Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't make the same mistake I made...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If this really works, it certainly seems worth occupying one of the spaces underneath the lower section of the trunk.

For reinflating the tire just enough to get to a service location, I wonder if anyone has considered the idea of sharing pressure among the tires using a piece of tubing with fittings and a valve arrangement to connect from one or more of the other three tires to the patched one.

I carry a similar type of plug kit - not as fancy looking as this one, but last time I had a flat at home, I tested it out. It really did seal the hole, I filled the tire from my home compressor, and it held just fine - no air coming out at all, I tested with water. But since it was a test, I then had the tire replaced, but some people will run on these plugs forever.

If this really works, it certainly seems worth occupying one of the spaces underneath the lower section of the trunk.

From what I can tell, the Dynaplug has the advantage that there are no liquids to dry out over time. However, you need a clean hole and you need air the tire. The kits come with plugs to temporarily stop air leakage after you pull the nail out. The Safety Seal ones do require their glue/lubricant, but they can repair holes even if there's no air in the tire. The Dynaplug kit is really compact, as it's designed for motorcycles.

Similarly, the Dynaplug air compressor is really small, low amperage, but rated for over 30 minutes of continuous use. So, it's OK for inflating car tires.

- - - Updated - - -

The DC-DC converter is somewhat sensitive to noise on the output. The owners' manual mentions there are restrictions on the type of devices (not just load size) you can plug into the 12v port in the cabin. Without searching for the posts, a couple of TMC members had to replace theirs after plugging a dirty load into it. The switchpacks are also very sensitive and Tesla replaced a lot of the early ones. The later cars were not immune to this issue.

Here's where I'm at right now. It's either the Dynaplug 6amp unit or a CO2 tank (which is about the same size as the Slime can, btw) plus a valve and hose. The Dynaplug is cheaper and you don't have to worry about explosions or running out, but if it's going to wreak havoc with Roadster's 12 volt system, then I'll go the CO2 route.

Thoughts?

I like the Dynaplug air compressor above, seems like it would be much less draw than the one I got from Griots. I think I'll get one and check it out.

We have to be able to plug "something" into the accessory outlet without causing damage to the 12V system. The Roadster owners manual only says:

Note: The power socket is suitable for accessories requiring up to 10A or a maximum of 125 watts.

The Dynaplug compressor has the following specs:

Max Current 6amp
Power 72W