Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disney's current position regarding electric chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are doing a trip do Disney this fall from Toronto, from what I could see there is a Supercharger very close by, not as ideal as if they had one but more then enough for me.
The Turkey Lake supercharger is in a rest stop on the Florida Turnpike just north of I4. The rest stop has several fast food places and restrooms. Note that most of the food places close at 8:30 pm.
We are Disney annual pass holders so we go quite frequently. We usually do day trips and it is 120 miles from our house to Disney. So I need a few extra miles of charge to get home. It is much more convenient for me to charge while in the parks than hit a Supercharger on the way home. It usually costs me 10-11 dollars which I consider well worth the convenience. I also feel like I am supporting Chargepoint for having installed chargers at the parks.
I can understand why they would not be as useful if you were coming in from out of town and staying in Orlando. Elseware in this thread there is discussion regarding the lack of chargers at Disney resort properties.

The Turkey Lake supercharger is in a rest stop on the Florida Turnpike just north of I4. The rest stop has several fast food places and restrooms. Note that most of the food places close at 8:30 pm.
We are Disney annual pass holders so we go quite frequently. We usually do day trips and it is 120 miles from our house to Disney. So I need a few extra miles of charge to get home. It is much more convenient for me to charge while in the parks than hit a Supercharger on the way home. It usually costs me 10-11 dollars which I consider well worth the convenience. I also feel like I am supporting Chargepoint for having installed chargers at the parks.
I can understand why they would not be as useful if you were coming in from out of town and staying in Orlando. Elseware in this thread there is discussion regarding the lack of chargers at Disney resort properties.
Good to know, I have not seen any info on chargers there! are they clearly marked?

If you are staying on property scope out your hotel parking lot. I have found 110 outlets everytime I have gone to Disney (always a NEMA 15-20). Look around the AC units. It's code there has to be an outlet next to them. Since you are there a few days and don't need to use your car just let it sip on the 5mph charge and you'll be "topped off" before you know it. Just don't run your cord across a sidewalk and nobody will care. The Four Seasons hotel has a 110 outlet right at Valet and they'll let you keep your car there and charge while at hotel. The Hilton and Waldorf have a couple J1772 chargers as well. Not sure where you are staying but there are plenty of free options. No need to pay if you don't need to. And as you mentioned the Superchargers aren't too far away.

Or, if you're staying off property, you can rent my vacation home with an HPWC in the garage :cool:

Had I seen this post earlier. I'm booked for an AirBnB home in Kissimmee. Driving down tomorrow (Hurricane Hermine and I should reach the Savannah Supercharger at the same time). I had planned to make sure I stop at Turkey Lake on the way there, so I likely do that and figure it out once I get to Kissimmee.

Hi guys,
I did not read this whole thread. I did read the last few posts related to Disneyworld and other Disney properties.
I was at Disneyland today. They now have 60 (yes, 60) ChargePoint stations. Lower level, and not anymore convenient parking spots than anywhere else. When I arrived at 8:30am today, about 40 were still available. All were taken by late afternoon, and everyone was plugged in (not sure how many were actually charging).

Hi guys,
I did not read this whole thread. I did read the last few posts related to Disneyworld and other Disney properties.
I was at Disneyland today. They now have 60 (yes, 60) ChargePoint stations. Lower level, and not anymore convenient parking spots than anywhere else. When I arrived at 8:30am today, about 40 were still available. All were taken by late afternoon, and everyone was plugged in (not sure how many were actually charging).
Looking at the ChargePoint location map, it shows 64 stations there. That's pretty substantial. I wonder if any other property owner has that many. Even so, still not enough.

Earlier this year, I had plugged into the ChargePoint chargers in the south Downtown Disney lot (closest to the Disneyland Hotel's Frontier Tower) and I remember it telling me they had a $1 fee for hooking up which I believe was in addition to the kWh cost. Oddly, those stalls aren't even referenced on their app.

Looking at the ChargePoint location map, it shows 64 stations there. That's pretty substantial. I wonder if any other property owner has that many. Even so, still not enough.

Earlier this year, I had plugged into the ChargePoint chargers in the south Downtown Disney lot (closest to the Disneyland Hotel's Frontier Tower) and I remember it telling me they had a $1 fee for hooking up which I believe was in addition to the kWh cost. Oddly, those stalls aren't even referenced on their app.

You guys talking about Disneyland (CA) or Disney World (FL)?

this is great news for those of you in CA, however it really has little to do with disneyworld in FLORIDA which doesn't seem to be on the same page as the one in CA.
I would hope that Disneyland's recent major expansion would portend well for them expanding this to other parks. After all, all 64 spots were taken. Disney will notice that.