Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door Handles: Warning! Random Door Opening While Locked!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, the day after the second door ajar incident I went to load my kids into the jump seats and as I leaned forward I heard the beeping sound and the back hatch which proceded to close on me. this happened a few times which motivated me to set up an appointment to have all the door issues looked at. then, the next day my 3 year old daughter let on that my less than 2 year old son had found the switch that closes the hatch from the inside, this explained his incessant laughter every time the door started to close on me :~). Turns out one solution has eliminated all the problems so far, turning on the child locks. I didn't even know there was a button to open the hatch hidden inside, within reach of the jump seats!! We have gotten a good laugh out of this one and for some reason, it seems to have eliminated the back/side door opening. I canceled my appointment with the service center telling them that I had a hunch that a software bug was at the bottom of this and that it would probably get fixed with an update. I said that I was happy to wait and see and that i'd rather not go through the hassle of bringing the car in only to have them say they couldn't find anything wrong... i've been through that too many times with cars that had intermittent issues. I figure after we have put more miles on it I will experiment with turning the child locks off and if the issues surfaces again, take it in for service at that point.

Add me to the list. I've had my car 2 days and on 3 occasions have noticed all the door handles extended and handle LED's on when they shouldn't have been. It took me awhile to figure out that it was one of the doors ajar causing this behavior. It's happened to both rear doors. They seem to pop open by themselves. I don't yet know if this is related to locking or unlocking.

Add me to the list. I've had my car 2 days and on 3 occasions have noticed all the door handles extended and handle LED's on when they shouldn't have been. It took me awhile to figure out that it was one of the doors ajar causing this behavior. It's happened to both rear doors. They seem to pop open by themselves. I don't yet know if this is related to locking or unlocking.

Call service and tell them, as close as you can, what date/time the door popped. They can check the logs and determine what happened. Most likely the will replace the offending door handle assemblies.

has anyone who has had them repaired seen a recurrence. I'm stalling for another thousand miles or so, basically don't want to give the car up for a minor issue, hoping it will self resolve with a new software update or just time and figuring I'll get the slight rattle in the right front speaker and the slight creek in the left rear sunroof area and the female side of the clip to the jump seats (the one that holds the folded bundle together for stowage) all fixed at the same time, and anything else that might come up.

slightly off topic: when parked in my buddy's heated garage (nice!) I left my key fob about five feet away from my car. As we hung out in his shop near the car the door handles would extend then retract 60 seconds later..... every three or four minutes!

My key fob was stationary on a table. We moved around a bit (working on some other projects) so perhaps the RF receiver in the car 'thought' the owner was approaching car (NOT) and should extend the handles.

Weird. I grant that programming truly desired operation of the auto extend is tricky. This (strange) example is yet another case the programmers apparently have not fully considered.

has anyone who has had them repaired seen a recurrence. I'm stalling for another thousand miles or so, basically don't want to give the car up for a minor issue, hoping it will self resolve with a new software update or just time and figuring I'll get the slight rattle in the right front speaker and the slight creek in the left rear sunroof area and the female side of the clip to the jump seats (the one that holds the folded bundle together for stowage) all fixed at the same time, and anything else that might come up.

Once my handles were replaced it never happened again. The root problem appeared to be a defective microswitch.

- - - Updated - - -

slightly off topic: when parked in my buddy's heated garage (nice!) I left my key fob about five feet away from my car. As we hung out in his shop near the car the door handles would extend then retract 60 seconds later..... every three or four minutes!

When I work in my garage, the handles are constantly extending and retracting. I just find it amusing.

Also amusing the other day was hearing a mom saying to her little kids, "watch out, that car is about to back out!" I glanced around and there were no parked cars around, everyone else's garage door was shut... oh... my parking lights are on because the handles just extended again. No one in the car!

When I work in my garage, the handles are constantly extending and retracting. I just find it amusing.

I had a close call the other day. My wife mentioned after she had walked into the garage to do the laundry that the door handles came out when she passed the car with the laundry basket.

It then suddenly occurred to me that the fob may have been in the pocket of my pants. :eek:

Indeed, it was. Luckily she hadn't started the washing machine yet and I was able to get it out un damaged.

I had my passenger front door unlock and pop open this morning while coming to a stop at a light. First time this has happened.

This concerns me when I hear it happens while people are under way. I assume you were moving and in Drive? Does the door come completely unlatched or just open to the first safety catch? It's often windy where I drive (and I imagine Chicago would be too!) and would worry that wind would catch the door and whip it open.

This concerns me when I hear it happens while people are under way. I assume you were moving and in Drive? Does the door come completely unlatched or just open to the first safety catch? It's often windy where I drive (and I imagine Chicago would be too!) and would worry that wind would catch the door and whip it open.

Just as Doug said.

Sent via Tapatalk.

The door doesn't actually open, it just goes to the second-stage latch and the door handles extend.
My rear passenger side door popped and swung wide open as I turned onto my street today! Came home from work (30 minute drive), stopped to get mail - left driver door open, got mail, sat back down, put on seatbelt and drove about 100 yards home. Turned twice and on second turn I heard the mechanism 'pop' and the door swung completely open, I nearly clipped a parked car. I had to get out and close it. I was going very slow, there were some kids playing there - less than 10 mph. Nobody has been in that seat for a week. Worried now, what if I have a grandkid sitting there?