Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I regret my Model Y purchase because of seat comfort and seating position problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a 23 M3 RWD black seats for a whole year, no issues with seats. Traded it in for a new 24 MY RWD white seats, worst seat I’ve sat on (both driver and passenger). Back pain, butt pain, leg pain. I’m 5’11 195. Wifey is smaller, same complaints. Tried different positions, still no improvement. Have you guys been reporting it to Tesla? Any service appts? Any hope?
My understanding is they are exactly the same seats except for color and the Y's being mounted 6" above the floor.

Reactions: tangible1
Had a 23 M3 RWD black seats for a whole year, no issues with seats. Traded it in for a new 24 MY RWD white seats, worst seat I’ve sat on (both driver and passenger). Back pain, butt pain, leg pain. I’m 5’11 195. Wifey is smaller, same complaints. Tried different positions, still no improvement. Have you guys been reporting it to Tesla? Any service appts? Any hope?
I rebuild Tesla seats, I've done it for myself and helped a few others. I've not seen the 24 but via videos I learned they completely redesigned the seats for 24. I believe they tried to make them more "snug". My guess is that they made the previous problems worse. That's terrible. I have no access to a 24 seat, so I haven't been able to experiment with them. My solution to the M3 before 24 was to basically build the foam up to get our buttocks up high enough that the metal frame isn't killing us on the hips and sides of the legs, towards the back. The upper seat back I changed as well. I bent the headrest back, removed the OEM lumbar support, inserted foam blocks for my own lumbar and another to "flatten out" the middle / upper part for my back and shoulder room.

Reactions: pipestem
My 2024 Model Y is a week old and the bottom seat is causing me much pain. When I test drove the car, seat comfort was superb and a main deciding factor to purchase. When I sat in my brand new car, I noticed the bottom seat was much harder than the test drive and figured it needed to break in a bit. Driving around town is not super comfy like the test model, but okay. Yesterday I took a 1.5 hr drive to work and 1.5 hr home and after my bum was super painful, it was uncomfortable to stand or walk. Has anyone else experienced this? Will the seat get better after this first week? Super bummed out...otherwise love the car.

I have a 23 MY LR with white seats. I'm 6'-0", 230 lbs. and I find the seats comfortable. Probably just as comfortable as any other car I've owned.

Reactions: pipestem
While I had better seats, the Tesla seats aren't bad. Could do a bit more thigh support. Honestly it felt no better (nor worse) than a minivan or a domestic SUV seat. It's comfortable enough. The lumbar support feels non-existent despite me fiddling with the knob.

We have 2 2023 Model Ys. Only differences are my wife’s is an Austin built with 19” Gemini wheels. Mine is a Freemont built with 20” wheels. I can’t find a way to match the seating positions on both cars. I’m the most comfortable in mine but I can’t get comfortable in my wife’s. It seems like I sit higher in hers no matter where I position the seat. Plus the side bolsters on both push against my hips almost like I have my wallet in my back pocket, which I don’t. Maybe my butt is too wide for the seats. I’m 6’ 245 lbs with a 42” belt size. Not a small guy.

I was surprised to find how narrow the seat bottom bolsters are. I too, am 6'2" and 180, and have a skinny bottom and waist (32"). The bolstering isn't wide enough for me, and certainly not for my wife (6'1" 145 lbs). With 80% of the US population being overweight or obese, I'm surprised the seats were designed for such svelte proportions.

They aren't uncomfortable to me, though I haven't driven more than 30 minutes yet.

We have 2 2023 Model Ys. Only differences are my wife’s is an Austin built with 19” Gemini wheels. Mine is a Freemont built with 20” wheels. I can’t find a way to match the seating positions on both cars. I’m the most comfortable in mine but I can’t get comfortable in my wife’s. It seems like I sit higher in hers no matter where I position the seat. Plus the side bolsters on both push against my hips almost like I have my wallet in my back pocket, which I don’t. Maybe my butt is too wide for the seats. I’m 6’ 245 lbs with a 42” belt size. Not a small guy.
It's OK to say you are obese, like me. :D

• Funny
Reactions: BroncoAZ
Sorry to hear. I’m 6’, 260 pounds (big guy) and it’s literally the most comfortable seat I’ve ever had in a car. Agree with others up top - maybe look to have the platform lowered?
well, I am 5'-8" and 215 lbs.......I too can not find a "sweet spot" for either the bottom seat or the backrest......The bottom is too short and cuts into my legs....The back rest seems to have a "bubble" in the small of my back and I cant seem to get it to move a=in any direction....Even using the smiths for lumbar support can not make it go away.....

I rebuild Tesla seats, I've done it for myself and helped a few others. I've not seen the 24 but via videos I learned they completely redesigned the seats for 24. I believe they tried to make them more "snug". My guess is that they made the previous problems worse. That's terrible. I have no access to a 24 seat, so I haven't been able to experiment with them. My solution to the M3 before 24 was to basically build the foam up to get our buttocks up high enough that the metal frame isn't killing us on the hips and sides of the legs, towards the back. The upper seat back I changed as well. I bent the headrest back, removed the OEM lumbar support, inserted foam blocks for my own lumbar and another to "flatten out" the middle / upper part for my back and shoulder room.
We shouldn't have to 'rebuild' a seat on a new $50-60k car. 2000 miles on my '24 Y and I'm not sure I can live with this car solely due to the seat. Everyday I drive, I'm experience neck, back and shoulder pain. most seats of any car I've ever owned (I'm 58). 6'2" 240 lbs

I just got my 24 Tesla Y - love the car - HATE the driver seat. When I drive I get stiff neck, shoulders and sore back. 6'2" and 240lbs the lumbar support is too low. no upper back support and the non-adjustable head rest pushes my head uncomfortable forward. I've never had a problem like this in other cards I've driven. I think I need to give my car back to Tesla. Not sure show long I can stand this. Anyone else have this problem? Any solutions?

I think the design is defective. Worst driver seat I've ever driven.

Then you likely need to sell the car and buy a different one, since there is nothing that Tesla is going to fix because you cant get comfortable in the seat.

This type of thing (people being uncomfortable in the seat of a specific brand of car) is actually fairly common, one because we are all snowflakes (meaning we are all "1 of 1" and different from each other), and two because some people have a hard time adjusting seats to make them comfortable for themselves.

I think I need to give my car back to Tesla. Not sure show long I can stand this.

I have zero idea what you mean here, as there is no "give my car back to Tesla". If you mean " I think I need to sell my car at whatever the market will bear, taking a loss on it, and moving on" then I know exactly what you mean. If you think you can simply return the car like its a loaf of bread, that isnt a thing.