Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric vehicles release more toxic emissions, are worse for the environment than gas-powered cars: study

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

This just popped up on my phone. And several reddit posts too. I just got a model Y. Great so far. But hard to believe EVs are worse than ICE vehicles. Say it isn't so.
It claims the toxins come from EV brakes and tires.

It admits that ICE also have toxic brakes and tires but their weights are less, thus less toxic effects.

I think their logic might be faulty because ICE doesn't have regen so they use the physical brakes more often while EVs use Regen and thus less physical brakes.

When I sold my 2012 Model S at 100,000 miles, its brake pads were 5mm thick and still had much more to go.

About the tires, maybe we could use some tires from the space industry or we can revert back to natural rubber or new Goodyear soy bean oil instead of toxic petroleum-base.

Last edited:
Reactions: fhteagle
One thing that people miss is that an EV built today gets cleaner over time as the grid gets cleaner while IcE cars just get dirtier as they age. Also the batteries can be reused for stationary storage and then recycled. Unlike small batteries, no one is going to throw away a large EV battery

The article states:

"It found that brakes and tires on EVs release 1,850 times more particle pollution compared to modern tailpipes, which have “efficient” exhaust filters, bringing gas-powered vehicles’ emissions to new lows."

We already know that EV brakes release *less* particle pollution than ICE vehicles. For EV tires to release 1,850 times more particulate than ICE tires, they would have to be wearing down 1,850 times as fast.

1,850 days equals 5 years. So the article is saying that if your ICE tires need to be replaced after 5 years of driving, your EV tires need to be replaced daily. 😵‍💫

IT'S IN THE NEWS, IT MUST BE TRUE!!

The article states:

"It found that brakes and tires on EVs release 1,850 times more particle pollution compared to modern tailpipes, which have “efficient” exhaust filters, bringing gas-powered vehicles’ emissions to new lows."

We already know that EV brakes release *less* particle pollution than ICE vehicles. For EV tires to release 1,850 times more particulate than ICE tires, they would have to be wearing down 1,850 times as fast.

1,850 days equals 5 years. So the article is saying that if your ICE tires need to be replaced after 5 years of driving, your EV tires need to be replaced daily. 😵‍💫

IT'S IN THE NEWS, IT MUST BE TRUE!!
It’s not even counting the particulate pollution from the ICE tires or brakes! It’s comparing particulates from EV tires and brakes compared to just gasoline tailpipe particulates. 😵‍💫

It would be like going up to a billionaire and saying look I have a hand full of coins in my pocket and you don’t! That means I’m richer than you!

They just want a clickbait headline knowing full well people don’t actually read the contents but will still share it everywhere they can as “proof” EVs are a lie.

Clearly the study isn’t worth the computer it’s written on, but the NY Post didn’t generate the report.

I agree EV’s are not as clean as they say they are, but not for the reasons listed in the Emission Analytics report.
Ah, I recognize the name. So it's just a re-hash of a long-debunked study.

Proper pollution scientists have found that in _limited_ places pollution from tires can _match_ tailpipe pollution, but the problem isn't EVs. Data from fleets show that EVs don't have any significant extra tire wear.

Tire pollution _is_ a _general_ problem, both from local effects of toxic chemical compounds, but also because tires are plastic (not rubber) so they add to microplastics.

Reactions: navguy12
Also remember, most EV’s charge from an electrical grid that produces power by burning fossil fuels, coal, fuel oil or natural gas.That seems to be lost in the ICE vs EV debate.
That’s true; the source of your electricity does matter. However, even if it is dirty you are still using less of it. The creation of the battery is also dirty; that needs to be added to the equation. However, even after including those items, I believe the accounting shows that over the life of the average EV it is (much) cleaner than ICE. Personally, I have solar panels; I produce more energy than I consume.