Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Destination Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla seems reluctant to provide HPWC to private golf clubs in resort locations. (If you know of cases where they have done, please let me know). I can't quite see the logic if they're providing to high-end hotels, B&B's, etc., which are only nominally public.

Tesla seems reluctant to provide HPWC to private golf clubs in resort locations. (If you know of cases where they have done, please let me know). I can't quite see the logic if they're providing to high-end hotels, B&B's, etc., which are only nominally public.
I think you answered your own question. Private clubs are private. High end hotels, B&Bs etc., are public. Anyone can book a room there. There is no "nominally" about it. It's a win-win, the hotel, etc. gets a customer for the night and the Tesla owner gets a place to charge. A private club can buy a $750 HPWC if the members want it.

At many destination charging locations I'm finding configjrations like this :

2 × HPWC @ 40A (though the car's NAV says 16 kW)
1 x J1772 @ 30A

I appreciate the money Tesla Motors and the host have invested and realize they don't always have the budget to set the HPWCs to 80A.

Will it ever be feasible in such instances to have an intelligent HPWC that can draw more than 40A when one of the other stations is unused?

Each one is on it's own 50 amp circuit. The only way that would be feasible is if the chargers were dual headed--but then the cost for installation wouldn't be much different than two 100 amp circuits.

The new wall connectors can share a circuit, but I know nothing about how the installation works or costs for this feature.

I stopped at the B&B in Falmouth MA " The Palmer House Inn" and the owner was great, gave me a tour of the place and let me charge while we toured. Gave me a few extra miles to get to Martha's Vineyard and then charge there. It's a gorgeous B&B and Bill and Pat O'Connell are the InnKeepers. Great People !!!!