Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wonder what the failure of the Dojo system was. Since it seems that it can't be fixed and Elon is so pessimistic does it seem that the chip's architecture was flawed or at least poorly designed for the tasks?
It's not about the chip per se. In order to build a scalable super computer there are a lot of stuff you need to build (operating system, scheduler, networking, et c et c.). Then you need to port pytorch and everything else and optimize it. It was hubris to try to build it all in house.

Just wonder what the failure of the Dojo system was. Since it seems that it can't be fixed and Elon is so pessimistic does it seem that the chip's architecture was flawed or at least poorly designed for the tasks?

Tesla is quiet about D2 chip specifics or integrating into Dojo. Elon said the hardest part was getting the cluster to work. There were probably more than a few issues. Some high performance computer folks say the D2 is a lab queen beast and a daunting task to attempt. Tesla will likely never recover all that time and money lost.

And then there's the D1 Dojo cluster of ~3000 chips in 2021. More recently Tesla opted for ~10,000 NVDA H100 GPUs around the time the D2 cookie crumbled. I'm not sure Tesla can officially call NVDA clusters Dojo. If so dojo might be DOA-jo.

Bizarre this would be in the plans fleet-wide but not have been done during the Highland refresh of 3
The early pics showed it so it is likely all the wiring and mounting are in place. I suspect Tesla removed it before release because they didn't want to deprecate the Y any more than they already were. Which means there may be an upgrade path for Highland buyers.

• Informative
Reactions: VanFriscia
The early pics showed it so it is likely all the wiring and mounting are in place. I suspect Tesla removed it before release because they didn't want to deprecate the Y any more than they already were. Which means there may be an upgrade path for Highland buyers.

I know on HW4 Model Ys at least it's neither wired, nor is it even populated on the HW4 computer--- is there any evidence production Model 3s got HW4 with wiring or a populated connector on the computer?

I know on HW4 Model Ys at least it's neither wired, nor is it even populated on the HW4 computer--- is there any evidence production Model 3s got HW4 with wiring or a populated connector on the computer?
Since there is no tear down yet we can only speculate but the early test cars had it and Tesla even accidentally showed a Model 3 with it on the Chinese Tesla website. Here is a Tesla website screen grab.

Screenshot 2024-03-01 at 12.08.17 PM.png

It's "the same board" just not populated completely because they don't plan on retrofitting those cars.

No, it's not the same board that they just didn't solder a connector. Green specifically called that out in the quote I provided, see the part in parenthesis.

Green said:
hw4 does not have the connector soldered to the pcb (nor does it have other logic on the pcb to support it)