Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ecotricity Electric Highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

The instructions on the Ecotricity site imply you are filling up your EV with a liquid fuel !!

To Start Charging :-

Step 1 - Press green button to start charging process

Step 2 - Swipe your card

Step 3 - Choose charging option: Green button for standard charge

Step 4 - Connect nozzle to car, use the safety catch to keep the handle depressed.

Step 6 - Press ‘tick’ button to start charge.

Once charging is complete:-

Swipe your card (must be same card that started session)
Disconnect nozzle – pull back safety catch at rear of handle, press black button to release handle and remove nozzle

Charging Your Vehicle - For The Road - Ecotricity

I suspect only ecotricity, and on past performance I wouldn't even be sure about that.

They've got some way to go I think! If they claim the new white boxes are more reliable then they may need another different colour... Both eastbound and westbound at Membury services on M4 were not working today. On one the light turned blue after plugging in and the was no current, and on my return the charge point stayed white the whole time and the door stayed open.

I have informed them about it and hope they are able to sort it out. I mentioned to them that although its lovely to have a free network, it is pointless if it is not reliable. I would actually far prefer to pay an annual fee or usage fee if it was a given that they would work.

Also I have hassled the Celtic manor again and have mobile numbers of their VP of facilities so I shall try and get an answer out of them on installing charge points.

Kevin - not sure if you will see this but I tried emailing you and perhaps it didn't get through, but are we ok to approach hotels like Celtic Manor and point them in your direction if they are interested? I will always make sure they know I do not represent ZCW but hopefully we can encourage some uptake in South Wales that way!

Kevin - not sure if you will see this but I tried emailing you and perhaps it didn't get through, but are we ok to approach hotels like Celtic Manor and point them in your direction if they are interested? I will always make sure they know I do not represent ZCW but hopefully we can encourage some uptake in South Wales that way!
Sorry, I missed your email, been busy with pub group who plan to install 1600 Charging Stations across the UK :smile:

Yes, please contact every location where you would like charging and we will be happy to donate the hardware. IMO charging needs to be located at sites who really care about customer service... they have an incentive to keep the systems working and ICE free :smile:

Free Charging Stations - Zero Carbon World

A bump to this rather old topic. I see the first Model S from the Netherlands has traveled through the UK using this network and it worked just fine.

I just applied for a Ecotricity card since I'll be visiting Wales two times this year and the route from Dover to Wales is completely covered (using the M20 and M4).

To bad the Model S doesn't do 63A 3-phase or CHAdeMO (waiting for the adapter), so I'll be spending a bit more time charging on 22kW.

But my main question: How is the reliability these days?

The reliability hasn't been great in the past few weeks but ecotricity say they have identified a common fault and are working to get a permanent solution installed early in the new year. It's often the same sites that fault and re-fault.

As you say, there are now so many on that route that with a Model S it shouldn't be as critical if one is down (compared to say a Leaf). Just make sure you charge one before you actually need to :)

Having said that, most British motorway service stations are not that pleasant to hang around so it maybe worth trying to find another 22kW location. They typically have 2 hour parking restrictions too.

Hi all
This morning I tried unsuccessfully to charge my Roadster using the Ecotricity "AC Fast Charge" point at Pease Pottage in Sussex. I was using a Tesla-supplied Mennekes cable which has always worked fine in the past, including on Ecotricity "AC Medium Charge" points. My Mennekes plug was plugged in to the charge point's Mennekes socket on the end of it's cable. The charge point recognised my card, etc. instructed me to connect the cable and displayed "waiting for charging request from vehicle", after which nothing happened. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the cable at the vehicle; no change. After a minute or so the charge point timed out. I tried the entire exercise a couple of times.

