Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door handles more responsive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed a new difference. When approaching the car from the rear with the fob it was previously possible to open the trunk without unlocking the doors. Now after pulling on the trunk lever the trunk opens and the door handles present. Not sure if it's good or bad, just something different to adapt to.

Wow, you guys pay attention to every little detail. I have 3 original handles and one new one. Until this thread I didn't even notice the door handles were slightly out of sync.

I was hoping 6.0 would fix my non-tech package annoyance where the non-driver side door handles don't always extend on first touch. When on the passenger side of the car I have to do the secret door opening technique of touch front door handle then back door handle, or vice versa, to get the handles to extend.

I've noticed that the handles are "more responsive" after 6.0, but in a very particular way: under 5.x, I had to wait until the handles were fully extended before I could pull on them. If I pulled before they had finished extending, they wouldn't register the tug. I'd have to release them, then wait for them to pull in slightly, then tug on them. Since 6.0, I can grab the handle before they're done extending, and the doors unlatch as soon as I pull them to full extension.

This detail in 5.x caught me so often that it was the first thing I noticed in 6.0 -- if I'm impatient, the doors still open!

I've noticed that the handles are "more responsive" after 6.0, but in a very particular way: under 5.x, I had to wait until the handles were fully extended before I could pull on them. If I pulled before they had finished extending, they wouldn't register the tug. I'd have to release them, then wait for them to pull in slightly, then tug on them. Since 6.0, I can grab the handle before they're done extending, and the doors unlatch as soon as I pull them to full extension.

This detail in 5.x caught me so often that it was the first thing I noticed in 6.0 -- if I'm impatient, the doors still open!

I've been snagged by this behavior so many times that after seeing your post, I immediately went out to try it on my car. Unfortunately, mine still behave the old way. If I grab the handle before it fully extends, the door won't open. I have to let or force the handles to retract and start over. I have a sig and I'm pretty sure they're the gen 1 handles. Is there any way to positively identify whether a handle is gen 1 or 2 just by looking at it?

I've been snagged by this behavior so many times that after seeing your post, I immediately went out to try it on my car. Unfortunately, mine still behave the old way. If I grab the handle before it fully extends, the door won't open. I have to let or force the handles to retract and start over. I have a sig and I'm pretty sure they're the gen 1 handles. Is there any way to positively identify whether a handle is gen 1 or 2 just by looking at it?

Gen2 doen't extend fully and the light is 3/4 hidden by the door.

Mine has been upgraded to Gen 2 handles. If you watch closely, they will extend, then withdraw ever so slightly. If I grab it too soon, the handle will not open the door and will "snap" back in then slowly extend again. I'll have to check and see if 6.0 has helped in this regard.

- - - Updated - - -

On my car with the revised handles the LED is only maybe 1/4 obscured...

Same here. Not really an issue because I still get good illumination from them at night. Also, for some reason, my car has "puddle lights" on the bottom of the door edges in addition to the handle lights. I understand not all cars have these.