Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I regret my Model Y purchase because of seat comfort and seating position problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After having my model y for 5 months, I have to say that I unfortunately regret my purchase, because it's just not a good fit for me. And I mean that literally. For my body, the seat is not comfortable, and I can't achieve a comfortable driving position.

As I know others have discussed in other posts, for some people, me included, the seat bolsters are simply too narrow towards the rear, and it feels like I'm partially sitting on the bolsters themselves, which gives an uncomfortable feeling similar to as if I were sitting on a wallet in a back pocket. This leads to general discomfort and even a dull ache after time.

While it's less of a concern, I also find the back bolsters to be too narrow as well. These are less uncomfortable than the seat, but it adds to the feeling that the seat simply does not fit my body.

For those wondering, I'm 6'2" and 180lbs, and a lot of my height comes from a very long torso, and less so from leg length.

Which leads to the next problem. With relatively short legs, I sit relatively close to the dash. But with a long torso, my head ends up being very high up in the car. Even with the seat adjusted all the way down, I'm way too high up in the car. I have to duck down to see traffic lights. And if I keep a straight back and lean forwards, my forehead hits the headliner. I'm not entirely convinced that the airbag would actually protect my head in the event of a crash.

Now I get it, I have an atypical body shape, and I would have these issues in many other cars as well. The thing that irks me is that I've been driving a 2011 VW GTI for the past decade, and I've had no issues with seating position what-so-ever, and that's a significantly smaller car than the model y. The GTI allows me to lower the seat way lower than the model y. The model y seats are just sitting on a platform, which eats into what could have been space in which to lower the seat even further. If I could just lower the model y seat another 3-5 inches, I would be able to achieve a correct seating position.

I really like almost everything else about this vehicle, but it's frustrating that it just doesn't fit me! And of course you might be saying "boo hoo why didn't you test drive it first?". Well, yeah, that's on me, I should have. I test drove a Model 3 when it first came out and don't remember having either of these issues. When the Model Y price dropped, I jumped on it and ordered one off the lot within an hour of the announcement without a test drive as I was afraid they'd sell out quickly, thinking that the larger model Y would surely not have issues like this with it being a larger vehicle. But lesson learned; I always need to test drive vehicles going forward, and I learned that vehicle size is not always correlated to headroom, seat adjustment range, seat comfort, etc.

What am I going to do with the Model Y? I don't know yet, probably keep it and just suck it up. There isn't really any other EV that qualifies for the tax credit that I would actually want to own at this time. The price/powertrain/charging-network/value advantage of the Model Y is undeniable, so I'll probably just keep it and keep an eye out as the EV landscape evolves over the coming years.

The model y seats are just sitting on a platform, which eats into what could have been space in which to lower the seat even further. If I could just lower the model y seat another 3-5 inches, I would be able to achieve a correct seating position.

I really like almost everything else about this vehicle, but it's frustrating that it just doesn't fit me! And of course you might be saying "boo hoo why didn't you test drive it first?". Well, yeah, that's on me, I should have.

I've seen a product for other cars that is a thinner sliding rail, but that was for manual seats and only gained maybe an inch. If you really want to drive the Model Y you might look into having the seat platform professionally modified. Who knows, might actually be something under the carpet to make it really easy.

And, yep, you should have test driven :D

Reactions: richyrich and ehfz
What a sad tale. I can imagine your frustration with this.

I agree, a visual check by a qualified shop might...might be able to offer a modification solution, but it's not likely. It all depends on if the raised platform is integral to the floor strength, or if it's simply assembled in a manner that could be cut down. Probably too risky to attempt it.

So sorry to hear about your issues.

Reactions: ehfz
Why are you telling us this?
I think the OP's post is very useful, reminding us of the importance of a lengthy test ride, and that there's no perfect "one size fits all" seat in any vehicle.

I agree with CleanDemon: I've owned several different brands, and I love the MY seats for my 5'9", 200lb. torso. In fact, I will frequently retreat to my garage-parked MY for a quick power nap, seat back reclined, stretching my spine/neck. I love it. I wish my wife's 2019 Avalon Hybrid Limited seats were as comfortable...I'm looking to have padding put in the seat bottom.

I am 6'4" and find the Y to be very comfortable.
I am surprised that with 6'2" you say that you sit relatively close to the dash. Are your lags that short that you can't reach pedals or (this is what I assume) you just got used to the seating position from the past experience to keep a short distance from the body to the steeting wheel.

I notice sometimes drivers who sit veeeery close to the steering wheel, like within 1 foot between body and a steering wheel. And this is an incorrect seating position. Maybe it's something that you need to adjust?
With my 6'4", the steering wheel column setting extended to a max position, and the back of the seat tilted backward, aligned with a middle pillar. In this seating position, if I extend the arm and put it on the top of the steering wheel, it will be around my wrist area (or slightly closer to a palm). This is a considered correct distance from the body to the steering wheel.

By the way, you can additionally adjust the how high is your head by tilting the seat back. So ll kind of transition to a more "cinema couch" position rather than sitting straight (which is more relaxing by the way). So with shorter legs, you can pull the seat close enough so you can reach pedals, extend the steering column length to maximum, and then tilt the back of the seat backwards. And to balance this, you can tilt the seat itself backwards as well. So you ll seat almost like Formula 1 driver :D (just kidding)

Even in the really small previous cars, this trick always worked for me. Try it.

Last edited:
Here’s a photo of the seat risers in a Model Y. Since the Y and 3 share the same platform, perhaps these risers can be removed and the Model 3 mounts could be under those? Or the Y risers could be replaced with shorter risers from a 3?
Then add a cheap aftermarket memory foam seat cushion and you should be good to go!

1685812635404.jpeg

After having my model y for 5 months, I have to say that I unfortunately regret my purchase, because it's just not a good fit for me. And I mean that literally. For my body, the seat is not comfortable, and I can't achieve a comfortable driving position.

As I know others have discussed in other posts, for some people, me included, the seat bolsters are simply too narrow towards the rear, and it feels like I'm partially sitting on the bolsters themselves, which gives an uncomfortable feeling similar to as if I were sitting on a wallet in a back pocket. This leads to general discomfort and even a dull ache after time.

While it's less of a concern, I also find the back bolsters to be too narrow as well. These are less uncomfortable than the seat, but it adds to the feeling that the seat simply does not fit my body.

For those wondering, I'm 6'2" and 180lbs, and a lot of my height comes from a very long torso, and less so from leg length.

Which leads to the next problem. With relatively short legs, I sit relatively close to the dash. But with a long torso, my head ends up being very high up in the car. Even with the seat adjusted all the way down, I'm way too high up in the car. I have to duck down to see traffic lights. And if I keep a straight back and lean forwards, my forehead hits the headliner. I'm not entirely convinced that the airbag would actually protect my head in the event of a crash.

Now I get it, I have an atypical body shape, and I would have these issues in many other cars as well. The thing that irks me is that I've been driving a 2011 VW GTI for the past decade, and I've had no issues with seating position what-so-ever, and that's a significantly smaller car than the model y. The GTI allows me to lower the seat way lower than the model y. The model y seats are just sitting on a platform, which eats into what could have been space in which to lower the seat even further. If I could just lower the model y seat another 3-5 inches, I would be able to achieve a correct seating position.

I really like almost everything else about this vehicle, but it's frustrating that it just doesn't fit me! And of course you might be saying "boo hoo why didn't you test drive it first?". Well, yeah, that's on me, I should have. I test drove a Model 3 when it first came out and don't remember having either of these issues. When the Model Y price dropped, I jumped on it and ordered one off the lot within an hour of the announcement without a test drive as I was afraid they'd sell out quickly, thinking that the larger model Y would surely not have issues like this with it being a larger vehicle. But lesson learned; I always need to test drive vehicles going forward, and I learned that vehicle size is not always correlated to headroom, seat adjustment range, seat comfort, etc.

