Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oregon getting close to opening RFP for first year of NEVI funding

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MP3Mike

Feb 1, 2016
Oregon
Oregon has just announced details about the RFPs for the first year of NEVI funding: NEVI and future MHD contracts bid info

Their plan is to open for the RFPs in October, 2023, with four weeks for submissions, and then make the selection for who will get the funding in November, 2023.

There are planning for 3 RFPs:
  • Interstate 5 south of Eugene: They expect this to be for 3 stations.
  • Interstate 205: They expect this to be for 2 stations.
  • U.S. Highway 97: They expect this to be for 6 stations.
Yep, that is correct, they are only planning to have 11 stations, 4 stalls each, built with the first year of funding.

From what I can tell the first year funding for Oregon is $7,733,679. So they are expecting each site to cost ~$880k, or ~$220k per stall. (Note I grossed up the costs, since NEVI provides 80% and the CPO has to kick in the other 20%.) o_O It will be interesting to see the actual RFPs in October, to see how they split the money up. (Assuming the general public will be able to see the details, since we won't be qualified vendors.)

It seems like FLO services is already a qualified vendor...

More details I found:
Over the course of the five-year NEVI program, ODOT anticipates using its $65 million in total funding ($52 million in federal funds and 20% non-federal match) to develop 65 DCFC stations across Oregon’s roadways, totaling a minimum of 260 DCFC ports.

So it seems like they are planning the costs to be $200k/stall. (Maybe they are keeping ~$20k/stall for their overhead of running the program.)

Just imagine what Tesla could do with all that money, even if they spent extra to oversize transformers to meet NEVI requirements and installed dual NACS/CCS1 cables...

Step 2: Requests for proposals for Year One NEVI projects | October 2023

We plan to issue requests for proposals for Year One NEVI projects in October 2023. We’ll issue three separate requests — one per road — via OregonBuys. Approved vendors may bid on any of the NEVI RFPs and may bid on more than one.

Approved vendors will have about four weeks from the RFP issue date to submit their response through OregonBuys. We will evaluate submitted proposals and plan to notify selected approved vendors in November 2023.

Winning vendors of each road’s RFP will enter into contracts that require them to design, build, operate, and maintain DC fast charging station infrastructure that complies with NEVI specifications.

Other information about year 1 here: Oregon's Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Phase 1

Does anyone have details on how their state is handling the NEVI funds?

Some more:

• ACMS NW
  • Irby Electrical Utilities
  • C2 Group
It seems like there will be a lot of vendors potentially submitting proposals for the three contracts that will be available.

Still no sign of EVCS/West Coast Electric Highway, Electrify America, EVgo, Blink!, ChargePoint, Shell Recharge, or Tesla. All of which I expected to take a shot at this. (Well I don't really expect Tesla to take a shot at this.) But they still have a month to submit to become a vendor to be able to submit a proposal.

I wonder what they will do with any left-over money if someone bids, and wins, at less than ~$200k/stall...

Does anyone have details on how their state is handling the NEVI funds?

In Maine it's handled through EfficiencyMaine, which is the Maine energy efficiency organization. They'll score bids based on

Maine has two RFPs for NEVI so far.

Phase 4 is Northern Maine and Downeast Maine, but not I-95.
Phase 5 is I-95 Central and North, plus US-201 from Portland to Ellsworth.
Except:
Phase 4 had 8 locations. 4 were bid, so they have done a round 2, and included 2 I-95 locations, one of which just happens to be Medway, ME where Tesla already has a Supercharger and the other is the Houlton I-95/US-1 exit, which would be good for both I-95 and Northern US-1.

Phase 4:
Phase 5:
Phase 4 Round 2:

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
Ok, we are finally starting to see some vendors I recognize get added to the list:

• Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores, Inc
  • FreeWire Technologies, Inc.
  • ChargePoint, Inc
And some others that I don't:
  • Geller Silvis & Associates Inc.
  • Stacy Humphrey LLC
  • Lumen Technologies

In Maine it's handled through EfficiencyMaine, which is the Maine energy efficiency organization. They'll score bids based on

Maine has two RFPs for NEVI so far.

