Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Your Tesla Make You A More Aggressive Driver?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would have to say that I may not drive more aggressively, but I do accelerate more aggressively in my Tesla - but it's really hard not to. There is no loud engine to rev or transmission to shift. The car just makes a whooshing sound and then it's gone.

I really love the acceleration of the Model S and will usually try to get a front-row slot at a stoplight if I can. I have learned to be very cautious at stoplights though since my wife's Taurus was totaled about 10 years ago. She was at a red light in-between a delivery van and a pickup truck and the light turned green. All three started moving forward, but both trucks stopped. She had limited visibility to either side and didn't see a lawn-crew truck and trailer running two very red lights at the split intersection. Her car T-boned the truck and was totaled. She was shaken quite a bit, but walked away with only an airbag burn on her arm. The kicker was that despite several eye witnesses, the cop declined to give a ticket to the red-light runner because the officer "didn't see it happen". And this was in a city that had a strict red-light policy campaign at the time. Needless to say, I am very careful at intersections, but love to accelerate to the speed limit when it is safe to do so. I probably only use 1/2 throttle 99% of the time which is generally sufficient to put a Tesla grin on my face and add a bit of enjoyment to my 15 minute commute.
I was riding with my mother-in-law while waiting for delivery of my car and pointed out that there was an S60 next to us since she had never seen a Tesla. At green the Tesla went and easily pulled away from us. My MIL made a comment about how fast she was accelerating. I said "she's not even trying, and that's the slow one".

Now that I have my car I notice that I do the same thing without trying. I'm not racing anyone, but the gap gets huge really easily.

For me the knowing that I can be quicker than anyone on the road is enough. That alone makes me smile. I sometimes use the acceleration I have, but far less than ever before.

Also, there is no noise of the engine, which makes me more aggressive.

[*]If you have a Tesla, do you find that you tend to drive it more aggressively that other cars you have owned?

Less aggressively, actually. The car can cruise at 10 mph or even 5 mph without "engine complaining", and it's very comfortable when it's at a dead stop (not shaking like ICE cars do). As a result, I'm a lot more relaxed in traffic jams.

- - - Updated - - -

I've wondered this as well, but I agree with the previous posters who cited the insanely high repair costs as a strong deterrent to driving any more aggressively than in another car.
This too. Even small body damage will cost a huge amount of money, so I'm actually trying to stay away from other cars as much as possible... I have still scratched my wheels up, but not the body....

---
The massive digital speedometer also encourages me to stay under the speed limit, which I always *tried* to do, but it's easier with such a blatant readout.

I do find that I start off the line from a stop sign or red light with tremendous acceleration, so that I'm a block ahead almost immediately. But it doesn't seem *aggressive*, it's just what happens when you put your foot on the pedal from 0-30. Other cars are sluggish in that range.

Last edited:
I'd say I drive more aggressively safer.

The immediate response eliminates a variable of some uncertanty, and all four wheels being driven adds a stability not available in RWD.

Others seem to notice me less, as there is no downshifting, engine revs, intake and exhaust noise as with ICE vehicles.

I definately drive more aggressively, but more safely as well. At a stoplight I know I can accelerate faster than any other car next to me, but rarely do. On the freeway I will quickly move into a a space I would not have before, and occasionally just punch it because I can, but only if I think it is safe. I did get my first speeding ticket in a decade the first week I owned the 85D, and I think the officer singled me out as I was not going faster than the other traffic. Anyway, I use the TACC about 90% of the time now and only manually demonstrate the car's power on occasion.

I am actually a mellower driver. I don't want to be branded as one of those rich jerks being flashy. I also use TACC all the time in traffic and I have learned to just "let go" of the too slow drivers and traffic, and let the car do the work-while staying completely vigilant all the time. It has actually reduced my stress and annoyance tremendously.

I do find it ironic that I buy one the quickest cars on the planet and I now drive more slowly than before. Maybe it's part of growing up...finally!

So I have only had my 85D for a week....but I am a much mellower driver (especially using TACC). My 911 is setup for autox...corners seem to flatten for it and I wind up passing traffic like cones. I even drive the Tesla less aggressively than my V8 Touareg...maybe because its worth 10x? (2x new)

+1 CHG-ON - fully agree...except growing up!

I do insane launches from red lights (to the legal speed limit and when the road is completely clear ahead...and definitely not to race anyone), but I typically find driving it is more "chill." Even in my music choices. There's something about the weight, silence, and speed combination that makes it less aggressive to me. It feels a lot more like when I would fly an airplane. There's that exhilaration of its speed, but also a feeling of responsibility behind it. I also have enough appreciation that being "very safe" or even "safest" still doesn't mean "invincible."

I realize they are different cars, but my Volt makes me a more chilled driver - trying to optimize range. Then again, when I know I'm going to make it home on the juice, I do floor it at every light . . .

Interesting Thread . . .

I was more careful with the Volt because I didn't want to risk getting into using gas. If I had plenty of range, then I would do the Volt's "sport mode". The Model S, it's like sport mode all the time....and 416 HP is a lot more than 149 HP, even with an extra 800 pounds to haul around.

The downside is that the Volt is close to 250 Wh per mile to drive for me on average. The TMS is closer to 340 Wh per mile. The TMS has bumped up my power bill about $10 per month vs. the Chevy Volt.