Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Double DIN upgrade released

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is the exact model that I have.

Other items that need to be installed for full functionality:
Alpine Camera interface
sirius connect interface

If you remove the parrot bluetooth module, you gain 105W alone. (again, based on fuses.)

Fuse based max power consumption:
Alpine Equipment - ~284.2W (discounting the Rockford Amp)
Pioneer Equipment - ~175.3W (again, discounting the Rockford Amp)

i saw a car getting its double din upgrade at menlo park this week. the owner had opted to install a different head unit than the standard one. i asked how they handled that and the service manager said they just deduct the cost of the head unit. he mentioned they prefer the same brand of head unit for accessory compatibility but it did not sound like a requirement. i took some photos of the install, but they are on my other computer which is having some issues. i'll try to add them to this post at a later date.

From what little I've read, the Alpine unit in Roadster has non-standard connectors for things like the backup camera. Alpine has a new unit out, and I've briefly flirted with the idea of replacing mine with the new one. However, I haven't heard if the new unit fixes the things I hate about my current unit:

1) Can't use iPhone via cable if bluetooth is on. Have to plug, unplug, replug the phone every time.
2) Volume controls don't work for several seconds when the unit powers on.
3) Phone control works when your first program it, then it doesn't.

Then there's a bunch of UI things (3 pages for the soft buttons, etc.) that I know Alpine won't fix, but if the above are fixed I would consider an upgrade.

i saw a car getting its double din upgrade at menlo park this week. the owner had opted to install a different head unit than the standard one. i asked how they handled that and the service manager said they just deduct the cost of the head unit. he mentioned they prefer the same brand of head unit for accessory compatibility but it did not sound like a requirement. i took some photos of the install, but they are on my other computer which is having some issues. i'll try to add them to this post at a later date.

Could have been mine. (or maybe not - there are 2 custom installs underway)

Both are newer Alpine units - so pretty familiar to Tesla. Mine is the INE-S920HD while the other one is the INA-W910. I'll let everyone know how it turns out soon.

From the Alpine website it looks like the INE-S920HD and INE-Z928HD have the new software, while the INA-W910 is on an older version. The 920 has physical knobs & buttons and a 6.1" screen. The 928 looks similar but with no physical controls and a 8" screen, which unfortunately is a wasted opportunity since the resolution is the same as the 920 (800x480).

The INE-S920HD looks like the best option by the specs. Love to see a review.

Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

Have you gotten your tesla back with the INE-S920HD? Review please?

Yes. I'll do a review with pictures next week - but mini-review: It turned out excellent.

- - - Updated - - -

From the Alpine website it looks like the INE-S920HD and INE-Z928HD have the new software, while the INA-W910 is on an older version. The 920 has physical knobs & buttons and a 6.1" screen. The 928 looks similar but with no physical controls and a 8" screen, which unfortunately is a wasted opportunity since the resolution is the same as the 920 (800x480).

The INE-S920HD looks like the best option by the specs. Love to see a review.

Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

The INE-Z928HD is really a special form factor for pickup trucks and full-size SUVs.

No full review yet - but here are some photos.

I am very happy with the sound - due mostly to new Focal speakers.

As far as UI - it is not bad. I still don't have the phone UI fully working but calls come in. Pandora works over BT with a full UI. Ipod works fine but I'm not yet sure if power is maintained when the car is off or if the iPod is powered down when you turn off the car. Have not tried a CD or DVD.

DSC_1788.JPG
DSC_1793.JPG
DSC_1798.JPG
DSC_1800.JPG