Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drivers seat has turned very uncomfortable at 90k miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently have about 96k miles in my Model 3. Recently I have noticed the seat has become very uncomfortable, and can feel it pushing on lower hip/joints, especially on longer drives.

I am only 26 so its not a matter of ages.

Has anyone replaced the seat foam? I’ve seen a few people say they added foam in but don’t know what foam to get.

From the guide -
Never hold the steering wheel at the top with onehand.
😬
I've played about with the seat position a few times, I think I have it mostly right now. Sometimes on long motorway trips my legs go a bit dead but I figured that would happen regardless of configuration. I might fiddle it some more, especially after reading that two finger under knee gap thing.
For a while I could feel the bar in the cushion around my hips but I don't anymore.

As a follow up, the thing that most reduced the hip and thigh discomfort on the edges was raising the front of the seat (in my case all the way up).
This spread the load along the seat rather than into my hips alone and made the ride more comfortable.
I did this but still digging in at the back.

Just bought a new seat pad from Tesla to install this week. Feeling the difference, the foam on the side bolsters is a lot firmer and supportive on the new pad.

Will upload pictures this week.

• Helpful
Reactions: Foxsbiscuits
I did this but still digging in at the back.

Just bought a new seat pad from Tesla to install this week. Feeling the difference, the foam on the side bolsters is a lot firmer and supportive on the new pad.

Will upload pictures this week.
Good info, I didn't realise that was an option let alone a DIY one. Did you ask for one through the app and is it just the seat cushion piece? How much was it too?

Good info, I didn't realise that was an option let alone a DIY one. Did you ask for one through the app and is it just the seat cushion piece? How much was it too?
Sorry for the delay in replying.

I requested the below part numbers in the app and the associates quantities.

The service manual for the replacing the cushion is here - Model 3 Service Manual | Tesla.

It took me about 2 hours, but probably could do again now in an hour. Most of it was figuring out how to take the connectors off from under the seat and easiest way of fitting the cover over the new foam.

It is night and day difference between the old and new foam though, so much better. You could feel on the old foam cushion how the side bolster nearest the door was really soft and the new one is much firmer.

If you want any more info on how to do it let me know. Cost was around £200 for all the parts.

1708376316502.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: Foxsbiscuits