Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so basically after less than 3 years Tesls is telling us that updates increasingly won't matter feature wise if you don't have the AMD processor... and you cant even get a retrofit ....

TBF, MCU 2 is from 2017 (introduced in the Model 3), so quite a bit more than 3 years old. But yeah really weird they didn't think of retrofit in designing MCU3- nice revenue opportunity lost.

Sorry I thought you were talking about lifespan from start of MCU2, not the end of it
yeah. just painting the worst case. Buying a Model 3 in November '21 and being told ~2.5 years later that the latest update largely doesn't full feature support it anymore is wild. The intel MCU is plenty capable to show different visualizations. More a developer resource issue and Tesla deciding not to go out of its way to make it work on intel MCUs.

didn't AMD get introduced in December '21 ? so if you bought a model 3 in november '21 ... you are out of luck now regarding major update features?

Yup. I have a Model Y that's technically a "2022" year-model. It was delivered to me as a new vehicle in Dec '21, and it has the older ARM chip (MCU 2). As a new customer, I had no idea about these details of course, or I would've rejected it and waited on an AMD model. The car is only ~2.5 years old for us now, but the MCU is already showing its age. We drive a ton of miles, I think we're currently at ~72K miles in that time. Paid for $10K for FSD based on the sales shtick about it being imminently complete and usable as well, and then had to be part of the group that kept safety-scoring for ~6 months until SS-beta went to a fresh wave in mid-2022. Lots of things about this transaction annoy me in hindsight. On the other hand, I love the car and it's pretty amazing to get a front row seat to the evolution of the tech, so there's that :)

What I don’t understand about all this drama is why Tesla can’t develop new car models and a robotaxi at the same time. Robotaxis, especially as Tesla envisions them, are mostly a software problem so how many people can Tesla actually pull from other projects?
Ironically horse carriages are more autonomous than FSD is right now.

What I don’t understand about all this drama is why Tesla can’t develop new car models and a robotaxi at the same time. Robotaxis, especially as Tesla envisions them, are mostly a software problem so how many people can Tesla actually pull from other projects?
Ironically horse carriages are more autonomous than FSD is right now.
I think Tesla is actually developing both at the same time, but prioritizing roboTaxi. There are differences. For example do you want doors that auto close for a robotaxi? I'm hoping that Tesla rethinks the FSD hardware and adds additional cameras. Probably needs a couple of microphones that can listen externally and additional indoor cameras to make sure occupants aren't trashing the car.

I think Tesla is actually developing both at the same time, but prioritizing roboTaxi. There are differences. For example do you want doors that auto close for a robotaxi? I'm hoping that Tesla rethinks the FSD hardware and adds additional cameras. Probably needs a couple of microphones that can listen externally and additional indoor cameras to make sure occupants aren't trashing the car.
It just doesn’t seem that hard to make multiple variants of the same platform. BMW makes 7 suvs, 6 cars, 4 evs, and a sports car right now. And a lot of those are available in different body styles.
For the robotaxi just slap on some better self cleaning cameras, sliding doors, steer by wire, and call it a day.
Really seems like they’re getting the cart before the horse.