Phase 4 is Northern Maine and Downeast Maine, but not I-95.
Phase 5 is I-95 Central and North, plus US-201 from Portland to Ellsworth.
Except:
Phase 4 had 8 locations. 4 were bid, so they have done a round 2, and included 2 I-95 locations, one of which just happens to be Medway, ME where Tesla already has a Supercharger and the other is the Houlton I-95/US-1 exit, which would be good for both I-95 and Northern US-1.

Phase 4:
Phase 5:
Phase 4 Round 2:

Sorry, I made a mistake. I found more information on the Effiicency Maine website about Federally-funded initiatives.

Phase 4 will be funded using funds from the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA). $8M was allocated to charging, both Level 2 and DCFC. I don't know what will be available for DCFC.

Phase 5 will be funded using NEVI. That's $19M now with further money available via grants. Proposals are due end June 22, 2023, so soon.
Phase 5 RFP said:
1.3 Schedule
Milestone Date/Deadline
RFP Issued 3/23/2023
Bidder’s Informational Webinar #1 4/5/2023
Questions Due 4/19/2023
Responses to Questions Posted 4/26/2023
Bidders’ Information Webinar #2 5/10/2023
Proposals Due 6/22/2023, 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (US)
Anticipated Award Date 7/27/2023
Anticipated Contract Start 8/31/2023

The good thing is that after Dieselgate, states and charging companies should be used to these processes. Efficiency Maine managed the Dieselgate bids as well.

More on Maine's Phase 5.

Having put Medway and Houlton I-95/US-1 into Phase 4 Round 2, they removed I-95 Bangor to Houlton from Phase 5, focusing instead on Augusta, Bangor and 5 locations on US-1 between Freeport and Ellsworth (inclusive).

The bid, award and contract dates for Phase 4 Round 2 (ARP Act) and Phase 5 (NEVI) are the same.

Proposals Due 6/22/2023, 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (US) (That's end of day tomorrow).
Anticipated Award Date 7/27/2023
Anticipated Contract Start 8/31/2023

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
So the time has passed for companies to put their name in the hat to apply for the first year NEVI funds from Oregon.

And 50 companies put their name in:
  • ACMS NW
  • Apex Mechanical LLC
  • Becmen llc
  • BP Products North America Inc
  • BRONTO LLC
  • Business Oregon
  • C2 Group
  • Carrick Incorporated
  • ChargePoint, Inc
  • Chargie LLC
  • Contractor Plan Center
  • Douglas Plan Center
  • Dunsky Energy Consulting
  • eCAMION USA, Inc
  • Electrify America
  • Equilon Enterprises LLC
  • EverCharge, Inc
  • EvGateway
  • EZstop LLC
  • FLO Services USA INC
  • FLPA002 LLC Dba LED Trail
  • FreeWire Technologies, Inc
  • Geller Silvis & Associates Inc.
  • Go Green Texas EV
  • Hughes Electrical Contractors Inc
  • In-Charge Energy
  • Irby Electrical Utilities
  • Kimley-Horn and Associates, Inc
  • KPFF Consulting Engineers
  • Kunert Electric LLC
  • Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores, Inc
  • Lumen Technologies
  • McKinstry Essentian, LLC
  • Mimi Falcon Environmental Consulting
  • National Car Charging LLC
  • NextEra Mobility, LLC
  • Ontiveros and Associates, LLC
  • OpConnect, Inc
  • Pilot Travel Centers LLC
  • Red E Charging LLC
  • REXEL USA INC
  • Rivian, LLC
  • Siemens Industry, Inc.
  • Skychargers, LLC
  • Stacy Humphrey LLC
  • Trillium Transportation Fuels, LLC
  • Universal EV LLC
  • Voltera Power LLC
  • Weston Solutions
  • Winston Engineering, Inc.
Notice a name missing? That is right, Tesla isn't even going to apply for any of the NEVI funding from Oregon. (But oddly Rivian did.)

