Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electricity is $5/gallon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can fill my ICE with 2 gallons of gas in about 10 seconds.

YOUR MOVE TESLA!! :p
Yeah I doubt you can 2 gallons that quickly. I think you're missing a lot of steps besides just waiting for the gas pump to put 2 gallons in your car.
  • Drive to the gas station
  • Get next to the pump
  • Get in line and pay by cash or use your credit card and enter your zip code
  • Select the gas grade you're purchasing
  • Open your gas cap
  • Plug the nozzle in
  • Wait for the pump to put 2 gallons in your car
  • Drive home

Gasoline? 41% brake thermal efficient Toyota TNGA 2.0L engine in hybrid applications

Diesels can do better, but the Toyota is leading the gasoline engines, Granted its peak efficiency is in a very narrow portion of the operation.

Hyundai is right there as well. The Ioniq hybrid sees 40% peak thermal efficiency. However, Mazda may be blowing those out of the water soon with their SCCI Skyactiv-X motors.

At $0.15 / kWh, electricity costs the equivalent to $5/gallon of gasoline

Just a random fact of the day. Enjoy

* 1 gallon = 33.7 kWh
** Long range Model 3 holds just over 2 gallons of equivalent energy
***Luckily EVs are more efficient
Damn so more like $15 a gallon here, boy that adds up fast!

Going to change to an EV charging plan but it will add about $100 a month to my bill in other way (Mandatory $16 fee for EV TOU, then double the cost to run the rest of the house for 5 hours a day.)

Looks like no matter what my EV will cost more than a typical gas car or a plugin hybrid which helps balance the costs. But hopefully I can save on maintenance.

my 2014 Hyundai Sonata costs about $105 to fill from empty @ $1.50/litre. The Tesla I have on order will cost me about $6.63 to fill from empty at $0.0884/kwh at home. in terms of operating cost, the tesla is the clear winner.

It does take me about 550 km to a tank

Sonata: 19 cents a km
Model 3: 1.37 cents a km

Your fuel costs drop 12.87x

Reactions: Arpe
You have to take into consideration the vehicle that you replaced. Someone that Drives a P100D did not replace that vehicle with a Civic. My Tesla replaced a 800 HP supercharged SRT jeep that drank 1200 a month in gas. not including maintenance.

You have to take into consideration the vehicle that you replaced. Someone that Drives a P100D did not replace that vehicle with a Civic. My Tesla replaced a 800 HP supercharged SRT jeep that drank 1200 a month in gas. not including maintenance.
I went from an Accord to my M3. Before Tesla came out I thought for sure my next car was going to be a BMW 3-series.

At $0.15 / kWh, electricity costs the equivalent to $5/gallon of gasoline

Just a random fact of the day. Enjoy

* 1 gallon = 33.7 kWh
** Long range Model 3 holds just over 2 gallons of equivalent energy
***Luckily EVs are more efficient

At 10 cents per kWh I pay half the cost per mile vs driving a Prius with Gas at $2.50 a gallon so the only way your headline works is you have 40 cents per kWh compared to $5 a gallon.

Model 3 is good for 4 miles per kWh aka 250 wh per mile. So 15 cents a kWh is about 3.75 cents per mile. The only way a gas car is matching that at $5 a gallon is if it gets 133 mpg.

The only way I know of getting 133 mpg in a Prius is driving 12 mph on a flat closed course or annoying every one on the road that is trying to pass you with your blinkers on.

The only way I know of getting 133 mpg in any non plug in gas car not named Prius is to drop it off a cliff.

Last edited: