Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't like how you have to slam the frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had not seen that official video. My deliveryist said to put hands on the front corners of the frunk and then abruptly push down to latch it. Leaning on it sounds like it would be easier. I also have not mastered the amount of pressure needed to close it as it takes me 3-4 tries as I'm trying not to bend it.

Even if there was a latch to meet safety standards, I don't see why the opening and closing couldn't still be power or at least soft closing somehow. Maybe I don't understand the latching requirement.

I'll try some different techniques for closing the frunk when I get the car back. Thanks.

-m

Even if there was a latch to meet safety standards, I don't see why the opening and closing couldn't still be power or at least soft closing somehow. Maybe I don't understand the latching requirement.

As a government mandate, it doesn't have to make sense. Understanding is not required.

I'll try some different techniques for closing the frunk when I get the car back.

Using the palm of both hands about 15 cm apart, press down slowly until the latches click twice. I've never had it fail to latch. And yes, I have had a hood open up while driving, though it's been many years now. Almost as bad as ice fog.

This is the top reason that I'm waiting for a SW update adding "Valet Mode" with the Frunk button disabled before I trust valet parking.

It's far too likely a valet jockey will accidentally open the Frunk, which will lead him to slam and dent it.

I had this exact scenario happen to me a few weeks ago. I had them park the car up front where I could see it (and see that they weren't joyriding in it). Upon picking it up, the valet doesn't know about the auto-present handles so she proceeds to push all the buttons on the remote. This pops the frunk, so to close it she starts to smash the hell out of it. I run screaming for her to stop, but she gets it closed. I grab my fob and drive off.

For a panel that has a LOT of foam seals to compress, this is the worst way to close it.

I really hate the way the frunk closes.

I would caution using just one hand over the latch - that technique gave me this:

DSC_6408.JPG

Full description here: Safest Way to Close the Frunk? | Forums | Tesla Motors

Or you could try my method, also gets a lot of attention:

Lower the frunk lid till nearly closed, make sure you have no rivets on your back pockets. Turn around and back up to the edge of the frunk and do one quick squat. I do it every week at the grocery store. Maybe it only works for girls...

LOL. My wife weighs 104 lbs. and prefers this method, too. No oomph involved.

- - - Updated - - -

Could this be avoided by hinging the hood in the front? Anyone with experience with that design who could comment?

I had a BMW 2002 tii for 40 years until last year. Never did care for the design if I had to work on the battery, radiator, or anything else at the front. If there were no engine there like the MS, you would have to lift and heave over the wheel wells when loading the space.

This was discussed when they first built the S. Apparently, it's not so much regulatory requirements as a safety issue -- having the latching be manual and not automatic means that buggy software can't cause the frunk to inadvertently open while driving, which would obviously be a major safety hazard. Tesla was apologetic about it, but said its necessary to ensure that this never happens so the latching has to be done this way, with manual force in the spots shown on their video.

This was discussed when they first built the S. Apparently, it's not so much regulatory requirements as a safety issue -- having the latching be manual and not automatic means that buggy software can't cause the frunk to inadvertently open while driving, which would obviously be a major safety hazard. Tesla was apologetic about it, but said its necessary to ensure that this never happens so the latching has to be done this way, with manual force in the spots shown on their video.

Ok I get it, but at least give me a power pull-down after the thing is latched. Kinda like on a Lincoln Town Car trunk, where you close it until it clicks and then it pulls down the rest of the way. Won't need to put any hand pressure on it then, and it will seal perfectly every time. I can live without power up (but would prefer it too).

I did watch the video and will try that.

Does anyone else put their hands on the front corners of the frunk when applying closing pressure?

-m

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a related frunk thread....

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/13134-Creating-a-warning-label-not-to-slam-the-frunk

But the car software can and does open both latches on the frunk.

Actually, yes, the button will unlatch it completely. (Mind you it won't elevate it like the rear hatch, but it does release it completely to let it be lifted by hand)

I do find that sometimes it doesn't completely unlatch, but then the only way to open it is to push slight down on the frunk hood while pushing the button to let it unlatch properly.

- - - Updated - - -

Does it open both latches? I e never had mine come all the way open when opening the frunk, just to the point that the latch catches it.
Think there is zero chance of tesla being allowed for it to be opened all of the way by the government.

OK, then how do you open it? There is no manual latch on the MS to unhook like most front hoods?

I wonder if any of you with super-high-end cars ever have had one that has any hood closer function any differently from the Model S's? Soft close; power assist, et cetera???

I wonder if any of you with super-high-end cars ever have had one that has any hood closer function any differently from the Model S's? Soft close; power assist, et cetera???

I think the difference is the frunk is intended to be used for storage and being made of steel there was no need to be delicate.

I think the software releases only the main latch. The secondary one is the emergency catch as far as I know. Ours only catches if I don't close the frunk the whole way on the first attempt. Then I have to use the manual release button like old fashioned ICE's have while pushing slightly down on the hood to release it.

I searched for a bit but can't find one. I'm guessing it's more of a non-issue for ICE car owners as they probably don't care if the mechanic has a power hood or not.

I also searched for a law regarding hood latches but came up empty as well. Lots of sites talking about complaints regarding hood latch failures though.

Anyone else have any info?

-m

FMVSS standard 113:

§571.113 Standard No. 113; Hood latch system.
S1. Purpose and scope. This standard establishes the requirement for providing a hood latch system or hood latch systems.

S2. Application. This standard applies to passenger cars, multipurpose passenger vehicles, trucks, and buses.

S3. Definitions. Hood means any exterior movable body panel forward of the windshield that is used to cover an engine, luggage, storage, or battery compartment.

S4. Requirements.

S4.1 Each hood must be provided with a hood latch system.

S4.2 A front opening hood which, in any open position, partially or completely obstructs a driver's forward view through the windshield must be provided with a second latch position on the hood latch system or with a second hood latch system.

As you can see it's very thorough. :)

49 CFR 571.113 is the full location.