Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
and can't recall it ever aborting out of an attempt while you consider that "usual"

I redid the parking. Cleaned rear camera of water drops even though it looked fine in prior picture.

I did not have a single abort (6 or 7 attempts). Not sure why it has aborted twice in this location - I suspect maybe water on the cameras played a role, though I would not be surprised if I randomly see it in future. Anyway, for my particular spot I was able to reliably get it to engage and complete this time.

But it was still much slower than just parking myself (about 3x slower), which has been my main complaint.

While we await another Tweet from Elon about the mind-blowing ASS we are about to get our hands on with FSD Beta v12, here is the current state of play for ASS-associated features:

Manual Park:

Auto Park - about 3x slower, and not entirely sure I can trust it while gathering my things, even if it did take me 40 seconds to do so (which it does not):

Tried it again this evening. You can see the open spot between the grey car and the maroon car - I drove past the spot, put the car in reverse and…nothing. After I started to back in it seemed to recognize the spot. I was able to turn the wheel and back right in so the car was perfectly positioned.
IMG_3806.jpeg
IMG_3807.jpeg

From earnings call:
I think they (other car companies) don't believe it (FSD) is real, quite yet. I think that will become obvious probably this year.
(These were Elon’s words.) Very optimistic! What will change this year vs. prior years?

Reactions: KArnold
Attempt at quoting Elon's words:
We have significant orders of nVidia NPUs.
A lot of our progress in self driving is training limited.
We are pursing the dual path nVidia and Dojo. Dojo is a long shot. Dojo is up and running and doing training jobs. Updated versions are in the works.
Inference hardware: we are about to complete design of hardware version 5. We are making gigantic improvements in each version.

Last edited:
FSD V12 which is a complete architectural rewrite. End to end AI. Nothing but nets. Photons in and controls out.
Will be rolling to all customers in the U.S. in the weeks to come, over 400K vehicles in North America. 330K lines of C++ code replaced with neural nets.

Reactions: RabidYak
Tried it again this evening. You can see the open spot between the grey car and the maroon car - I drove past the spot, put the car in reverse and…nothing. After I started to back in it seemed to recognize the spot. I was able to turn the wheel and back right in so the car was perfectly positioned.
View attachment 1011674View attachment 1011675
Not sure if the spot was on your right or your left (it looked like it was on the left from your picture but may have just been the way you took it). I haven't been able to get it to recognize spots to the left no matter how close I am to them. I have no idea whether this is an actual restriction or not.

• Informative
Reactions: sleepydoc
Not sure if the spot was on your right or your left (it looked like it was on the left from your picture but may have just been the way you took it). I haven't been able to get it to recognize spots to the left no matter how close I am to them. I have no idea whether this is an actual restriction or not.
the spot was on the left so what you describe may well be the issue.

FSD will finally get out of beta. I don't think other OEMs want beta software in their vehicles!
Licensing revenue from V12 is going to be crazy once it's out of beta.

Again though- Beta is just a word Tesla is using (and not even in the way most in the SW industry use it)- It has no legal or liability meaning at all...

"FSD is out of beta" has 0 objective meaning besides "Tesla removed the label"

The licensing thing, barring a major step-improvement in functionality, continues to be imaginary- as even Elon seemed to admit on the recent call with his "they don't believe it exists" remark.

Licensing use of superchargers took 7 years from Elon suggesting it would be a thing to actually happening, and Superchargers at least physically exist.

Again though- Beta is just a word Tesla is using (and not even in the way most in the SW industry use it)- It has no legal or liability meaning at all...

"FSD is out of beta" has 0 objective meaning besides "Tesla removed the label"

The licensing thing, barring a major step-improvement in functionality, continues to be imaginary- as even Elon seemed to admit on the recent call with his "they don't believe it exists" remark.

Licensing use of superchargers took 7 years from Elon suggesting it would be a thing to actually happening, and Superchargers at least physically exist.
You think unsupervised FSD will still have beta label?

You think unsupervised FSD will still have beta label?

I think having it or not means literally nothing in any version was my primary point there. They can stop calling FSD beta today or in 10 years, and neither would matter to anything legally or functionally.

I also think (sufficiently safe, and general) unsupervised FSD is still a thing that only exists in the realm of fantasy and imagination FWIW, and don't believe current HW will get you to it ever. Maybe L3 or L4 highway in weather-limited ODDs or something, but not L5.

I think having it or not means literally nothing in any version was my primary point there. They can stop calling FSD beta today or in 10 years, and neither would matter to anything legally or functionally.

I also think (sufficiently safe, and general) unsupervised FSD is still a thing that only exists in the realm of fantasy and imagination FWIW, and don't believe current HW will get you to it ever. Maybe L3 or L4 highway in weather-limited ODDs or something, but not L5.
Until I see definitive evidence to the contrary I'm sticking to my definition.
Supervised FSD = FSD beta
Unsupervised FSD = FSD
They're not going to call a supervised system and an unsupervised system the same name!

Until I see definitive evidence to the contrary I'm sticking to my definition.
Supervised FSD = FSD beta
Unsupervised FSD = FSD
They're not going to call a supervised system and an unsupervised system the same name!

I mean if you wanna just make up a definition with nothing to support it that Elon or Tesla ever actually said- knock yourself out.

Even sillier since the wipers are also beta. So is basic AP. So is TACC. None of those are intended to ever be "unsupervised" except maybe the wipers?

FSD was sold from 2016 through early 2019 as intended to be unsupervised... in ~3/2019 they changed the description of features to an explicitly L2 system- but did not change the name at all.

I mean if you wanna just make up a definition with nothing to support it that Elon or Tesla ever actually said- knock yourself out.

Even sillier since the wipers are also beta. So is basic AP. So is TACC. None of those are intended to ever be "unsupervised" except maybe the wipers?

FSD was sold from 2016 through early 2019 as intended to be unsupervised... in ~3/2019 they changed the description of features to an explicitly L2 system- but did not change the name at all.
I always supervise the wipers. 🤣