So, I have a few questions for the forum, if I may:
- can Roadsters charge at all on the "AC Fast Charge" points?
- do I need some additional hardware?
- do we by any chance get a 60A or 70A charge rate (i.e. one phase of the advertised 43kW three-phase capacity?)

cheers
Sean

Hi all
This morning I tried unsuccessfully to charge my Roadster using the Ecotricity "AC Fast Charge" point at Pease Pottage in Sussex. I was using a Tesla-supplied Mennekes cable which has always worked fine in the past, including on Ecotricity "AC Medium Charge" points. My Mennekes plug was plugged in to the charge point's Mennekes socket on the end of it's cable. The charge point recognised my card, etc. instructed me to connect the cable and displayed "waiting for charging request from vehicle", after which nothing happened. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the cable at the vehicle; no change. After a minute or so the charge point timed out. I tried the entire exercise a couple of times.

So, I have a few questions for the forum, if I may:
- can Roadsters charge at all on the "AC Fast Charge" points?
- do I need some additional hardware?
- do we by any chance get a 60A or 70A charge rate (i.e. one phase of the advertised 43kW three-phase capacity?)

cheers
Sean

This is a known problem, even though the Mennekes connector "looks* like it should plug into the Ecotricity fast chargers, and the 43kw charge standard *should* support one phase at 14-15kw.

BUT .. it would appear from my own experience that the Mennekes connector physically doesn't quite push far enough into the socket to connect .. and is currently only compatible with the Renault Zoe connector even though it looks like it should work just fine ... annoying ehh ?

The only way around it might be to change the end of the charge cable for a plug that is slightly different and compatible with the Zoe . .

I know there are people on this forum more knowledgeable than me when it comes to this issue, but as of today the problem has not got a solution. Sounds like someone needs to make up 50+ cables for Roadster UK owners .. (although, if it was me, I'd like to ensure the 14kw/15kw single phase logic works beforehand..)

I very rarely charge mid journey, but when I do its either using an Ecotricity 7kw charge point for an hour whilst eating (=25 miles top up :( ) Or I use the 70amp HPC's dotted about the motorway network at 65-70 miles/Hr :) (let me know if you'd like a map of them !).

Hi guys,

This is interesting... I had assumed for ages that we Roadster drivers can only use the few Ecotricity points which have the 22kw posts? Mine always works fine on those but never tried on the rapid charger. Isn't the Tesla cable only rated to 32amps anyway though? Even if a charge was possible, it would fry the cable fairly quickly wouldn't it?

If this is the case that we can potentially use all of these posts (if a bespoke cable is produced) and draw the 63amp single phase then it is a hell of an improvement on the current network available!

Having now realised that the end of the AC rapid charger is effectively a Mennekes socket then in theory it should be feasible shouldn't it?

I have a zero carbon world type 2 to type 1 cable along with a can connector so will try using one of these posts and restricting it to 32 amps just out of interest to see if a different cable type works...

Thanks

Last edited:
Can now confirm it is possible to charge at 60 Amps at ecotricity (and other) rapid chargers.

Thanks to Alex and Mark for the tip.

BpcWXoUCcAEgE4X.jpg

I've tested my Type 2 cable with the Tesla 70amp J1772 link at over 20 sites so far. Works 100% at 60amps with no issues to report. Photo below was taken at Newport Pagnell Services J14 / M1. Prior to taking the photo I had done 190 miles to London and back. I did have enough charge to get home but stopped for a widdle anyway so a 20 minute top up was really handy !

I've arrived at a couple of recently installed sites to find the charger already borked and stuck on the 'cogs' screen, but Ecotricity have a 24/7 helpline and the ability to reset them remotely within seconds. I know a few Leaf owners and one Zoe owner who've seen the same thing once or twice.

Hats off to Ecotricity for establishing the charger network all over the UK and enabling greater use of EV's.

Last edited:
Someone nicely put a link to the Ecotricity site that directly contradicts this:
https://www.ecotricity.co.uk/for-the-road/charging-your-vehicle/ac-dc-fast-chargers

Quoting here in case it gets modified in the future:
Here's a list of the electric vehicles on sale in the UK that can use our AC/DC 50kW charge points:
  • Nissan LEAF
  • BYD e6
  • Citroen C-Zero
  • Mitsubishi I-MiEV
  • Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
  • Peugeot Ion
  • Peugeot Partner Electric Van
  • Renault Zoe
  • Tesla (CHAdeMO adapter required)