Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't make the same mistake I made...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(Maybe we need a "Things I always carry in the trunk" thread)

I have in the trunk currently:
UMC, TM J1772, The CAN, NEMA 14-50 extension (10' of 6GA SO cable), Tesla Tool Kit, Fix-a-flat

Emergency Supplies that I carry regardless of which vehicle I am in:
Fire Extinguisher (ABC rated, small), Large First Aid Kit (with a small tube of CA for sealing medium sized cuts.), Duct Tape(small roll)

Do you also carry a compressor? Seems that pulling a nail out will let out a lot of air. Here's a kit from Griot's that, while not cheap, includes a nice bag and a small air compressor:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/tire+repair+kit+with+12-volt+air+compressor.do

Yes, I also have a small air compressor as well. Looks like a nice little setup in that link. I found a compact compressor that fits in my bag at Ross.... never know what pops up at that place!

In my first few months as an owner, I made a similar mistake 200 miles from home. It was not my proudest moment. I carry the spare connector and the "short and sweet" J.1772 connector at all times. Everything is secured with a piece of Velcro strap connected to the left platform. The Velcro and removable platform top; also secured to the car with Velcro, have plenty of hooks and loops to form a good bond.

Trunk.jpg

Good point and thanks for the heads up about the compressor and overdraw on the AMP current on the roadster's cigarette lighter. Anyone know why it was set so low at 12 amps? The lowest amp draw for a DC based air compressor is 15 amps which I'm sure will blow the fuse.

Looks like I'll be searching for a small rechargeable one. Have to pay attention at the reviews, it appears some of these rechargeable units don't have enough amp hours in the battery to really do the job if you're stuck on the side of the road. I see that some people are modifying and upgrading the battery packs on these things, and after that mod they work pretty well. I may just use my spare motorcycle sealed gel battery and one of my battery clamp on style air compressors.

Worse case is that I keep the 20AMP compressor in the car as an emergency, if I really was in a pinch and cars are around I could borrow their DC outlet for a few minutes. Something is better than nothing.

Now that I'm thinking of it, why can't I tap off a 20 AMP direct DC connection or custom connection to the dedicated 12 Volt battery that's housed in the front of the roadster? I may just go that route. Makes sense to me, not limited to burning up under-rated circuits, unknown roadster wiring, and can wire and be limited to my own direct fused circuit. I just built my battery pack and high output compressor up in my emergency duffel bag and I don't like the extra weight at all as well as the space it takes up....

Last edited:
Since we are talking about being stranded on the side of the road...
Before TM last changed their website, the phone number for their US roadside service was listed. At the time I copied it into my phone "just in case".
Anyone knows if that phone number still work? I cannot find any mention of roadside assistance on the TM website...
The number ended with 52.

I'm thinking of getting a Viair unit and then also carrying around a small AGM motorcycle battery. Any thoughts on how to spec the battery size-wize? This would be for emergency fills only.

I have a Battery Tender that I bought for motorcycles, and recently bought this battery for my wife's Vespa. It was under $25 and it's as compact as possible. I could get a Jump Starter unit, but that's more money and more importantly size than I want, and this way I can take the Viair with my other vehicles. Space is precious on Roadster.

I was considering getting the unit that Cinergi referenced, even outside of B&D quality, it seems like it might be bigger/harder to stow than the Viair + battery. From interviewing with B&D decades ago I also have quality concerns, but that's another story.

Again, any ideas on battery size to run a Viair?

Last edited:
Yes, I also have a small air compressor as well. Looks like a nice little setup in that link. I found a compact compressor that fits in my bag at Ross.... never know what pops up at that place!

I have used that compressor on my roadster with success topping off my tires............ BUT ............... one time i was adding about 10lbs to a rear tire and it blew the fuse. I now carry a spare fuse with my trunk kit just in case i need to access the Roadsters 12 volt outlet.

Thats the griotsgarage version i'm talking about.

I have the Griots charger also, and ran into blowing fuses when I used it with my Lotus Evora a few years back. So I carried extra fuses and just ignored it. I have since put it in my Roadster, but didn't really think about testing it in the lighter socket, but I would assume it may be the same issue based on what others are saying.

Would it make sense to carry something like the following?
battery-cigarette-lighter-extension on Amazon

I don't know how easy or difficult it is to get to the small 12V battery under the front passenger fender, but this seems like it might work much better getting the power directly from that battery. Thoughts?