Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I want winter tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I lived in Allentown for 6 years, and always put on snow tires (including on my all wheel drive vehicles). I've driven the in warm weather, I wouldn't worry one bit about it, just don't expect them to perform like an all season, or anything like a summer. I will continue putting snow tires on even with my P85D.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll add that no matter how good of a winter driver you are, if something unexpected happens, like a deer running in front of your car, or a child running out into the road, winter tires will stop you faster than an all season, period. No amount of experience can make up for that.

I just had my first experience driving the Model S in snow without my winter tires on yet. We don't have much snow at all (less than 1 inch) but it's enough to make driving very uncomfortable.

I posted it in this thread:
Winter roads and no winter tires yet ... crazy

Here's the copy and paste:

I woke up to about 2cm of snow covering my driveway and all the roads in Port Perry this morning. Took the car out to the gym and BOY was that a surprise for me. I get my winter tires installed this Wednesday in Toronto so I'm hoping to feel a huge difference.

As soon as I backed out of my driveway and put the car into drive, I noticed immediately that I could hardly accelerate at all, and the dash traction control warning light flickered constantly as the car tried to bite into the road.

On the way back home I turned onto my (still snow covered) street and slowing down PURELY via regenerative braking resulted in the car's back and wanting to slide out slightly.

There isn't much snow, but it's super slippery so I guess that's all that matters.

What have the rest of you experienced in winter conditions so far? Got those snow tires on yet?

I live near Pittsburgh, and I have a steep driveway that even my Model S would slip on, when icy with the 19" Goodyear RSA2s. I do use a second set of snow tires/wheels, for that alone. It might be overkill, but I grew up in Syracuse where snows were a must. You can't go wrong with the Michelin Xi3s or the Nokian Hakkapeliita R2s. And Tsportline makes a great 19" rim, the TST, in three colors. The Greys hide road dirt incredibly well.

Lots of good feedback and insight going on ! Looks like the OP's questions were covered really well.

Having dedicated (cold weather) only tires is a luxury that not many can justify, but I can only say that once you have used them there is no going back. All season tires offer the compromise of good (but not great) traction for everyday driving with a serviceable amount of traction in cold weather and light snow. Dedicated snow tires are much better in icy situations, to be sure but they do not make you invincible; I slid through an intersection just yesterday in my Blizzak equipped 4x4 Jeep. Why? because I was overconfident and not driving with a deference to the road conditions.

In the end, you have to look at what you local weather patterns throw at you and combine that with what your realistic expectations of use are going to be; if temperatures seldom get above the 40's during your winter, a dedicated snow tire can offer you noticeably enhanced traction with an average of three or four winter's worth of expected life. If temperatures vary, snow tires will still be a value as long as you are OK with the tires having a shorter life cycle and recognize that handling will be compromised in warmer weather.

Life is full of compromises, tires are the same. I'm grateful that members of this board can be counted on to provide a great variety of view points and constructive advice !

Last edited:
Lots of good feedback and insight going on ! Looks like the OP's questions were covered really well.

Quick question for you, Doc.

I don't even have my P85D yet, and I am going with the Tesla winter set up (rims and tires) for now, but I did take a look at Tire Rack, and unless I am missing something, you guys don't sell the Nokian Hakkapeliita R2s that everyone raves about, and I'm wondering why. At some point I will be replacing the winter tires I'm getting now, and from what I've read, I was leaning towards those. I've bought tires from Tire Rack before, so I was disappointed to see that you didn't carry them. Or did I somehow miss something?

Thanks!

That must be the company I was referring to above, that someone had mentioned in another thread. Glad I'm not losing my mind.

Sorry for the misinformation. I tried to order Nokian's online and was told that it wasn't authorized. This is from a store with one brick and mortar location, but that is primarily an online seller. I even tried to talk them into it over the phone, but they said Nokian's policy was strict (probably in order to protect local distributor oligopolies). I guess it depends on markets, as I am not in the USA.

nAtOyEe.jpg

But that does bring us back to my original question: why doesn't TireRack sell the Nokians?

Don't know, but my speculations are (no particular order): 1. Tiresbyweb.com (formerly tirefactory.net) has been selling Nokians online for years so perhaps they have an exclusive for online sales. 2. Not enough markup. 3. Some other reason.

I've now driven my own Model S in the snow and a loaner P85. Both with all season tires. It was a total disaster. Then I returned the loaner because Tesla had just finished installing my winter tire package. Snow covered roads in Toronto that were a disaster for me when returning the loaner suddenly became EASY and FUN to drive on.

Get the winter tires. The Tesla package apparently isn't even for the best rated tire. But it's SO much better than all season Michelin Primacy tires that came with my car. I'm loving the winter driving now. So easy. And yesterday was a big snow storm for us.

Off to shovel the driveway ...

I've now driven my own Model S in the snow and a loaner P85. Both with all season tires. It was a total disaster. Then I returned the loaner because Tesla had just finished installing my winter tire package. Snow covered roads in Toronto that were a disaster for me when returning the loaner suddenly became EASY and FUN to drive on.

Get the winter tires. The Tesla package apparently isn't even for the best rated tire.

These are the Pirelli Sottozero 3 tires, right? There is also a Sottozero series II, and I haven't been able to find anywhere on Tesla's site, including the accessory store, where they specifically state the model of Sottozero included with the package. I have purchased the package with my P85D, and want to make sure I know which tires I'm getting. Thanks!

FrozenCanuck, I too would be interested in whether these are SottoZero II or 3 tires. There's a definite difference between the two. It should show clearly on the sidewall the version of this tire. (Those of us with water wheel/tire package on order from tesla are curious.)

Thanks!

Here's the response I got from my DS regarding Tesla Winter Tires:

Winter Wheels/Tires

The 19” Winter Tire Set comes with Pirelli Sottozero II. This is the tire that Tesla has tested with the 19” wheel and it has passed our requirements. If you would like the Sottozero III you can absolutely purchase them elsewhere, but we cannot install them on your wheels.

No problem at all.

But that does bring us back to my original question: why doesn't TireRack sell the Nokians?

My understanding is that there are "Distribution Agreements" already in place that prevent any new partnerships. I can't blame them for trying to protect their existing distributors, as I'd like to think we could sell a few tires if we had them ....