Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you think Tesla will bring back Sunroof option again this year 2019?

When will Panoramic Roof/Sunroof come back for Model S?

• This year 2019

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Next year 2020

Votes: 15 19.0%
  • Year 2021

Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Never...

Votes: 49 62.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If there was a Raven with Pano Roof right now, I would probably have upgraded my S already.

I bet potential sales from many existing Model S customers are affected by the lack of a sunroof. Wish they would redesign it and offer it again as an option. We use ours all the time and love it and wouldn't want another Model S without a sunroof.

Did anyone ever see an official reason why they discontinued it? It could have been to reduce parts, because of excessive failures/warranty issues, poor design, safety concerns (roof not strong enough to meet future rollover regs), impact on miles/charge, ???...

Sure would be nice to know.

My Pano roof has been reliable for 6.5 years and 126K miles.

Our pano roof works just fine as well *knock on wood!*

Moreover, the panorama roof is one of my favorite things about the car other than it being electric. It is massive and love how how it opens up the interior with light and fresh air.

If they offered to swap my car for a bran new Raven without a sunroof at no extra cost, I would reject that offer. I like the sunroof that match. I bet many existing owners are not so excited about trading in their cars for a newer Model S without a sunroof as well.

What a shame you can no longer get a sunroof with a Model S. I get the argument about reducing complexity but shouldn't customers have some reasonable choises?

The falcon wing doors are several magnitudes more complex than a sunroof so a reliable sunroof should be comparatively easier to engineer. I've had a Model S with a glass roof as a loaner and didn't like how dark the tint was with no way to open it.

I heard Rivian is going to offer 3 different roof options. I hope the sunroof returns as an option for the Model S. It will make many potential buyers very happy!

Rivian teases multiple roof options for R1T pickup truck and R1S SUV

Last edited:
They couldn't figure out how to build a reliable sunroof and just gave up on it.
Yes, ours had a lot of problems and the mechanics said they were problematic in general.
Other cars we've owned with various forms of sunroof had no issues with them at all, so I don't think they're beyond current automotive technology.
My guess though is that Tesla is just simplifying their production lines as much as possible to make the build cost less.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Yes, ours had a lot of problems and the mechanics said they were problematic in general.
Other cars we've owned with various forms of sunroof had no issues with them at all, so I don't think they're beyond current automotive technology.
My guess though is that Tesla is just simplifying their production lines as much as possible to make the build cost less.

What problems did yours have?

Not sure how this works out though if it costs them a significant amount of sales.

I realize the Model S is not getting an update in the near future but I wish they didn't diminish the design by removing the sunroof.

I just don't understand how they can;t fix sunroof problems if they can build a functioning falcon wing door.

Reliable sunroofs are a solved engineering problem.

We can;t imagine buying a car without a functioning sunroof.

The lack of a sunroof is sadly saddling Model S sales.

I was curious what issues you have had with yours. I have the sunroof on my 2017 and it has been flawless so far. I wish they’d bring it back too. I’d order it again.

Mine has had different noises/rattles and leaked water during/after hard rain. Even after it has been “fixed”.

Thankfully it’s been quiet for the last ~6 months when they last worked on it, but it still lets a little water in on occasion. Worst is if I’m parked facing downhill in the rain.

• Informative
I was slightly disappointed that there wasn't a sunroof option when I ordered my Raven car, but that said, it's probably for the best. The Model S sunroof has never been perfect, and there were a couple issues with my old one over the years. I did use it whenever I could, but in WI that's the spring and the fall; everything else is too cold or too hot to have it open. My new car is quieter, has much cleaner lines on the roof, and an amazing view from the back seat (consolation for not getting to ride in the front). Since I intend to keep the car for some time, having fewer issues 2 hours away from a service center is a good thing.

Won't consider a new S without a pano roof.
Funny to me that people who don't feel this way think dropping it is ok. Whether you like/want the pano or not the S *IS NOT COMPETITIVE WITHOUT IT*

I don;t get this as well, when it could just be an OPTION. When it was an option, the majority of people selected it so even if some had problems with their sunroofs that were fixed by Service, they paid extra to cover some of those expenses.

Did anyone ever see an official reason why they discontinued it? It could have been to reduce parts, because of excessive failures/warranty issues, poor design, safety concerns (roof not strong enough to meet future rollover regs), impact on miles/charge, ???...

Sure would be nice to know.

My guess is cost cutting measures. Any time features are removed it's to homogenize the assembly process. Not having to differentiate design allows for cheaper and more efficient construction. This is why things like rear facing seats and the sunroof were removed (two things I am extremely lucky to have in my 2019 BTW).

My guess is cost cutting measures. Any time features are removed it's to homogenize the assembly process. Not having to differentiate design allows for cheaper and more efficient construction. This is why things like rear facing seats and the sunroof were removed (two things I am extremely lucky to have in my 2019 BTW).

True. But with the FUSC back, Model S sale is dropping now for certain. Simply bringing pano roof back should enhance the sales.

I remember the data before that almost 80% of the Model S owners chose to get pano roof. That number tells something.

It's not like Tesla has to start from scratch to create pano roof. They just need to ameliorate what is already existing engineering design.

Besides, pano roofs are not given free. If the cost issue, then they can charge more. I bet some people are willing to pay even $5K for it, including myself too.

This makes me want Model S less, but I don't want two Model X's. I don't like Model Y for the lack of panoramic windshield and FWD. Roadster 2020 seems far away from being produced, I am not sure what will replace my Model S.