Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door Handles: Warning! Random Door Opening While Locked!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gen 1 or Gen 2 handles? Mine is a March 2013 car and I had that problem, but replacing the handles with the current design fixed it for me.

I don't know which one they are. I have a May 25,2013 car. I rebooted everything and the problem went away for 2 days but now it is back.

I'm hoping it's a software glitch and that it will go away after another update? Should I contact service for this?

I don't know which one they are. I have a May 25,2013 car.

The Gen 1 handles will fully extend, and when you pull on them to open the door, there is no apparent movement of the handle (or a very tiny bit). The Gen 2 handles will extend, then draw slightly back in to the door. When you pull on them, the handle will travel out a half inch or so before the door unlatches.

There is a microswitch in the handle that activates the door latch solenoid. My theory is that the Gen 1 handles were just too much of a "hair trigger" and the microswitch would sometimes inadvertently trigger with the motion of the handles coming out. The Gen 2 handles solve that by requiring a bit more handle travel before the microswitch is triggered.

There is a microswitch in the handle that activates the door latch solenoid. My theory is that the Gen 1 handles were just too much of a "hair trigger" and the microswitch would sometimes inadvertently trigger with the motion of the handles coming out. The Gen 2 handles solve that by requiring a bit more handle travel before the microswitch is triggered.

The Gen 1 handles had a pressure switch. Gen 2 handles have a microswitch. The microswitch requires 3 mm of travel. The chrome handle is the same, only the interior mounting is different (changed if you upgrade), which is why the Gen 2 handles light the interior of the door rather than the the outside.

Tesla service is really invisible love. I love this company. They read the forums and called me up. Will fix tomorrow morning. Car sitting in garage locked with one door handle sticking out, getting rather warm, making a constant grinding sound. I guess it's not a software bug!