Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon says AWD and Perf orders start at end of next week!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do not underestimate the value of the massive Supercharger network. It is crucial on long drives and road trips.

Man, can't wait to start designing my Performance Model 3, and fiddle endlessly with the knobs in the configurator. I should set up a Twitch channel for that purpose.
Roadtrips in an EV still requires more planning than an ICE/PHEV....supercharger or no supercharger. The one trip over 200 miles one way I make a year I'll take the no compromise ICE/PHEV.

Roadtrips in an EV still requires more planning than an ICE/PHEV....supercharger or no supercharger. The one trip over 200 miles one way I make a year I'll take the no compromise ICE/PHEV.
We're getting off topic, but...

Marginally. Last month we up and took a 3600 mile road trip, with zero warning. The only extra planning was on our pit-stops for the night we happened to choose a hotel that was near a supercharger. We did that while en-route. And our final destination we didn't choose our hotel, so we looked for charging around, and found a Chademo but no superchargers, so re-routed slightly to stop by a Tesla service center to pick up a Chademo adapter.

It was expected to be cheaper, because Tesla's been banging on about lowering the cost of batteries for as long as I can remember.

The battery isn't better than the Model S battery. It can't be charged as fast and it's no denser. It's just designed to be cheaper to make. But that's OK: cheaper is what's really important, because cheaper is needed to sell in really high volumes.

And, actually, no, when things are improved, the price doesn't go up. The improvement and R&D is required due to competition. There are burst when new things are expensive, but ultimately the prices settle back down. What really adds to cost are _added_ features. But the cost of those added features also reduces over time.

My $100 smartphone is 3 1/2 years old and when I have to replace it (hopefully not for a few years yet) I can guarantee that if I get another $100 smartphone it will have a better processor, more memory, more storage, more battery capacity and better cameras. Those of us who live away from the bleeding edge just laugh at the flagship phone price insanity and get to enjoy better and/or cheaper phones.
Tesla did lower the cost of the battery.

They probably lowered their costs, however they are a company. I know the expectation is that ALL companies should pass cost savings on to their customers however its not a crime nor a sin if they don't. Tesla ISN'T a non for profit company. They are for profit - even if they haven't been making much of it since their inception.

All I know is that the price of my cell phones keeps going up. When I first started with my Motorola/NEC block phone it was $300. My Samsung Galaxy Note 8 is vastly greater and vastly more expensive.

The model Y is supposed to have vastly fewer parts and wiring than any vehicle Tesla has made......and I would be shocked if the price point remains the same.

Where I believe Tesla is making tons of profit is on software and features....not hardware. It costs almost nothing to duplicate software and distribute it. EAP and FSD and such are pure profit....and I love that they can do that.

Anyway.....I'm not here to argue on these here good days.....I agree to disagree.

Maybe....but on road trips....I'll be going wherever and whenever I need to go in an ICE/PHEV. Again....I'm talking about road trips...everyday...I'm rolling in my EV. Gotta pick the right tool for the job/mission.
I'm all about the right tool for the mission too, but owning a Tesla accelerated my dislike for all things ICE and I don't think I'm unusual. When I drive my remaining ICE vehicles all I can think about are the compromises associated with them and can't wait to replace them. Even my 4x4 camper van which I used to love. But we all have different use cases. Just wanted to point out that I see lots of compromises with PHEV/ICE, (even on long road trips) so wanted to not let that go unchallenged. :)

Tesla did lower the cost of the battery.

They probably lowered their costs, however they are a company. I know the expectation is that ALL companies should pass cost savings on to their customers however its not a crime nor a sin if they don't. Tesla ISN'T a non for profit company. They are for profit - even if they haven't been making much of it since their inception.

All I know is that the price of my cell phones keeps going up. When I first started with my Motorola/NEC block phone it was $300. My Samsung Galaxy Note 8 is vastly greater and vastly more expensive.

The model Y is supposed to have vastly fewer parts and wiring than any vehicle Tesla has made......and I would be shocked if the price point remains the same.

Anyway.....I'm not here to argue on these here good days.....its just how I have run my company.
Agreed. It's completely within Tesla's rights, and probably a good business decision, to start making money hand-over-fist on Model 3. Gotta make up for all the capital they've spent to this point, and be able to fund future development on their own. Look at SpaceX - they're re-using entire rockets nearly every launch now, yet are only passing on a modest savings to their customers. Instead, they're taking the money and investing in themselves to develop the next generation that wouldn't have been possible to get any investor to buy into with external money.

Have to agree that 3.5 is the best you can expect. Tesla was never going to let the P3D get close to the P100. Guess we will all know in a few months when the first ones hit the drag strip.

We really need to stop comparing the Model S and Model 3. They are totally different cars that aren't in competition with one another.

Neither is the BMW 3 series in competition with the BMW 7 series.

There won't be much to fiddle with, if you recall what Elon said. It's all bundled together. Your only choices for Performance appear to be interior color and exterior color.
That was slightly tongue-in-cheek.
But then again, just deciding on color can keep me in there for a while...

Am thinking red again. Franz' car looks awesome. We're getting those wheels in the dark color, right?

Reactions: xhawk101
To be faster than a BMW M3 at a track would require major upgrades but I have a feeling that claim is not backed up by any data.
Then you don’t know Elon

Hmm....at this price point....I gotta wait to see what the Mission E has to offer. Yeah...no supercharger, and "autopilot"....but I'm thinking Porsche Adaptive Cruise, PASM, other Porsche gadgets, and the Porsche Key Fob so I can show off to my peeps will make up for it. Oh....and the Mission E could be less expensive cuz of the fed tax credit.

Mission E will kill you with the options, guaranteed.

Agreed. It's completely within Tesla's rights, and probably a good business decision, to start making money hand-over-fist on Model 3. Gotta make up for all the capital they've spent to this point, and be able to fund future development on their own. Look at SpaceX - they're re-using entire rockets nearly every launch now, yet are only passing on a modest savings to their customers. Instead, they're taking the money and investing in themselves to develop the next generation that wouldn't have been possible to get any investor to buy into with external money.

Exactly...and they are trying to do all of this from here on out with house money. Elon was specifically asked by a shorter on the past earnings call and I'm 20000% confident Elon was waiting for that question and proudly said " NO " they aren't seeking funding. That's fantastic.

Profits are on the way.

Reactions: preilly44
Oh....and the Mission E could be less expensive cuz of the fed tax credit.

Or Federal tax credit can be eliminated by the time Mission E arrives State side.

I will wager we see a $35k Model 3 two years before we see an $85k Mission E at a US Porsche dealer.

First year Mission E will have an ASP of $135k+.

My road tripping consist of LA to SF, LA to Vegas, and LA to Tijuana.

Zero planning. Get in Model S and go.

There will be no M3 ludicrous mode. Elon has stated that the MS will have higher performance than the M3
Sure the Model S will have higher performance as it stands today. Show me a Model 3 version with a 2.3 0-60 time.

He also told Vignesh Raju it would. Vignesh asked if the Model 3 would have Ludicrous mode....Elon : Of course.

Which Elon will you believe? Choose ye this day.....

Elon Musk on Twitter

Elon Musk confirms Ludicrous Mode for the Tesla Model 3

Either way.....its a happy day!!!

Reactions: Timo and e-FTW