Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone find their Model 3 seat very uncomfortable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oddly I sometimes find the seats comfortable and sometimes not, they're not as good as I would expect from a £50k car but also not terrible.

I do find it odd that they have relatively little adjustment when compared with other vehicles in the same price bracket or rather they are only up to the standard of a base model.

I am going to have a bit more play with my position now that I have a few hundred miles on the clock and particularly after seeing the comment suggesting that I set the rake of the seat first to support my legs properly.

I’ve tried so many different positions, the seat pinches my upper leg bones in the back. You can see it narrows to the back and that pinches my leg bones back there, it cause pain through my leg if I don’t squirm and sit at weird angles to relive the pressure points. It’s quite hard and unforgiving.

I don’t like how I’m forced to lean back and bend like a programmer to keep my neck from being crooked forward. I can’t entertain sitting up straighter as the headrest is far too obtrusive and adjustable.

I really like everything about the car, but I’m really looking into my options with this seat.

It’s horrible.

Reactions: candida
I’ve tried so many different positions, the seat pinches my upper leg bones in the back. You can see it narrows to the back and that pinches my leg bones back there, it cause pain through my leg if I don’t squirm and sit at weird angles to relive the pressure points. It’s quite hard and unforgiving.

I don’t like how I’m forced to lean back and bend like a programmer to keep my neck from being crooked forward. I can’t entertain sitting up straighter as the headrest is far too obtrusive and adjustable.

I really like everything about the car, but I’m really looking into my options with this seat.

It’s horrible.

i have a similar issue, for me its more the in the distal part of the upper leg....
What helps is to roll up a small microfibre towel and cram that where the pressure is. it kinda helps.

I found the seats comfy but lacking in support as others have said. They compare favourably with my previous car's seats, which had 10 way adjustability with airbags that allowed you to set the shape along with all the other normal adjustments. Oh and massage too, which felt like a proper massage, not a load of vibrating elements - it worked by inflating the many air bags in sequence one after another. And heating / cooling.

So to my main issue with the Tesla seats, and that is the so-called "vegan leather" they are covered with, which got sweaty on the test drive. Why they could not have used real leather, or at least installed seat cooling, is beyond me.

I have picked up my model 3 today and drove for 3.5 hrs. The seats initially are very comfortable however I found that the bottom side of the seats so soft the plastic tray underneath was digging into my hips? Does anyone else find this?
don't take this the wrong way... but are you at the high end of the weight bell curve? If not, then I would maybe have the seat checked.

I don't like driving for too long in the model 3 either because of the seats.. have to stop and walk around a bit to get the aches and pains out. They're a bit to hard and don't form to my body shape the way soft seats do.

My cheap ass peugeot had far more comfy seats, cloth too (what I wouldn't give for a cloth seat option for the Tesla).

OTOH I rarely go really long distances in the car so in practice it's not a major issue.

Sheesh what’s the average BMI and age of a Tesla driver!!!!

I agree they could have a bit more side bolster adjustment, but you also don’t want them too tight for day to day driving. How often to people really track a Tesla Model 3…….you don’t want to make them too stiff. The they had the ability to squeeze the sides for the butt, and shoulders, abs also extend to bottom for more thigh support depending on leg length that would be ideal. I also agree that the M3P should have more special seats.

Maybe an upholsterer could stuff the seats and form the foam a bit different for you. Not super cheap, but it might be worth it to you.

I'm 182cm tall. Prior to taking delivery in March I was quite concerned about the shortness of the lower seat swab. Coming from BMW sports seats where there is an extendable lower section, I thought it might be an issue. However, I've found the seats to be good. The lower swab tilt function provides decent compensation for the lack of length. Personally, I would like a little bit more lateral support, but for comfort over long journeys I've been impressed.

I have always found the Model 3 seats very comfortable. For longer journeys in any seat there's some advantage to make some changes to the positioning, lumbar support etc just so that your body doesn't just get fixed into one position. This is a bit like workstation issues ... there's actually no perfect position ... part of the problem can simply be being in the same position for too long (even if that is a recommended positioning) so moving things around to change angles and pressure points can be a good idea.

5' 9" and 86kg.. the seats are comfortable but I'm "slim hipped".
They lack side bolster support and the distance from seat back to front is a bit mean.
But overall a 2.5 hour drive caused me no grief. SWMBO prefers the seats in the C43 Coupe she drives.
The headrests are weird, to narrow and to convex to offer much real protection.

I find the M3 seats actually reduce my lifelong nagging back ache. You can generally be stiff in any car after a few hours sitting still but as for my back its better after the drive than before. Very good support in the lumbar region.
Just a pity about the vegan leather (read PVC). Clammy in sweaty temperatures and not so sure about longevity with the propensity to de-laminate when in contact with certain oils (hair/suntan).

I find my Model 3 seat fine, but I always seem to be up against and slightly on top of the right hand side bolster. I've tried shifting over left slightly but always end up back there after a few miles. No idea why, its never happened in other cars.

Plus the headrests are rubbish. They are too curved, so your head rests on only a tiny patch, which then easily rolls left and right sideways. It should be flat or slightly concave IMO.