Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I regret my Model Y purchase because of seat comfort and seating position problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My only problem was the thigh support being two short .
I bought one of those extensions the support that it added to the
end of the seat wasn't high enough so I added a pillow from a zero
gravity chair and velcroed it on . Seems fine now . I am 6ft and
I have black seats and in combination with the glass roof they get to
hot in direct sunlight . I expected that doesn't happen much though.

Whatever the material is if feels soft and compliant enough .
I will say the BMW 10 way adjustable sport seats are the best
I have ever had.

We have 2 - 2023 Model Y’s. Mine is a 12/22 Freemont built and the wife’s is a 3/23 Austin built. I can’t get both car
seat positions the same settings. I seem to sit higher in my wife’s car even with the seat set fully lowest position.

Saying that the seats are both comfortable for my 6’ 250 lb torso. I do feel the side bolsters pushing on my hips on long drives. I wish the seats weee a little wider but they still are relatively comfortable.

I initially had neck pain with seats in both cars. The headrests were pushing my head forward and down. I bought some neck pillows from Amazon and they eliminated the neck pain. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BRJ3M8VZ/ The headrests were pushing my head down before the pillows. Now the headrests no longer bother me.

Not every seat fits every butt. I am 6'2" with horrible back and neck problems, and I find the Y seats very comfortable, much more so than the "22 way comfort" seats in my Beemer. Rather than diddle with trying to change the seats, I'd just get a car with seats that make you comfortable.

I have the same problem in the model 3 but have more head room to work with.

I completely understand the issue the OP is having. I have a similar body build and had great pain.

For others who don't understand. The body type having difficulties tend to have a larger bone structure, especially the hip width. They also tend to have a longer torso.
I've been approached by many Tesla owners with all models, from all over the world, having the same difficulties. This is no joke.

The problem is very real. I know several who sold their car due to the pain.

In my model 3, I was able to modify the seats. I love it now.

But if the individual is tall, especially in the upper body, there is a head room challenge as well.

The model Y has less headroom to work with than the model 3 because the model Y seat base is installed on platforms where the 3 is mounted flush to the floor.

On the model 3, I've replaced the OEM foam bottom with a more dense one from another car. It raises the individual's height.

For the OP, we have to reduce the bolster pain while minimizing the additional seat height.

I don't own a Y and I can't say if the mounts can safely be cut down. This would be challenging. Affixing the seat to the floor properly is a safety concern. With enough money and enough expertise anything is possible. But my assessment is that modifying the mounts would be difficult. It would involve professional cut down of the mounts and welding them to the lowest possible height. That might work. But a considerable challenge and risk. I'm certain people who regularly modify cars like for off road or track could readily do it. It's outside my capabilities at the moment and I wouldn't want to do that for any car but my own. I would take whatever risk is involved.

I looked into modifying the metal base and that is also risking seat integrity.

For this OP I would get a spacer between the springs and the bottom of the OEM foam bottom. Try to focus on the rear where the bolsters hurt most. Try only 1/4" at first. The material must resist compression.

You should try riding in the passenger seat first. The passenger seat has a seat sensor that effectively prevents the springs from sagging and adds possibly 1/4". Many have said they like the passenger seat better. If it works, then we can emulate the passenger seat with changes to the driver's seat.

I'll write more on this later.
I do find my passenger seat feels much better. What would I need to do to get that additional seat 1/4” on the driver seat?

I do find my passenger seat feels much better. What would I need to do to get that additional seat 1/4” on the driver seat?
There is an entire thread on this subject here in teslamotorsclub where one poster talks about installing some plastic material. I'll have to search for it again. But basically they are inserting a piece of material between the springs and the bottom of the seat foam. This will raise the entire seat bottom, say up to 1/4" or the thickness of the material that you inserted. The passenger seat has a different person in seat sensor and that stiffens the spring sag and adds thickness, or say raises the seat bottom. Try first sitting in the passenger seat for a time and for a ride. If you like it then you might be able to improve your seating by inserting a "spacer". Any non-crushing material will work for this. I add actual foam but you don't have to. You might be able to find something at a big box hardware store. Just be careful, there's a person-in-seat sensor wire that passes roughly in the middle. Personally, I would remove the seat bottom entirely to do this change. But in the thread they came up with all kinds of "complex" workarounds to avoid what I consider to be the easiest way to gain full access. I remove the four floor bolts, rock the entire seat assembly back, disconnect the two connectors that go to the seat bottom (only). Disconnect the clips holding the seat bottom to the metal seat frame. Now you have full access and you can custom install anything you wish. I've tried this already and it wasn't enough for me. I tried numerous approaches. I ended up rebuilding the seat bottom with different foam inside. But some can get away with this simpler mod. Maybe you can as well. I helped a guy in a model Y just a couple weeks ago. He's been driving around with the new seat build. He's tall but says he leans the upper back some anyway. The Y has less headroom to work with so it's all a tight fit to make such changes. I'm not finding the right discussion just now but here's one related discussion:

