Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electricity Cost Spikes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maine increased 6c this month as well. So, 7c/kWh 13months ago, to 13c/kWh 12 months ago, to 19c/kWh this month.

The delivery charge is an additional 8c/kWh, so total cost will be 27c/kWh. On the other hand, the delivery charge is going to zero for some customers with home heat pumps. If I get into the pilot program, my cost will drop to 19c/kWh total.
Interestingly, the utility just sent me an email showing our historical rates. As you can see, our rates between 2018 and 2021 didn't change much, if anything the cost went down. Then last year, and this month, the price has almost tripled in a space of 13months.
Image 1-27-23 at 8.08 PM.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: cleverscreenam
First I would like to thankyou all for making me think about
how much I am being charged. This has set off the urge to
find every watt hiding anywhere. This has triggered strange
thoughts like using the outdoors as a fridge. Bond fires in the back
yard. Wood burning stoves, yuk. I could become an uber driver to
pay for the electric bills but then I need to charge the car more, then
I need to drive more. The solution is I need a bigger hammer.
In Europe its conserve, in the US its 20kwp panels and a 20Kwh battery.
Again thanks all, simple solution.

• Love
Reactions: cleverscreenam
Only 10¢/kWh here in N. NV. Extremely cheap compared to gas, which is like $4.50/gal here.
Our Reno rate in Northern NV may well pencil out close to 10 cents, after all the other charges are factored in, but the base, off peak rate is only 6 cents :

What really hurts however, is that on peak charge during the summer months (54 cents +) 😱. Fortunately, humidity is so low in this area, we can ventilate overnight to cool down and float through most of the day, all buttoned up.

Just wanted to brag a bit. 😀

Last edited:
Our Reno rate in Northern NV may well pencil out close to 10 cents, after all the other charges are factored in, but the base, off peak rate is only 6 cents :

What really hurts however, is that on peak charge during the summer months (54 cents +) 😱. Fortunately, humidity is so low in this area, we can ventilate overnight to cool down and float through most of the day, all buttoned up.

Just wanted to brag a bit. 😀

You have the Time of Use EV plan. I'm on the flat rate plan that is 10¢ all the time 24/7. I did a one year trial of the ToU plan when I first got the Tesla but after a year it had cost several hundred dollars more, because of the 54¢ in the summer, so I switched back.

Well 1.5 Meg-o-watt for my tesla, OK.
800w to do coffee, now that not right I say.
I guess the folks in Calif. have no issues with snow on the panels.
In the mountains we do. My neighbor said there was 25+ feet of snow on the ground at her cabin. They can ride over the roof with a snow machine. I hope they don't hit their panels.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
We got a lot of snow here this year. And the snow just slid off my panels, despite it hanging around on the rest of my roof. But we’re talking about 2-3' not 25'.
I can't even imagine 2-3' on a roof! Also, the 25 foot was on the ground not on the roof. I imagine a lot was blown into to the cabin sides. Our neighbor's cabin is high, 8,000 or so. I gather that they always get pounded with snow and big winds. Also very rural, mostly dirt roads, if there is a road.

Reactions: Dan203
Have had panels covering most of the south facing roof since 2008. Yeah, it’s New Jersey. But there’s been up to 18” of snow up there on that 35 degree slope; it never has lasted more than 24 hours before the rumbling starts and most of it slides off.

Partly because it’s glass, partly because it seems to get warmer than the rest of the roof, and, once some of it’s exposed, the current flowing through the snowed over panels warms them, too.

Reactions: dmurphy
I live in Massachusetts and natural gas powers 70% of our electricity generation. With the recent (and one hopes, temporary) increase in natural gas prices, my electricity now costs $0.46 per kWh. With the decline in gas prices compared to last summer, it now costs more to fill the “tank” with electricity rather than equivalent range gasoline. Oh, well. The electricity vs. gasoline savings is not why I bought the car anyway. FWIW, my 8,000 mile average efficiency is 246 wh/mile; stated differently that’s just over 4 miles per kWh.
I recently shopped for a new electricity plan and it states Massachusetts requires something like 59% of the electricity to be generated by renewables, which may be a factor.

I did jump on this post because I noticed supercharger rates have gone up to .45 cents range, which at my consumption of 278w/hr is now more expensive to fuel/charge than my equivalent gas car.

EV adoption will not succeed if low(er) income folk can’t offset the initial investment with gas savings assuming they don’t have access to a charger at home.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
I did jump on this post because I noticed supercharger rates have gone up to .45 cents range, which at my consumption of 278w/hr is now more expensive to fuel/charge than my equivalent gas car.

Using Tesla's charging network had become as expensive (or more than) fueling with gasoline early last year, after a couple rounds of charge rate price increases by Tesla.
This only marginally effects most folks, myself included, since I charge 95+% of the time at home or at work. Where rates are still below 12c/KWhr.

Just because Elon is getting greedier, doesn't mean you need to subsidize his lifestyle.
Install an L2 charger, and reap the savings from home charging (throughout most of the US, some exceptions (MA? HI?) apply).

EV adoption will not succeed if low(er) income folk can’t offset the initial investment with gas savings assuming they don’t have access to a charger at home.

It's simply impractical to own an EV without access to an L2 charger at home. Not impossible (someone will say - I did it), but impractical.
Lets face it - EVs are not for low(er) income people. Not any time soon. Not remotely. Not even with the IRA subsidies.

For those who can count, as long as EV cost per mile is significantly cheaper (about 5:1) than gasoline cost per mile, EVs make financial sense.
They may or may not make environmental sense (end-2-end), but as long as they make financial sense, they will continue to sell.

One just needs to get a charger installed at home, and use it!

YMMV,
a

I want to thank you all for freaking me out !!
It turns out I was using a simple floor heater that burns 1.5 kwh.
I like my feet warm, Oops.
We have also been charging way beyond what the panels deliver, Oops.
In winter we now charge at the min. amps. As it turns out I
need 16kwp to keep my feet warm and about a 15kwh battery.
With the price hike, there is now a two year wait for more panels and battery.
Still better than $10 a gallon for gas.

Net metering is great - until the day that too many people are on solar. Someone has to pay for maintaining the transmission and distribution structure - even if you use it only one day a year. Net metering the generation portion of your bill makes sense but the T&D should not be credited. Net metering as it is currently structured shifts T&D cost to everyone who does not have a solar panel system on their roof; in essence a regressive tax. Don’t get me wrong, I strongly believe in renewable energy and ending the use of fossil fuels. I just think the rate structure should be equitable.
I have had solar (28 panels), in WA (just north of Seattle), for about 7 years now. I pay an interconnect fee of about $17 a month, but that's all. I have net metering, so in the summer I generate far more electricity than I use (and rates are about $0.10 per kWh with no time of day rate difference). I use the surplus summer generation to offset my winter bills, so again, there's no real difference in my monthly bill. It's just about $17 a month to be connected to the electrical grid and to help pay for its upkeep. I was unsuccessful in getting Powerwalls (had two on order for three years). Maybe someday they'll be more available. I have a whole house generator so that when power goes out I'm okay, but it's expensive to use (natural gas).

Interestingly, the utility just sent me an email showing our historical rates. As you can see, our rates between 2018 and 2021 didn't change much, if anything the cost went down. Then last year, and this month, the price has almost tripled in a space of 13months.
View attachment 900534
Natural gas price rises. And there's more to come soon because of the botched initial implementation of community solar that was tied to natural gas prices, and the cross-subsidies on that.

If you want to minimize your fuel costs here now, buy an efficient hybrid. EVs aren't expensive to fuel, but they're no longer cheaper.