Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does frunk trim pieces have a purpose besides aesthetics?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm asking because I was thinking to remove all the trim permanently and just leave the frunk tub.

When I first got my P85D and its battery heater broke, I removed all the frunk trim pieces and the tub while troubleshooting and found it very convenient to be able to see/inspect all the mechanical parts up front super-easily. As a matter of fact, I actually drove to the SC for fixing the heater without any frunk trim pieces or the tub and had no issues.

So aside from aesthetics when opening the frunk, do they serve any other purpose? Do they channel air that seeps in through the panel gaps? Do they channel rain or water during a car wash?

I basically want the convenience to open the hood, do a quick inspection (pumps, coolant, battery, drive shafts, suspension, etc), and close the hood. I've consider removing the tub entirely too since I'm quite the minimalist and will never-ever use the frunk. I barely use the trunk as it is. Plus, as a bonus, less weight up front.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

I'm asking because I was thinking to remove all the trim permanently and just leave the frunk tub.

When I first got my P85D and its battery heater broke, I removed all the frunk trim pieces and the tub while troubleshooting and found it very convenient to be able to see/inspect all the mechanical parts up front super-easily. As a matter of fact, I actually drove to the SC for fixing the heater without any frunk trim pieces or the tub and had no issues.

So aside from aesthetics when opening the frunk, do they serve any other purpose? Do they channel air that seeps in through the panel gaps? Do they channel rain or water during a car wash?

I basically want the convenience to open the hood, do a quick inspection (pumps, coolant, battery, drive shafts, suspension, etc), and close the hood. I've consider removing the tub entirely too since I'm quite the minimalist and will never-ever use the frunk. I barely use the trunk as it is. Plus, as a bonus, less weight up front.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Only there for looks on the front and side. The top cover has a seal to the hood which guides air around the wipers. I drive one of my cars without the frunk tub, trims and hood cover and haven't even noticed a wind noise increase. Everything under the tub and trims are fully exposed to the elements anyway. Just keep the upper control arm covers or you will have rocks/gravel hitting the hood.

Only there for looks on the front and side. The top cover has a seal to the hood which guides air around the wipers.

I'll take a closer look at this tonight.

I drive one of my cars without the frunk tub, trims and hood cover and haven't even noticed a wind noise increase.

As I mentioned, I drove 2.5 hours at 70mph+ to the nearest SC and then another 2.5 back home with the frunk all trimmed out + tub and didn't notice anything unusual at all.

Everything under the tub and trims are fully exposed to the elements anyway. Just keep the upper control arm covers or you will have rocks/gravel hitting the hood.

I remember seeing the ground through the sides and was thinking to myself "what about rain, mud, and snow that gets kicked up in there?" I was hugely surprised to see that big hold with the cover for the upper control arm. Then again, most lower-priced vehicles don't have a cover at all under the engine bay. Perhaps I'm just used to the more expensive cars having them and expecting as much from an expensive Tesla vehicle.

Thanks for the feedback, I think I'm gonna yank everything out the front and keep it fully accessible... and I'll just tell everyone that the frunk was a $10,000 option that I opted out from. 🤭

Reactions: blodg1