Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone have a home solar setup that covers all charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is a link to almost six years of production results from my 9.9 kW DC Solar PV system in Boulder: Cottonwood Grove Annual Comparison

This average annual production output of 14,263 kW-hr from 9.9 kW DC of Solar Panels is within 1% of the predicted output from PVWatts Calculator and produces more solar energy than both Teslas use.

Solar PVs.jpg

Hi Cottonwood,

I'm assuming this is a custom home you built. What is in the other two garage stalls?
Which came first during the design? The garage or the house?

Here is a link to almost six years of production results from my 9.9 kW DC Solar PV system in Boulder: Cottonwood Grove Annual Comparison

This average annual production output of 14,263 kW-hr from 9.9 kW DC of Solar Panels is within 1% of the predicted output from PVWatts Calculator and produces more solar energy than both Teslas use.

View attachment 51947

Hi Cottonwood,

I'm assuming this is a custom home you built. What is in the other two garage stalls?
Which came first during the design? The garage or the house?

Yes, it is a custom designed house, the ensemble was designed together.

The uses of each garage bay varies, but today, they are, from right to left:

1. Bicycles, ATV, and workbench.
  2. Tractor and implements.
  3. Model S
  4. Roadster

Does anyone here have a home solar installation that is large enough to cover 100% of your daily driving? How is it working for you?
Mine's a 5.6kW system. It's been up almost a year now (~350 days) with 4.81 MWh produced. In 17 months of owning Model S, I've spent ~ 11 MWh.

Note that I don't do all my charging at home.

Another data point for the number crunching.

I have 35 SunPower 228 watt panels that make about 14 megawatts per year:

Tony Williams Solar System

That covers my house almost completely, as I paid an annual "true up" bill yesterday of about $50. The EV's are on a separate meter, however the next generation of solar will add:

July 2014 - Solar City (Tesla) 10kWh battery / inverter / charger / auto transfer switch so that I can use the solar when the grid is off-line.

Fall 2014 - either trade the 228 watt panels for 300 watt panels, or add ten more 300 watt panels (I have Enphase micro-inverters, so I can add, mix and match, and move around with ease)

For the EV specific question, we drive two EV's a total of 40,000 miles per year, therefore at 333 wattsHours per mile from "the wall" (about 290 driving... very efficient driving), that's 12 megawatts per year. So, I'll plan on almost doubling my solar capacity to 26 megawatts annually. That will take 50 total of the 300 watt panels (15 more than the 35 existing 228 watt panels that I have).

Unfortunately, there isn't enough room on my south facing roof for that.

Last edited:
I'm able to cover my usage, I drive 70 miles every day and with my system cover the car and about 70% of my home usage.

My home Is completely lit with LED lighting, has spray foam insulation and I heat with a high efficiency wood stove insert in the winter. Electric bill is about $50 a month in 5000 SQFT home with a 50,000 gallon pool. My AC IS ONLY SEER 13, once it goes will get the highest SEER unit I can find.

Weird I have an FJ CRUISER also. It is the most inefficient product I own. Looking to convert it to Diesel once the gas engine goes.

Need about 30 more 250watt panels to completely be "Net Zero".

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 161
Last edited: