Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drivers who can't discern between safe following distance and going slowly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OMFG isn't that annoying? Recently drove to Pittsburgh and back for vacation. Living in Central Maine I'm used to Interstates being two lane, but got to experience the insanity of the 3-lane Interstate, with passing lane, travel lane and undertaking-merge-and-exit lane.

Lots of 3+ lane freeways in my neck of the woods. I refer to the right lane as the "driving" lane and all others to the left as "passing lanes". There is no excuse to "cruise" in the center lane of a 3 lane freeway.

- - - Updated - - -

The law also says there is this thing called a "speed limit". I see people here talking about driving 80+. I don't think there's any place in the U.S. where that's a legal speed. So indeed, "follow the law".

True, but a distinct and separate law. Just because you're driving the speed limit does not give anyone the right to not stay to the right if not passing.

The law also says there is this thing called a "speed limit". I see people here talking about driving 80+. I don't think there's any place in the U.S. where that's a legal speed. So indeed, "follow the law".

1. Two wrongs don't make a right. The Uniform Vehicle Code states keep right except to pass (regardless of the speed limit). So you're saying that it's OK to break this law, but it's not OK to speed?

2. Depends where you are. Look at VA here: http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

"Yield left lane to faster traffic on signal. State police say this applies even when faster traffic is speeding."

Cars following too closely is my worst stress factor while driving, with or without radar cruise control.

Another problem is that when I pull away from everybody at a light some people get angry and come flying out of control from behind at 90 mph half a minute later. Most often Mustang, Camaro or a decked out truck with monster tires and smoke stacks. Yesterday I had to trow myself off the road to avoid being hit by a truck coming from behind at 100 mph, he was squeezed by traffic in the other lane, I was doing 50. I had just effortlessly and quietly out dragged him at a light down the road, which seemingly made him furious enough to almost kill us both.

I wonder if something like a dynamic sign at the back will help:

E.g.

TACC

If the above sign is lit, my radar is matching the speed of the car ahead. Overtaking me will not get you there any faster!

After a few years, it can just be the sign and won't need the user education.

I wonder if something like a dynamic sign at the back will help:

E.g.

TACC

If the above sign is lit, my radar is matching the speed of the car ahead. Overtaking me will not get you there any faster!

After a few years, it can just be the sign and won't need the user education.

Yeah, but it could, and even if it doesn't, the driver probably feels better getting an annoyance of of their way.

This all reminds me of that video of the woman in Florida that went viral. She was hanging out in the left lane and a guy in a pickup finally got space to pass her angrily on the right, then slid out. She's giggling like a hyena and talking about karma, but in a way, caused the road rage herself.

That's why I get so close. It bothers people. Then they move over and I can continue speeding :)

There are 2 more valid ways you can go about to achieve your goal:

a) Build your own road and pay for it yourself
b) Run for office and raise the speed limit

Superior drivers feel that the rules of the road is something that other people should follow so that they can execute their superior 'skills'.

The problem with that is that 93% of drivers think that they're above average:
Illusory superiority

That's why I get so close. It bothers people. Then they move over and I can continue speeding :)

LOL. You must get brake checked a lot.

In all seriousness, the problem is that a cooperative effort on the highway is more beneficial than a competitive effort. What do I do when someone comes up behind me who is obviously traveling at a faster pace? I get out of the way as soon as I can. Problem is, most people get irritated because they think "I'm traveling at the fastest safe speed, that other guy is going too fast." They don't take into account that by blocking, they are creating the dangerous situation.

EDIT: That equally applies to the faster moving vehicle who displays unnecessary impatience with the driver in front ... he needs the opportunity to get out of the way.

In all seriousness, the problem is that a cooperative effort on the highway is more beneficial than a competitive effort. What do I do when someone comes up behind me who is obviously traveling at a faster pace? I get out of the way as soon as I can. Problem is, most people get irritated because they think "I'm traveling at the fastest safe speed, that other guy is going too fast." They don't take into account that by blocking, they are creating the dangerous situation.

+1.

