Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Double DIN upgrade released

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like this is new top of the line from Alpine
Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

updated version of one found in Roadster 2.5
Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

That first unit is larger than Double DIN. There are two - A 7" upgrade of the one in the 2.5 and a 6" model that has the DVD slot above instead of behind the display. I'm trying to find out which one will be installed.

Did the original 2.5 Alpine package include a subwoofer and a standalone amp? Did the door tweeters come with that package as well? Were the other speakers the same Blaupunkt units I have or something different?

That first unit is larger than Double DIN. There are two - A 7" upgrade of the one in the 2.5 and a 6" model that has the DVD slot above instead of behind the display. I'm trying to find out which one will be installed.

Did the original 2.5 Alpine package include a subwoofer and a standalone amp? Did the door tweeters come with that package as well? Were the other speakers the same Blaupunkt units I have or something different?

The original 2.5 Alpine package came with a standalone Rockford Fosgate amp- this is the same amp that was included in the 1.5 and 2.0 Roadsters. Tesla Service has been adding Alpine part no: KTP-445 (Power Pack) to all Roadsters with the Alpine package.

From Tesla:

The Alpine unit is the same as the 2.5 roadsters IVA-NAV-10. It includes all antennas required to support the satellite radio and HD radio.

This upgrade does not include an external amp or sub. If your roadster is already equipped with an amp, we will tap into the existing amp. A sub is also not included. To have the original sub installed requires the battery pack to be removed to access the driver rear quarter panel, where the original sub is located.

Its amazing how the thread veered off into discussion of the main unit, Alpine. The hard part is moving everything, the easy part is deciding on what brand you want... oh, unless you go to Tesla's late-to-the-party, one size-fits-all approach! Yes, mine is a 3 year old Alpine unit, but Elie can put in virtually any brand you want. He's probably worked on more Teslas (including now the Model S) than all other after marketers combined!
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...-Roadsters/page4?p=40337&viewfull=1#post40337
Some of the old timers will remember when Elon sat in my car at the Model S unveiling and and looked at Franz and asked why Tesla had not made a double DIN and moved the air vents to the top instead of the front of the dash? They did not structurally think it could be done. Then Franz visited Al & Ed's corporate HQ, and after that the 2.5 interior was born! I still think the AE edition double DIN looks better than Tesla 2.5, but I realize that beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to take a 'fresh' look at your Roadster for less money, think of a wrap instead of a paint job. Hundreds instead of thousands and you can do it more on a whim. :rolleyes:

I was gonna paint mine white. I've painted every car I've owned since most cars don't come white. But for a tesla idk if its worth it. The paint will never be as hard as factory, and could lower the value. Better off getting factory replacements if you can. I doubt the whole car is toast.

I was gonna paint mine white. I've painted every car I've owned since most cars don't come white. But for a tesla idk if its worth it. The paint will never be as hard as factory, and could lower the value. Better off getting factory replacements if you can. I doubt the whole car is toast.

my understanding was that the roadster paint was intentionally not hard but rather relatively soft in order to accommodate the flex of the CF body panels.

The paint will never be as hard as factory, and could lower the value. Better off getting factory replacements if you can. I doubt the whole car is toast.

What car is 'toast'?

my understanding was that the roadster paint was intentionally not hard but rather relatively soft in order to accommodate the flex of the CF body panels.

Yep, it is a soft paint. There are also a few shops that have successfully repainted a number of Roadsters & understand the issues (including heat). I'm not planning on a major change, just refreshing it. Still will be white, maybe pearlized. I'm not going to really think about it until my X is in the driveway.

When Elie upgraded my interior/dash to allow me to put in a Double-DIN a year ago, we put in the Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT. I am very happy with it.
pioneer.jpg

Amazon.com: Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT 7 In-Dash Navigation AV Receiver with iPod/iPhone Control, Bluetooth, Pandora: Car Electronics

I'm not sure it is "hundreds" though. Mine was wrapped by the previous owner and I've been told it was $3500. Others have confirmed that this is what a professional, full wrap goes for.
Correct; depends on the extent of the wrap and who you go to to get the special "Tesla Hook-Up!" :biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

When Elie upgraded my interior/dash to allow me to put in a Double-DIN a year ago, we put in the Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT. I am very happy with it.
Proving my point in my previous post that the name of the unit is the easy thing to swap... unless of course you go with the one-sized fits-all Tesla dealer retrofit
PS-Love the leather wrinkles that make it look like that leather must be soft like butter!

View attachment 10550
Amazon.com: Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT 7 In-Dash Navigation AV Receiver with iPod/iPhone Control, Bluetooth, Pandora: Car Electronics

If y'all removed all of the old alpine equipment and put in the new pioneer equipment, you've just gained 100W of power. (the pioneer uses way less power, at least by the fuse ratings.)

I'm waiting for a system that is lightyears ahead of everything else in terms of user-interface and features before bother to replace the crappy Alpine. The Pioneer does looks nice though.