What am I going to do with the Model Y? I don't know yet, probably keep it and just suck it up. There isn't really any other EV that qualifies for the tax credit that I would actually want to own at this time. The price/powertrain/charging-network/value advantage of the Model Y is undeniable, so I'll probably just keep it and keep an eye out as the EV landscape evolves over the coming years.
It sounds super frustrating.
I've had a model 3 for over a year... LOVE the seat. Super comfy. My husband decided to buy a Y, but wanted to test drive.
We went to the service center, and he drove the car. He (6'3" / about 170lbs) said the test car seat was SUPER uncomfy, but my model 3 seat was very comfy. Obviously, they're the same seat. We scratched our heads. I sat in the test car seat..... (5'9" and big butt), and it felt terrible. I agreed completely.
He made the same complaint, that he felt like he was sitting on the side bolsters. We sat in my car again.... Not there! After a lot of troubleshooting, we determined that when the lumbar support is high, it makes you feel like that. We shifted the lumbar all the way down in the test car, and voila! it felt much better for both of us.
Maybe try that before throwing in the towel?

It sounds super frustrating.
I've had a model 3 for over a year... LOVE the seat. Super comfy. My husband decided to buy a Y, but wanted to test drive.
We went to the service center, and he drove the car. He (6'3" / about 170lbs) said the test car seat was SUPER uncomfy, but my model 3 seat was very comfy. Obviously, they're the same seat. We scratched our heads. I sat in the test car seat..... (5'9" and big butt), and it felt terrible. I agreed completely.
He made the same complaint, that he felt like he was sitting on the side bolsters. We sat in my car again.... Not there! After a lot of troubleshooting, we determined that when the lumbar support is high, it makes you feel like that. We shifted the lumbar all the way down in the test car, and voila! it felt much better for both of us.
Maybe try that before throwing in the towel?
Hmm, interesting idea. I tried lowering the lumber position and personally I did not find that the issue went away. That said, I can imagine how, if the lumber is all the way down, and out, that it could push you forward in the seat a bit. The narrow bolster narrows towards the back of the seat, so if you were pushed away from that narrowest part, I could see how it could help. That said, for me, having the lumbar support low and pushed out did not feel great on my back. Nice thinking though, appreciate you sharing!

I do this in every car that has the capability. Otherwise I feel like I'm sliding forward off the seat (which is part of why I hated driving my old F150, it couldn't do that).

It also shifts some of the seating pressure from your cheeks to your legs.
Yes, thanks, and to confirm, this is also how I (OP) have the seat set up. In general I always prefer my seats to be tilted back to alleviate back pressure (think zero-gravity chair style). That said, this does not solve my issue with the narrow bolstering towards the rear of the seat.

Here’s a photo of the seat risers in a Model Y. Since the Y and 3 share the same platform, perhaps these risers can be removed and the Model 3 mounts could be under those? Or the Y risers could be replaced with shorter risers from a 3?
Then add a cheap aftermarket memory foam seat cushion and you should be good to go!

View attachment 943593
my understanding from other threads is that this platform is structurally welded to the car and cannot be easily swapped out unfortunately (believe me I looked into it :) )

What a sad tale. I can imagine your frustration with this.

I agree, a visual check by a qualified shop might...might be able to offer a modification solution, but it's not likely. It all depends on if the raised platform is integral to the floor strength, or if it's simply assembled in a manner that could be cut down. Probably too risky to attempt it.

So sorry to hear about your issues.
DW had the same problem in my Mini, she found that a relatively thin cushion (3/4"?) that sat between the bolsters (making the seat less deep) solved the problem.
I have tried a couple of cushions and thought about bringing it to a shop for mods. The issue with both of these is that while it could help with the bottom seat discomfort, it also raises me up for at least an inch, which further compounds my issue with not being able to sit low enough in the car :) . And I've heard of some folks shaving off some of the bolster foam, but you have to be careful with this because there is metal not too far away from the bolsters and if you cut too much you feel metal instead...

It is very much a person by person situation. We've owned cars that I thought had comfortable seats, and my bride felt just the opposite. In fact, how we fit in every car we've ever owned has often been different. The MY felt comfortable to both of us on test drive, but we don't own one yet...

Reactions: ehfz