Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drove a brand new loaner!!! (I didn't like driver assist)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you drift too far, will the car move you back onto the road or only give you a warning (like rumble strips) and actually allow you to go right off a cliff?

Also, will it brake for you to avoid a front end collision or just slow you down? In other words, if you are driving 30 mph and don't break at all with a car in front of you, will the collision be avoided by the car breaking itself and coming to a complete stop before a collision?

Based on the Euro NCAP comments no the cars don't have any of those features yet. But it sounds like Tesla has the hardware and intent to add all of them.

I also think the MobilEye auto high beams would be a great feature. Where I live, I think it's worth it to get the MobilEye just for this feature alone. I believe the new hardware in the Model S would allow the implementation of this feature, it's just not developed yet.

But your "old" car is connected via an AT&T 3G network connection, which feeds into Tesla's corporate data center where they do who knows what with it, and also which, no doubt, is piped right into the NSA as part of routine bulk collection of data as per the Snowden revelations, along with every other cellular connection in the U.S.

How are local sensors in the car, for lane assist and speed assist, bigger brother than that?
+111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111^e11111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111

I'm driving a new loaner now, too. (S85; 1,200 miles). In addition to the items noted in this thread, I've noticed that the backup camera appears to be a higher resolution, as does the driver's display. I recall the latter being discussed here, but I don't recall seeing a thread about improvements to the backup camera.

I'm driving a new loaner now, too. (S85; 1,200 miles). In addition to the items noted in this thread, I've noticed that the backup camera appears to be a higher resolution, as does the driver's display. I recall the latter being discussed here, but I don't recall seeing a thread about improvements to the backup camera.

What's your opinion on the driver assist features?

What's your opinion on the driver assist features?

I might find the speed warning useful, providing I can ensure that I don't see any sign of it until it reaches my set point; not as soon as I exceed the speed limit in the slightest. I see that's an available setting, but I haven't spent any time with it. I think the lane departure may be useful on long road trips, not so much in routine driving around town. The lane departure warning is very subtle. As others have described, it's like a slighter version of grooved pavement.

I've had my car for a little over two weeks now.

To be honest, I love the driver assist tech. I don't have any issues with lane departure buzzing going off based on cracks on the road or anything like that. The only issue I've seen with that is when merging and two lines are coming together it gets confused. I can see how it would annoy certain people - ie most CA drivers that like to start changing lanes THEN turn on the signal to show intent, haha. When it does buzz I notice I am actually getting out of my lane or I took a corner too sharp so I went over the line.

Speed assist is nice, but I turned off the chime and set it only to alert me if I'm 7mph over the limit. It uses GPS as backup for the speed limit (shows dotted grey line), then when it sees a speed limit sign it changes over to solid grey line. It's cool to see a speed sign coming up and then the lines change on the dash as you approach.

My lane departure almost never gives false warnings. It will fail to see lines if they're faded, sometimes if it's raining, or if the lighting conditions put a glare on the camera...but I can't think of one instance where it went off and shouldn't have.

If you're having false alarms, you might want to get it checked out.

I also find I can edge to the side of the lane quite closely without it going off.

Had lane assist on a P85 that I test drove. The only time it buzzed was when I went throug a construction zone that had lines everywhere. Wanted me to follow the old lines I guess.

Makes one hope the auto pilot wouldn't follow a half painted out line into the ditch.

Had lane assist on a P85 that I test drove. The only time it buzzed was when I went throug a construction zone that had lines everywhere. Wanted me to follow the old lines I guess.

Makes one hope the auto pilot wouldn't follow a half painted out line into the ditch.

My understanding on reading the experts is that auto pilot will be based on mapped roads and not road lines. That's why it's at least 5 years away.

If you drift too far, will the car move you back onto the road or only give you a warning (like rumble strips) and actually allow you to go right off a cliff?

Also, will it brake for you to avoid a front end collision or just slow you down? In other words, if you are driving 30 mph and don't break at all with a car in front of you, will the collision be avoided by the car breaking itself and coming to a complete stop before a collision?

The autopilot demonstrated at the P85D unveil did slow you to a smooth and complete stop to avoid hitting the completely stopped car that was in the lane. It also did lane keeping, not just departure warning (not much of an autopilot otherwise!). I don't know if the complete stop ability will be part of the ACC feature separate from autopilot, but would expect so. On the other hand, I doubt the lane keeping would be separate than autopilot, but again, just my supposition.

Slightly off topic - but does this imply that the mapping services are upping accuracy enough to permit this to happen - or are you saying that the software will have to be improved more to make this a safe approach?

Software and hardware will need to be improved before this can happen, according to the experts:

"The car’s sensors can’t tell if a road obstacle is a rock or a crumpled piece of paper, so the car will try to drive around either. Urmson also says the car can’t detect potholes or spot an uncovered manhole if it isn’t coned off. Urmson says these sorts of questions might be unresolved simply because engineers haven’t yet gotten to them. But researchers say the unsolved problems will become increasingly difficult. For example, John Leonard, an MIT expert on autonomous driving, says he wonders about scenarios that may be beyond the capabilities of current sensors, such as making a left turn into a high-speed stream of oncoming traffic."

Google’s Self-Driving Cars Still Face Many Obstacles | MIT Technology Review

Here's the maps issue:

"But the maps have problems, starting with the fact that the car can’t travel a single inch without one. Since maps are one of the engineering foundations of the Google car, before the company's vision for ubiquitous self-driving cars can be realized, all 4 million miles of U.S. public roads will be need to be mapped, plus driveways, off-road trails, and everywhere else you'd ever want to take the car. So far, only a few thousand miles of road have gotten the treatment, most of them around the company's headquarters in Mountain View, California. The company frequently says that its car has driven more than 700,000 miles safely, but those are the same few thousand mapped miles, driven over and over again."

Google self-driving car: It may never actually happen.

- - - Updated - - -

The autopilot demonstrated at the P85D unveil did slow you to a smooth and complete stop to avoid hitting the completely stopped car that was in the lane. It also did lane keeping, not just departure warning (not much of an autopilot otherwise!). I don't know if the complete stop ability will be part of the ACC feature separate from autopilot, but would expect so. On the other hand, I doubt the lane keeping would be separate than autopilot, but again, just my supposition.

Good to hear but if those features are coming with auto-pilot, and are not currently in use, it could be many years down the road before we actually see them. For instance, what if you need to swerve around an open manhole but the car takes you back to it? New types of sensors may be required and not just updated software for this to actually work. It's fine to demonstrate it at an airport but real world driving has many other factors to account for and while I love Tesla, I also know they are prone to hype.

Last edited:
I drove a new loaner last week when I have my car in for the annual service. I found the speed limit useful by certainly not a necessity. To be honest I did not notice the lane departure system, even though it was one.I guess I did not get any false positives, and I was mostly on clearly marked freeway.

Personally, I'm not that interested in self driving cars. I am interested in self parking (especially without front and side cameras). I would also love to try the new dash board display with the indicators of where cars are around you (especially the blind spots). Neither of those features are enabled yet, so that was a little disappointing.

The the loaner was noticeably quieter than my Model S. That is particularly impressive since it had 21" wheels, which I always hear were loader than my 19's. They definitely improved road noise levels in the newer models.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416618252.856137.jpg

This is the inside of the new tires, these came on my P85 with 21" wheels. Found this out after I ran over a bolt.