Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric vehicles release more toxic emissions, are worse for the environment than gas-powered cars: study

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please find me a grid on this planet that emits ≥ 1230 gCO2e/kWh. That's how a dirty a grid would need to be to be as bad as gasoline when well-to-wheels emissions are considered.

Also - that ICE vehicle will never get any cleaner (likely dirtier as engine aging will probably make it less efficient).

Electrical grids are getting cleaner and cleaner, making our EVs cleaner over time.

Reactions: navguy12
Also remember, most EV’s charge from an electrical grid that produces power by burning fossil fuels, coal, fuel oil or natural gas.That seems to be lost in the ICE vs EV debate.
Do a search of Union of Concerned Scientists on the web; somewhere you will find the latest study that published this (screen shot, sorry no link) four year old data:

IMG_1791.png

The US grid is cleaner now than in 2020 when the above data was compiled.

Even with four year old data, if one drives an EV in the dirtiest FERC power region (in the above shot, the MROE section of the Midcontinent Independent System Operator (MISO) area), an average EV is cleaner than an ICE vehicle averaging 42 mpg in the real world.

Also remember, most EV’s charge from an electrical grid that produces power by burning fossil fuels, coal, fuel oil or natural gas.That seems to be lost in the ICE vs EV debate.

I hate this type of comment. It is a variation of a strawman argument.
The pollution from electrical generation is addressed in every report I have seen on the overall greenhouse gas contribution of cars.

Yes, the EPA measures car emissions and not grid emission. However, they have never counted upstream emissions for cars. Why change those rules now?

Reactions: navguy12
One thing that people miss is that an EV built today gets cleaner over time as the grid gets cleaner while IcE cars just get dirtier as they age. Also the batteries can be reused for stationary storage and then recycled. Unlike small batteries, no one is going to throw away a large EV battery
The emissions from battery manufacturing for using recycled minerals will be much less than the raw minerals.

Plus there's all the combustion smog and particulates which have major health detriments, directly measurable and real, which are localized to the community and not some far off global warming. "Plain old pollution" is still bad---and stationary power plants are regulated and capture it much better than combustion LICE cars operated by average schlubs. And as we know, ICE emissions in real world are significantly worse than regulation and official testing, because they cheat on the test.

This just popped up on my phone. And several reddit posts too. I just got a model Y. Great so far. But hard to believe EVs are worse than ICE vehicles. Say it isn't so.
Did not read when I saw the articles source. The thread's title and "news" article are both click baits. One got me, the other did not.