I MUCH prefer someone flashing their lights at me from a distance if they want to pass, rather than pulling up within a few feet behind me. It also means they can keep speed all the way and don't have to slow down.

I'm not sure where the American culture thing came from that it's better to be passive aggressive and unsafe, rather than outright aggressive but safe. Europe and Africa is very different in that way.

I MUCH prefer someone flashing their lights at me from a distance if they want to pass, rather than pulling up within a few feet behind me. It also means they can keep speed all the way and don't have to slow down.

I'm not sure where the American culture thing came from that it's better to be passive aggressive and unsafe, rather than outright aggressive but safe. Europe and Africa is very different in that way.

I don't disagree. I won't ride a bumper (i.e., less than a car length) and will flash. But the forward vehicle should see me coming up without my flashing. Others take flashing of lights as an aggressive move and will simply stay in the lane when it costs them nothing to move over (again, competitive and not cooperative). Anyway, I'm talking about edge cases here. I agree with what you say.

Problem is, most people get irritated because they think "I'm traveling at the fastest safe speed, that other guy is going too fast." They don't take into account that by blocking, they are creating the dangerous situation.

Yeah, I really don't understand it. Yesterday I was getting onto a freeway onramp in my other (slow) car and had a 911 behind me. I moved out of the way so he could get going. If somebody has a quick car why do so many people not care to get out or your way, or even worse purposely stay in your way? No harm to me if somebody passes me...

It is interesting :smile:that you mention this...the other day I was driving on I-20 and I flashed my lights about 4-5 car distance length and still this driver with Ford truck was on the left lane :cursing:and when I got closer I flashed again and he seemed reluctant and then finally moved to right lane and then when I was passing ..honked at me.

I was like ...what the heck:eek:

100% agreed.

I MUCH prefer someone flashing their lights at me from a distance if they want to pass, rather than pulling up within a few feet behind me.

That's a regional thing. In many regions (including ones I've lived in), it's considered rude or aggressive to flash to pass (heck, for the longest time, I didn't even know that's what it was!)

Agree. To a point. I always drive to the right and if I do move left to pass a slower vehicle, I do so by speeding up and with every intent of moving back to the right lane when I'm done. Usually I'm already at or above the speed limit. Problem is, that's not good enough for some people and I'll sometimes get some guy zooming up and tailgating me right through the passing maneuver or (less frequently) flashing at me. Doesn't really make me want to hurry up.

I take a freeway to work and drive opposite the flow of most traffic. The posted limit is 100 km/h (60 MPH) but even the slowest traffic usually moves at 120 km/h (75 MPH). Problem is, there are left lane drivers going 140 to 160 km/h (yes, that's close to 100 MPH) on a regular basis with little, if any enforcement by the cops. Funny thing is whenever I have a Tesla loaner, it seems to be limited to 80 MPH and I have to be very careful on my commute if I have to move into the passing lanes for risk of the above-mentioned people zooming up behind me and I can't quickly get out of their way.

I see that three of us posted at same time...

@mknox: I move to the right lane when somebody is speeding up and like you most of the time I am driving 5mph above the speed limit but I get irritated when somebody is going 15-20miles above the speed but what the heck...I don't think its safe for them to do that and I let them go...They don't realize that they are not only breaking the law but also are dangerous drivers

I see that three of us posted at same time...

@mknox: I move to the right lane when somebody is speeding up and like you most of the time I am driving 5mph above the speed limit but I get irritated when somebody is going 15-20miles above the speed but what the heck...I don't think its safe for them to do that and I let them go...They don't realize that they are not only breaking the law but also are dangerous drivers

Why does driving 15-20mph over the speedlimit make someone a dangerous driver?

Why does driving 15-20mph over the speedlimit make someone a dangerous driver?

I think it depends on the situation. If everyone is going 40 and you're going 65, maaaaybe. Everyone at 70 and you're going 90, then pretty dangerous.

If everyone is going 70 in a 50 and you're going 50 though, I'd argue you're the dangerous one (not YOU, but in general)