Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$2 per mile, Tesla safety score insurance hike 50%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Certainly considered it
W
Or just getting a different vehicle
Since you are driving so few miles and half of them is after 10p , the FCW and Night driving dings are easily max out, it will bring the score way down and you don't have much driving history in Texas may contribute to higher rate. Dallas and Houston rates are much higher than other cities also.

Reactions: KuramaKitsune
I was never made aware of a variable rate because it didn't exist in California
If memory serves I think I was paying 120 a month out in California with no safety score BS
[...]But more so that I was quoted one number and never told that this number could cut itself in half or triple itself
And one factor that is literally costing me hundreds of dollars is a bad sensor telling the system I'm having 130 forward collision warnings in 19 minutes on a 3-mile drive

Just about ALL variable rate insurance companies start you on a "teaser" low-starter rate, then jack up the prices once you are hooked. Excuses for jacking up the rates may vary, and some (like Tesla's) are highly dubious, but the result is always the same - rates go up.

Thus the ongoing joke / marketing ingle from ALL insurance companies - "drivers who switch to us save XX% on their insurance".
The teaser rates structure all but guarantees that to be true for just about everyone. Variable rate pricing simply makes this more explicit.

Don't over-analyze pretexts Tesla is giving you to jack up your rates.
If they want to jack them up, the reasons will follow. Not the other way around.

Yes, the score is BS.
So is the entire variable pricing model, that you have chosen to join on your own volition.
If you enjoy driving - variable insurance pricing is not for you.

I had fun with it once, many years ago. Joined XYZ's variable rate program for a "trial period" that included two (2) DE weekends. They called it to inquire if their plug-in device was defective or installed correctly, since it was reporting triple-digit quantity of speeding, threshold braking, and high speed turn events on some days, but not the others. :D

The guy I talked to on the phone from Tesla basically said if you don't like it shop around

Precisely the right advise !
None of us here can move a needle on your insurance rates. Or our own rates.
Your only recourse is to shop around, and get the best value for the price.

Just remember - insurance payments are not tax returns. You are NOT looking to minimize the dollar amount.
Your insurance rate is an upfront payment for future payout in time of an accident. The ease, convenience, speed, and quality of service during that payout eventuality is what you are pre-buying. If the company whose future services your are buying is notoriously bad at providing those service (Tesla, Geico), then you may want to consider paying for a second highest service provider upfront, to secure better service experience down the road.

HTH, YMMV,
a

Last edited:
Reactions: Aellinsar