This might be the one that is more complete on the topic of adding a spacer. These are long threads but they cover many approaches including spacer approach:

6'2" 215 and I find my wife's '23 Y seats to be very comfortable. Sell a million cars, someone(s) will not be happy.
This is what I think. Just being larger won't necessarily mean we don't like the seats. Like in your case, you say they are "very comfortable" (is that on a multi hour drive in the driver's seat?). I measured the width of the seat bottom towards the rear, near the upper seat back. There's not that much room between the bolsters, which are thin foam and then metal. So I think what's the important factor is the width of the person's hip bone structure. My hips, and my entire body, is simply wider than most people. I don't fit in many tighter seats in restaurants, etc. So I know this to be true. When I sit in any of the newer Tesla's the seat at first is ok but after time, especially on a multi hour drive, my hip bones and thighs on the outside begin to hurt. We are all built differently. There simply isn't enough width for my larger bone structure. But You are absolutely correct. Many will think they are comfortable on multi hour drives but those smaller percentage of people with a wider bone structure might find it too narrow. That's me for sure. And some will find just a small change will be enough for them. I had to make a much larger change. Now I'm fine. Note the passenger seat is not designed and built the same as the driver's seat. The passenger seat is more forgiving for a larger built person.

This is what I think. Just being larger won't necessarily mean we don't like the seats. Like in your case, you say they are "very comfortable" (is that on a multi hour drive in the driver's seat?). I measured the width of the seat bottom towards the rear, near the upper seat back. There's not that much room between the bolsters, which are thin foam and then metal. So I think what's the important factor is the width of the person's hip bone structure. My hips, and my entire body, is simply wider than most people. I don't fit in many tighter seats in restaurants, etc. So I know this to be true. When I sit in any of the newer Tesla's the seat at first is ok but after time, especially on a multi hour drive, my hip bones and thighs on the outside begin to hurt. We are all built differently. There simply isn't enough width for my larger bone structure. But You are absolutely correct. Many will think they are comfortable on multi hour drives but those smaller percentage of people with a wider bone structure might find it too narrow. That's me for sure. And some will find just a small change will be enough for them. I had to make a much larger change. Now I'm fine. Note the passenger seat is not designed and built the same as the driver's seat. The passenger seat is more forgiving for a larger built person.
Longest trip to date has been 2x 800 mile/13 hour trip between fl and nc.

Longest trip to date has been 2x 800 mile/13 hour trip between fl and nc.
That's coincidental. My longest trip has been between FL and NC as well! I went mostly I 95 to the Durham area. And I live on the west coast of FL in Crystal River.
You are "lucky" that the seats are good for you. Sadly, I had to rebuild mine and that was a lot of exploration and work! I could/should have been doing something else. LOL.

Reactions: pipestem
After having my model y for 5 months, I have to say that I unfortunately regret my purchase, because it's just not a good fit for me. And I mean that literally. For my body, the seat is not comfortable, and I can't achieve a comfortable driving position.

As I know others have discussed in other posts, for some people, me included, the seat bolsters are simply too narrow towards the rear, and it feels like I'm partially sitting on the bolsters themselves, which gives an uncomfortable feeling similar to as if I were sitting on a wallet in a back pocket. This leads to general discomfort and even a dull ache after time.

While it's less of a concern, I also find the back bolsters to be too narrow as well. These are less uncomfortable than the seat, but it adds to the feeling that the seat simply does not fit my body.

For those wondering, I'm 6'2" and 180lbs, and a lot of my height comes from a very long torso, and less so from leg length.

Which leads to the next problem. With relatively short legs, I sit relatively close to the dash. But with a long torso, my head ends up being very high up in the car. Even with the seat adjusted all the way down, I'm way too high up in the car. I have to duck down to see traffic lights. And if I keep a straight back and lean forwards, my forehead hits the headliner. I'm not entirely convinced that the airbag would actually protect my head in the event of a crash.

Now I get it, I have an atypical body shape, and I would have these issues in many other cars as well. The thing that irks me is that I've been driving a 2011 VW GTI for the past decade, and I've had no issues with seating position what-so-ever, and that's a significantly smaller car than the model y. The GTI allows me to lower the seat way lower than the model y. The model y seats are just sitting on a platform, which eats into what could have been space in which to lower the seat even further. If I could just lower the model y seat another 3-5 inches, I would be able to achieve a correct seating position.

I really like almost everything else about this vehicle, but it's frustrating that it just doesn't fit me! And of course you might be saying "boo hoo why didn't you test drive it first?". Well, yeah, that's on me, I should have. I test drove a Model 3 when it first came out and don't remember having either of these issues. When the Model Y price dropped, I jumped on it and ordered one off the lot within an hour of the announcement without a test drive as I was afraid they'd sell out quickly, thinking that the larger model Y would surely not have issues like this with it being a larger vehicle. But lesson learned; I always need to test drive vehicles going forward, and I learned that vehicle size is not always correlated to headroom, seat adjustment range, seat comfort, etc.