So 50 companies and only 3 contracts, odds aren't very good...

It looks like Hawaii might be the first state to install DC fast chargers using NEVI funding: Hawaii to deploy federally funded EV charging stations

“The first set of EV chargers funded by this work is basically going to hit the ground in Hawaii,” said Mitch Landrieu, White House infrastructure implementation coordinator. “So Hawaii, congratulations for doing that — you’re doing that with one of our great partners, Tritium.”

Ed Sniffen, director of the Hawaii Department of Transportation, said two NEVI stations — one on Oahu and one on Maui — are slated to be installed and available to the public by the end of the year. Additional stations are planned on Hawaii island and Kauai sites next.

Phase 5 (NEVI) RFP: RFP EM-011-2023 - Efficiency Maine
Phase 5 Notice of Proposed Award: https://www.efficiencymaine.com/docs/RFP_EM_011-2023_Notification_of_Proposed_Award.pdf
(Maybe Proposed because it requires further approval for funding?)

1. Equilon Enterprises LLC, 322 Stillwater Ave, Bangor, Maine 04401
2. Tesla, Inc., 197 Civic Center Drive, Augusta, Maine 04330
3. ReVision Energy, 225 High Street, Ellsworth, Maine 04605
4. D&C Properties, 423 East Main Street, Searsport, Maine 04974
5. Tesla, Inc., 75 Maverick Street, Rockland, Maine 04841
6. Irving Oil, 1555 Atlantic Highway, Waldoboro, Maine 04572
7. Midcoast Regional Redevelopment Authority, 11 Atlantic Avenue, Brunswick, Maine 04011

1. Gas station. Not a good exit. I've been there with it backed up.
2. Tesla: Marketplace Mall address where there is the existing V2 Augusta, ME Supercharger
3: Hannaford grocery store where there is a V3 Tesla Supercharger
4: Is or was Sunscapes, an awning and other fabric structure company
5: Tesla: Hannaford grocery store. Rockland is currently in the Supercharger voting, so don't waste your votes on it any more!
6: Irving gas station. I'd scouted the neighboring Citgo when I'd seen it being refurbished
7: Building mainly with Flight Deck Brewing. On former naval station.

1 and 2 are I-95. 3 to 7 are US-1.

Note that Tesla won 2 bids. 1 at an existing location (Marketplace Mall, Augusta, ME) and one at a new one that's in the voting (Rockland, ME) at a Hannaford supermarket.

Phase 4 (Round 1 and Round 2) plus Phase 5 will together pretty much fully open up Maine towns to EVs.

Last edited:
The Wall Street Journal has an article on Federal Money for Chargers and what states are getting out there first. Did not see Oregon listed. Did they miss report this or is Oregon stalled ?

Five states—Ohio, Hawaii, Pennsylvania, Maine and Colorado—have selected winners at this point, and full details on sites and designs aren’t yet available. Tesla’s bids averaged around $392,000 a site compared with an average of $795,000 from others.

Tesla Leads Race to Draw Federal Money for Charging Networks — The Wall Street Journal

The Wall Street Journal has an article on Federal Money for Chargers and what states are getting out there first. Did not see Oregon listed. Did they miss report this or is Oregon stalled ?
Oregon is currently in the stage of accepting proposals, they haven't gotten to the step of choosing contract winners yet. That is supposed to happen in November.

Reactions: KJD
Sort of a non-update, from their 2024 plan submission, Oregon has still not issued contracts for any NEVI funding, not even the FY22 funding:

1705687451441.png

Yep, that is correct, the Federal Highway Administration has approved Oregon's “Year 3" plans when Oregon hasn't even spent a cent of the "Year 1" or "Year 2" funds. Hopefully they will issue contracts for "Year 2" and "Year 3" faster than they are moving on the "Year 1" contracts.