planet welcomes these new scans.

And Tech won't sit and wait for us........it will by pass us or remove us if we continue to delay the inevitable.
You're looking at these as "advancements", like they have no negative side.
You talk about how it's coming, and the West is behind. That's not the whole story.

Facial/body scanning, retina scanning, etc... are all already being used, in countries like China. But it's not for anything as innocent as tech advancements for how to unlock your car.
China is using it as a form of control over their citizens.
They force their CBDC onto their population. And then use the facial scanning tech to keep track of everyone. And if they do something the government doesn't like, their CBDC funds get frozen, and their social credit score takes a hit, which makes it harder for them to function in that society and economy. And yes, they could use it to shut down your EV if you're going somewhere they don't want you to go. This is not conspiracy theory. It's already happening in China.

The West is "behind" Asia in that tech because it's an infringement on personal privacy rights, which most of Asia doesn't have nearly as much of as we do in the West.
So excuse me, but I'm perfectly fine with carrying my phone as a key, if the alternative is to give up my personal privacy rights. No thanks.

Reactions: uscbucsfan
Several cars have a phone key option but it’s treated as a secondary access option. The key fob is still primary. There’s still things an RF based smart key fob does better than a phone key, namely position/location detection in and outside the car. Even Teslas Bluetooth key fobs can’t do that.

UWB combined with Bluetooth based keys (whether phone or fob) could potentially solve that issue.

Does any car aside from Tesla use phone as unlock? 2018 is a fairly long time ago in tech terms, but I'm still the only person I know who doesn't carry a car key/fob.

Several cars have a phone key option but it’s treated as a secondary access option. The key fob is still primary. There’s still things an RF based smart key fob does better than a phone key, namely position/location detection in and outside the car. Even Teslas Bluetooth key fobs can’t do that.

UWB combined with Bluetooth based keys (whether phone or fob) could potentially solve that issue.
The other issue is a lot of them require a subscription. A lot of people complain about Tesla for price gouging, but this us one area where they didn't.

You're looking at these as "advancements", like they have no negative side.
You talk about how it's coming, and the West is behind. That's not the whole story.

Facial/body scanning, retina scanning, etc... are all already being used, in countries like China. But it's not for anything as innocent as tech advancements for how to unlock your car.
China is using it as a form of control over their citizens.
They force their CBDC onto their population. And then use the facial scanning tech to keep track of everyone. And if they do something the government doesn't like, their CBDC funds get frozen, and their social credit score takes a hit, which makes it harder for them to function in that society and economy. And yes, they could use it to shut down your EV if you're going somewhere they don't want you to go. This is not conspiracy theory. It's already happening in China.

The West is "behind" Asia in that tech because it's an infringement on personal privacy rights, which most of Asia doesn't have nearly as much of as we do in the West.
So excuse me, but I'm perfectly fine with carrying my phone as a key, if the alternative is to give up my personal privacy rights. No thanks.
With anything if used incorrectly is bad, but the potential for more efficiency out ways the bad. Speed vrs waiting in line for hours-trade off privacy. The point is mute it’s all coming and opting out is not an option. U like yr privacy great-go wait at the end of the line for SEVERAL hours. Again tech gurus will make opting out impossible.

With anything if used incorrectly is bad, but the potential for more efficiency out ways the bad. Speed vrs waiting in line for hours-trade off privacy. The point is mute it’s all coming and opting out is not an option. U like yr privacy great-go wait at the end of the line for SEVERAL hours. Again tech gurus will make opting out impossible.
C'mon Moe, as a Canadian, you of all people have seen first hand your government over-step its reach and abuse its power for control fairly recently.
Now imagine if they had already established a CBDC. They could've done exactly what China is doing now. Use the facial recognition to identify anyone present at any peaceful protest they don't like, and shut off their access to funds, without even asking the banks.

It's not a matter of IF the tech will be used "incorrectly", its a matter of WHEN, and that when will be sooner rather than later. Governments have proven time and time again throughout history that they take advantage of every opportunity they get to take away more and more of our freedoms. Every "crisis" that comes along gives them the chance to pass more laws that strip us of more and more rights to be individuals.
And it'll be the government mandating these things, not private "tech gurus".
So you are correct in saying that they will remove any way of opting out, short of leaving the country.
The next terrorist attack, or pandemic, or financial recession, (fill in the blank crisis) they'll take the opportunity to mandate their CBDC, and incorporate a social credit score, and it'll be over. Digital slavery. They give you the illusion of choice to keep you from revolting.
And again, this is not conspiracy theory. It is already happening. That illusion of choice is blinding you.

What lines are you waiting in for "SEVERAL hours"?
And it's outweighs, not "out ways".
Even airport security can't switch to facial scan tech in the near future. It's too easy to fool, and criminals are always the first to adapt to new tech to be a step ahead, so I personally don't want any airports relying on it. Criminals/terrorists would have a field day.

We can't afford to be short-sighted and stuck in our own little worlds. Learn some history. Pay attention to current events.
Don't only think of our own immediate selfish wants. Gain some foresight. Consider others, and consider the probability of unintended consequences.
So maybe you get to spend several minutes instead of hours in your imaginary lines, while many many others are being held down by financial repression simply because they've publicly expressed a want for change in their government, or they buy too much alcohol, or gamble more than the gov thinks they should, or they buy more beef instead of gov funded chicken. The examples are endless.
So no, I don't think the positives OUTWEIGH the negatives for the vast majority of people.
You may think I'm exaggerating, only because you haven't expanded your perspective past your own comfortable universe.
I used to be ignorant and misinformed too, until I started to read between the lines, stopped listening to only one side, and quit taking everything I saw online as fact.

This goes for everyone:
Invest some time in learning about these topics. Do your own research.
Educate yourself, from both sides of topics, and get a true understanding of things.

Ignorance is a lack of knowledge, not a state of being. I am very ignorant on many many topics, as most of us are.
If I have interest in a topic, I'm going to investigate and find several experts on that topic (preferably some opposing experts), absorb as much as I can from them. Then I can start to mold my own opinions once I can grasp all sides of something.
But that takes a personal commitment. That takes time. That takes more than just skimming headlines, or hearing a couple podcasts.

The world is not black and white. The details are in the grays. And life is in color. So while we go about our daily lives in living color, we must go out of our way to pay attention to the detailed, boring, often overlooked, grays.

Sorry about getting a bit off topic. Wasn't intending to get so deep. But indirectly, the tech topic does relate.

If a fingerprint reader is the only way to authenticate a driver, I'd pass on that vehicle. I've been using trying to use the FPR on my Samsung phone for several years and with the way my fingers dry out every couple of months, I'm constantly having to re-train the biometric system. At least with a phone I can always type in my PIN to get access when my fingerprint(s) are not recognized.
Why don't you just train it when you have dry hands and when you don't? Have different scans of the same finger...