What am I going to do with the Model Y? I don't know yet, probably keep it and just suck it up. There isn't really any other EV that qualifies for the tax credit that I would actually want to own at this time. The price/powertrain/charging-network/value advantage of the Model Y is undeniable, so I'll probably just keep it and keep an eye out as the EV landscape evolves over the coming years.

I have a 2023 Y RWD. I have to say this is the worst seat from all cars I owned. The passenger side seat is far more comfortable. I point the problem to the lumbar support system in the driver seat. It is true, when lumbar support is in lower position, the seat feels better.
The passenger seat has no lumbar support. Actually you can see the driver seat has a sort of bump in the lower middle side, which is not on the passenger seat.
I was wandering if possible to replace the driver seat with a passenger seat without lumbar support? It should be a seat from a country with the opposite driving side, to keep the airbag between seats
Anybody knows the cost of a passenger seat, in UK for instance?
Removing lumbar is very easy, you do not need to replace the seat. The seats without lumbar still have the lumbar frame, they just have the pump and inflatable cushions removed. It is interesting that you notice a difference between full deflate on lumbar and 'no lumbar' on the passenger side as you're really talking about a millimeter or two of padding at the most, like sitting on a fully deflated beach ball.

Follow my directions for retrofit in reverse, you don't even have to buy parts, once you remove the yellow frame (hardest part is detaching the headrest) you can remove the pump and cushion components. Or you can find a bare frame on ebay to install.

Sorry you are having back pain. Do you still own the car?

We have had a YP for about a year. I hate it and my wife loves it. I'm 6-3 and she's 5-7. Maybe it's because the seat is on stilts, but I just cannot get comfortable in the vehicle, although I'm not experiencing pain thankfully.

Sorry you are having back pain. Do you still own the car?

We have had a YP for about a year. I hate it and my wife loves it. I'm 6-3 and she's 5-7. Maybe it's because the seat is on stilts, but I just cannot get comfortable in the vehicle, although I'm not experiencing pain thankfully.
I used a Basnor seat adaptor but had to put this zero g pillow on it to get support
out to my kneepits and it works really well . I am 5' 11' . I can almost get the BMW sport seat settings I have in my other car. Stretched out and with the seat in the low setting.

Attachments

• superReduced.jpg
    superReduced.jpg
    417 KB · Views: 42
"If I could just lower the model y seat another 3-5 inches, I would be able to achieve a correct seating position. "

Bingo. Thank you for this thread, dead on ballz accurate.

I loved my wife's Model 3 way more than I expected so wanted to go EV with something bigger, so fell in love with the Y on paper. My first test drive I felt ...awkward. I have typical European heritage, tall torso (5'11", 28" inseam). The rear view mirror seemed like it was smack in middle of windshield for me.

German cars (BMW, Audi) have always fit great because the seat pans lower way down. For those who recommend reclining the Y, people with short legs seldom have long arms...just saying.

The Y Seat felt vague pressure under my thighs like it would put my legs to sleep on a long drive. After research, found this thread then took a 2nd drive just to be sure. If I could lower the seat 4", I could see underneath the rearview mirror and it would relieve the slight pressure under my thighs...would be pretty perfect.

I am debating whether to wait and hope the Model Y refresh addresses these concerns or just lease a 3 (which is remarkably comfortable seating position) and reevaluate in 3 years.

The Polestar 2 was great except for the dang center console hitting my right leg...don't know what they were thinking.

Bingo. Thank you for this thread, dead on ballz accurate.

I loved my wife's Model 3 way more than I expected so wanted to go EV with something bigger, so fell in love with the Y on paper. My first test drive I felt ...awkward. I have typical European heritage, tall torso (5'11", 28" inseam). The rear view mirror seemed like it was smack in middle of windshield for me.

German cars (BMW, Audi) have always fit great because the seat pans lower way down. For those who recommend reclining the Y, people with short legs seldom have long arms...just saying.

The Y Seat felt vague pressure under my thighs like it would put my legs to sleep on a long drive. After research, found this thread then took a 2nd drive just to be sure. If I could lower the seat 4", I could see underneath the rearview mirror and it would relieve the slight pressure under my thighs...would be pretty perfect.

I am debating whether to wait and hope the Model Y refresh addresses these concerns or just lease a 3 (which is remarkably comfortable seating position) and reevaluate in 3 years.

The Polestar 2 was great except for the dang center console hitting my right leg...don't know what they were thinking.

So you test drove the Y, knew the seating and positioning felt awkward but bought it anyway?

Had a 23 M3 RWD black seats for a whole year, no issues with seats. Traded it in for a new 24 MY RWD white seats, worst seat I’ve sat on (both driver and passenger). Back pain, butt pain, leg pain. I’m 5’11 195. Wifey is smaller, same complaints. Tried different positions, still no improvement. Have you guys been reporting it to Tesla? Any service appts? Any hope?

• Informative
Reactions: Georgesb2