Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive unit, new or refurbishishid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's really worrying that both new cars and ones with supposedly "fixed" new units seem to keep dying with relatively low miles. Especially worrying is that DU's in the 70D are going out too, and this is a totally new design front and rear. What's going to happen after the warranty if they don't get this right?

Like someone else said on here, it will be the most expensive car ever to maintain out of warranty.

- - - Updated - - -

Do we know what happens in the drivetrains that develop a clunk? I read something about bearings wearing out over time due to an electrolysis effect?

I am guilty of spreading this rumour. I was told the whining is electrolysis which eventually will lead to failure if enough of the bearings gets eaten away. And that the clunk comes from high stress on the helical gears that either cause slop or in the worst cases, chipped gear teeth, that will lead to failure. I've yet to see definitive information on whether or not these two problems are the catalyst for a catastrophic drive unit failure or what exactly is a catastrophic drive unit failure when looking inside the casings.

There is also some adjustment to the half shafts to address a clunking/knocking which is not drive unit failure related.

Just had my drive unit replaced after getting stranded on I35 south of Norman, OK. They towed me to Dallas and replaced the drive unit.

I had a minor clunk when changing momentum at very low speeds for about 10k miles, but was not smart enough to worry about it till the car failed. The clunk had suddenly gotten much worse so that it was happening even at freeway speeds. At the time it failed I was going back and forth with service about getting repaired in Dallas where I was heading. There was no warning message, just a sudden loss of forward thrust. Fortunately, I was in a place where I could safely coast to the side of the freeway.

Service was great, towed me 150 miles to Dallas, loaner ready, and an offer to let me drive the loaner on to Austin or to put me up in a hotel. Spent the night with my son and the car and was ready by noon the next day. In a small world moment, a friend met the technician at a party who had worked on my car.

Here is the service order. Not sure if my parts are new or refurbished and I didn't inquire at the time.

Concern: Replace Rear Drive Unit
Pay Type: Warranty
Corrections: Replace Drive Unit Due To Inadequate Grease
Replaced the drive unit due to internal failure. Installed the platform firmware into the new
unit and test drove to check operation

Concern: Customer states when driving at speeds near 5 MPH, and either braking or
accelerating there is a noise that can be heard and felt in the rear of the vehicle.
Corrections: Rear Drive Unit - Remove and Replace
Necessary to replace the drive unit for internal failure.
Part Quantity

ASY,P-TRAIN,SPORT,MECH,COMPLETE
(1002633-01-P) 1

SIDE MOTOR MOUNT ASSEMBLY (1028034
-00-B) 1

ASY,HARN,EPB CONNECTOR COVER
(1030201-00-A) 2

BOLT, M5X15MM LONG, BUTTON
HEAD,TORX (1003397-00-A) 1

HIGH VOLTAGE INVERTER ENCLOSURE
COVER O-RING (1003784-00-A) 2

BRKT, HV CBL TO DRV INV, 2MM THK, STL
(1019545-00-A) 1

SCR, M6-1.0X12, PANHEAD,TORX, STEEL,
WITH PATCH (1011427-00-B) 1

Parts Replaced or Added
Corrections: Rear Drive Unit General Diagnosis
Confirmed mechanical internal failure in rear drive unit - remove and replace drive unit
assembly

Just had my drive unit replaced after getting stranded on I35 south of Norman, OK. They towed me to Dallas and replaced the drive unit.

I had a minor clunk when changing momentum at very low speeds for about 10k miles, but was not smart enough to worry about it till the car failed. The clunk had suddenly gotten much worse so that it was happening even at freeway speeds. At the time it failed I was going back and forth with service about getting repaired in Dallas where I was heading. There was no warning message, just a sudden loss of forward thrust. Fortunately, I was in a place where I could safely coast to the side of the freeway.

Service was great, towed me 150 miles to Dallas, loaner ready, and an offer to let me drive the loaner on to Austin or to put me up in a hotel. Spent the night with my son and the car and was ready by noon the next day. In a small world moment, a friend met the technician at a party who had worked on my car.

Here is the service order. Not sure if my parts are new or refurbished and I didn't inquire at the time.

Concern: Replace Rear Drive Unit
Corrections: Replace Drive Unit Due To Inadequate Grease
Replaced the drive unit due to internal failure. Installed the platform firmware into the new
unit and test drove to check operation

Concern: Customer states when driving at speeds near 5 MPH, and either braking or
accelerating there is a noise that can be heard and felt in the rear of the vehicle.
Necessary to replace the drive unit for internal failure.
Part Quantity

ASY,P-TRAIN,SPORT,MECH,COMPLETE
(1002633-01-P) 1

-00-B) 1

ASY,HARN,EPB CONNECTOR COVER
(1030201-00-A) 2

BOLT, M5X15MM LONG, BUTTON
HEAD,TORX (1003397-00-A) 1

HIGH VOLTAGE INVERTER ENCLOSURE
COVER O-RING (1003784-00-A) 2

BRKT, HV CBL TO DRV INV, 2MM THK, STL
(1019545-00-A) 1

SCR, M6-1.0X12, PANHEAD,TORX, STEEL,
WITH PATCH (1011427-00-B) 1

Parts Replaced or Added
Confirmed mechanical internal failure in rear drive unit - remove and replace drive unit
assembly
It looks like you got a brand new drive unit.

I recently set up a SC appointment to have my DU inspected. I developed a clunk and it seems to be slowly getting worse. I can make it happen very easily now and often hear it when moving forward from a full stop. We'll see what they say when they take a look but I concur, these issues could be death by 1,000 cuts for Tesla

I had my drive unit replaced on June 26, 2015 unit had 53k miles at time of replacement. I was driving with a small clunk/thump sound for a while not realizing it wasn't normal. As time when by the sound got louder and louder. The replacement unit does not make any sound at all when pressing or letting off of the pedal.
Test drove vehicle. Verified noises while driving. MG
Replaced rear drive unit assembly. Updated firmware and performed validation test drive.MG /TF
Part Quantity
ASY,P-
TRAIN,RMN,MDLS,SPORT,SHIM,HS,CSM
(1025598-00-M)
CBL TIE,110MM,4.6,PA66HS,UL94V2,FIR TREE (1022868-00-A)
ASY,HV COVER,INVERTER (1003783-00-B) 1
-00-B)
ETHYLENE GLYCOL COOLANT - 50/50 MIX
- 1 gallon (1029320-00-A)
AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID - DEXRON VI - SYNTHETIC 212B (1031106-
00-A)
BOLT, M12x1.75x90MM (2007064) 2
LOCK WASHER ASSEMBLY M24x39 (1020296-00-A)
NUT, HEX FLANGE M24x1.5 (1020297-00-A) 2

got a drive unit needs service prompt on wed aug 23rd.

ASY,P-TRAIN,RMN,MDLS,SPORT,CMC,HS
(1025598-00-P)
ASY,HV COVER,INVERTER (1003783-00-B) 1
-00-B)
ETHYLENE GLYCOL COOLANT - 50/50 MIX
- 1 gallon (1029320-00-A)
AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID -
DEXRON VI - SYNTHETIC 212B (1031106-
00-A)