Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did they make v10 UI better for Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
100% agree with this considering for the P spec cars we are also told NOT to launch hard with the suspension set high, it is a pain to dive deep in to menus to check where the car has decided what level it wants to be at.

I'm starting to think the software team never drive these cars day in day out to get a feel for the difference between what works sitting at a desk vs trying to navigate through layers of menus at highway speeds.

Wait, are you saying v9 no longer tells your which of the 4 suspension levels you're on???????

View attachment 459945

He’s just saying you can pay for it. He doesn't say you will actually receive it. He’s an evil genius no doubt.
You obviously don't know how to read Elon and/or Tesla fine prints. Of course you can BOTH pay and get an MCU2 upgrade. The cost is the price of a new car minus the trade-in value of yours, plus taxes and registration of course. As a hidden bonus, absolutely free and totally included with your MCU upgrade, you'll get AP3 hardware upgrade included in this price too, and can even upgrade to a new color, if you'd like a change. Elon never said how much MCU2 upgrade costs, only that it's available and you can get it any time you are ready.

I don't have v10 yet, but from what I read, there is absolutely nothing in v10 that I, or my wife, would care about. Not even better UI, still apparently they are sticking to the v9 UI designed by web app developers. To be honest, I don't really get what the point is - adding screen mirroring would add all latest phone features to the car. Is it that Elon likes to do it the hard way, and feels the need to reinvent everything? Or is v10 just a major distraction from the fact they Elon is nowhere near the FSD promises he made 3 years ago.

for the P spec cars we are also told NOT to launch hard with the suspension set high, it is a pain to dive deep in to menus to check where the car has decided what level it wants to be at.

The car will only ever automatically take you to Standard or Low. Unless you have SAS locations memorized that can take you to High or Very High. But why would you be launching from those places?

Wait, are you saying v9 no longer tells your which of the 4 suspension levels you're on??

Yes, you can tell what level you are at still. The only thing that has changed on newer cars is that instead of setting a speed for automatic lowering, now it's just "Highway".

Same here. I have the rear door handle fuse and drivers seat connector unplugged to force the update to fail. Still happily on v8.
If you want to prevent updates, connect to a wifi access point then don't turn that access point on ever again. In my case I used one of many spares I had lying around from upgrades I'd made over the years, though you could probably just as easily use the hotspot on your phone - just change the hotspot name and password after connecting your tesla to it. You might get prompted a few times initially but it does eventually stop. I haven't been asked to upgrade in months and haven't allowed an upgrade in over a year at this point. Other car features continue to work with 4G, but it doesn't bug you about connecting to wifi if you just have *something* configured even if it never connects.

• Informative
Reactions: am_dmd and PrGrPa
If you want to prevent updates, connect to a wifi access point then don't turn that access point on ever again. In my case I used one of many spares I had lying around from upgrades I'd made over the years, though you could probably just as easily use the hotspot on your phone - just change the hotspot name and password after connecting your tesla to it. You might get prompted a few times initially but it does eventually stop. I haven't been asked to upgrade in months and haven't allowed an upgrade in over a year at this point. Other car features continue to work with 4G, but it doesn't bug you about connecting to wifi if you just have *something* configured even if it never connects.
That's so sad.

Actually that won't work. It will still download updates over 4g.

But I did do something similar for months and that was to keep the car connected to my verizion hotspot with the sim card removed. Although Tesla will download updates on 4g while parked, they won't while driving and since the car disconnects from wifi when you go from park to drive, it was pretty convenient to keep it connected to a null wifi hotspot while parked. The problem is that for months I couldn't use the app to do anything since the car was always offline when parked.

Since the rear door handles are rarely used, it's more convenient to leave that fuse out except for the rare cases I have passengers in the rear.

Supposedly either the seat connector or the fuse for the rear handles will prevent updates from installing, I'm playing it safer and just leaving both off. The last two updates that downloaded failed to install and eventually destaged using this latest method.

• Informative
Reactions: PrGrPa

Because instead of improving the car with updates over time, Tesla has made it worse with each major update. As a guy who likes to get the latest and greatest features on his OTA devices, my Tesla is the one OTA updatable device that I'm desperate to never have updated again.

I live in fear that if I have any major failure requiring service that I'll have to take the car in and be forced to v9 at which point not only will I suffer all the issues that v9 has in the UI and usability but I'll probably lose a ton of range due to the software capping that is happening to older 85's.

I rather liked many of the V9 changes in the UI. Being able to map the suspension to the right scroll wheel would be handy though.

compared to the UI on my SO’s Model 3 the Model S UI is not as easy to use. The generational differences are apparent in the hardware and software.

Getting into my Model S after being in the Model 3 is slightly weird. The Model S is pretty minimalist, but feels enclosed and slightly cluttered at first. And looking down at the screen rather than across as well as having that huge dash binnacle in front of the big steering wheel takes a moment to get used to. And after a few moments all that passes and I’m reminded that both cars are pretty good in their different ways.

Actually that won't work. It will still download updates over 4g.
So I've heard, but the only time an update might have ever been downloaded was at the service center, where you can't disable the wifi from connecting. And you can still refuse in the off chance you do get an update and it will eventually stop asking.

Anecdote: I'm still at 2018.42.2.

I was only presenting an alternative that has been working for me that doesn't involve disabling doors or seats or whatever in your car. Use it or don't, it's up to you.

Yes, you can tell what level you are at still. The only thing that has changed on newer cars is that instead of setting a speed for automatic lowering, now it's just "Highway".
Does it at least allow storeing auto lower locations, or are we stuck with Tesla's interpretation of what a highway is, because Elon always knows better than the driver when the car should go low?

• Funny
Reactions: Droschke
So I've heard, but the only time an update might have ever been downloaded was at the service center, where you can't disable the wifi from connecting. And you can still refuse in the off chance you do get an update and it will eventually stop asking.

You've missed the threads reporting that Tesla is now force updating you even if you decline the update otherwise I wouldn't have jumped through all the hoops to prevent the having the update downloaded in the first place.

I haven't looked with the latest version, but it's there fairly prominently in V9.

You can tell from the top-level screen what level the suspension is at?

You can adjust the suspension height from the top-level screen? How many touches of the screen does it take to get to the suspension height adjustment?

If I'm approaching a driveway or monster speed bump, I don't want to stop, hit the car icon, look for the (I can't remember which menu has suspension) then hit the raise suspension button, then after I've gone over the obstruction, I don't want to do the same damned thing to lower it again, or worse, drive around for 20 miles with it raised.

The SAS UI is terrible.

• Helpful
Reactions: whitex and croman