Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decision to keep or not to keep my 2013 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So just looking for opinions on weather to keep my 2013 S that goes out of the extended warranty next May. I love the car and have not had any problems in the last few years, I have not been driving it much especially in the last year and have 37,000 miles. If there was an all electric truck out there that is affordable would probably trade it for that. We drive my wife’s Model X most of the time, thought about trading it for a Model 3. I’m mostly worried about repair bills when it goes out of warranty.

I love the car and have not had any problems in the last few years

If you have another car and might find yourself more interested in vehicles that are going to be released in the next year or two, there's little risk in keeping it. IF you experience a catastrophic failure that isn't worth fixing, dump it for parts. Truth of the matter is, a 2013 S60 is worth almost as much as a parts car as it is running and driving.

Accelerating the purchase of a car that might not be exactly what you really want (definite financial impact) to minimize the chance of an expensive failure (possible financial impact) doesn't seem like a particularly sound strategy to me, but then again I'm one of those heretics that does things like own high mileage Teslas without a warranty - so YMMV.

If you have another car and might find yourself more interested in vehicles that are going to be released in the next year or two, there's little risk in keeping it. IF you experience a catastrophic failure that isn't worth fixing, dump it for parts. Truth of the matter is, a 2013 S60 is worth almost as much as a parts car as it is running and driving.

Accelerating the purchase of a car that might not be exactly what you really want (definite financial impact) to minimize the chance of an expensive failure (possible financial impact) doesn't seem like a particularly sound strategy to me, but then again I'm one of those heretics that does things like own high mileage Teslas without a warranty - so YMMV.

I agree and am also working without a "safety net": 139,000 and no warranty. If something goes wrong , for say, $2400 that's less than three month's car payments.

Reactions: ucmndd
I just sold my 2014 p85 for a brand new LR plus. I bascially sold it because one it was RWD and was not usable in the snow even with winter tires, the prices of the LR had dropped by few thousand and there was 2 year left on the extended warranty. I wanted to sell the car with some remaining extended warranty because it gave the buyer reassurance that he would be covered. I drove my car to about 120k and I used well over the ~4k CAD I paid for the extended warranty. Even at the time of sale there were a few things that needed to be fixed. The earlier gen model s have a lot of old poorly designed components that are prone to failure and expensive to fix, and being that you are at pretty low miles those components havent seen much use yet. If i were you I would sell the car now with low miles and extended warranty and grab a 3 with factory warranty or an S .

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
sounds like you would like to upgrade into an EV truck. From that, I would stick with your S, wait a bit for Rivian, cybertruck or EV Jeep, or whatever else comes out. Put some money away to plan ahead of time for issues with your current S.

or if really worried about warranty, lease something for 2-3 years. waiting for your truck.

sounds like you would like to upgrade into an EV truck. From that, I would stick with your S, wait a bit for Rivian, cybertruck or EV Jeep, or whatever else comes out. Put some money away to plan ahead of time for issues with your current S.

or if really worried about warranty, lease something for 2-3 years. waiting for your truck.
Yes, that is what I’m thinking hopefully by 2022 there will be an EV truck available.

Hey @Merrill we’ve been on here forever, huh? Went through same deliberation over my 2012 P85. Out of warranty this month. Doubt I could get $30k for it and it’s worth more to me. Going to keep. New car will cost a lot and my 2012 still drives like new.
Time flys when your having fun, I love my 2013 Model S and it still looks new. Will probably keep it until something better comes along.

A battery failure would do some serious damage to your bank account.

Yes, to repair the car, that might cost a bit too much to be reasonable. But the repair price is NOT my loss, as long as it's not repaired. The loss has already occured, as it's de depreciation of the car I drove.

Used prices here show me the following:
My car from 2015 lost about 1/8 of its value every year, slightly more. Now at 5 1/2 to 6 years old, it is down to 1/4 of the original price. This was not linearly, of course, for the past.

I expect it to be down to 1/8 of the purchase price after the 8 years (not reaching 0, as it would, when continuing to lose value linearly).

The risk in driving it longer than 8 years, without a warranty, is that remaining 1/8. Well, 1/8 when it dies the first day after the warranty expires. Which is not very likely. So, to adjust for that, the risk is in fact about 1/8 minus the value I get from driving it. The value of driving it is, of course, much less than the annual price drop from a then new car.

This math is right for a potential second owner also, if I sell the car for 1/4 (now) to 1/8 (or slightly more when before) 8 years. This of course means I am realistic enough to face the loss in driving sich an expensive vehicule, which already occured. And for a potential buyer, it's fair if he gets a car out of warranty for about the real value. NOT what potential sellers dream of.

My situation would be as follows:
- change to a new Tesla, which will lose about 1/8 of its price every year. More in the first year, to be honest.
- keep the one without a warranty, an potentially lose the same 1/8, with the chance to drive it 2-3 more years. Or longer.

(other effect that might play a role, that I left out here:
- a car with a defective battery might be worth more than zero (spare parts, not to be repared)
- driving a new one means being able to use the new tech which the old one hasn't got on board.

Yeah, I don’t get it. I’ve owned plenty of other cars out of warranty. Even with ICE, conventional wisdom always was if you need engine rebuild, you might as well part it out. How is a battery different? And, what’s the incidence of battery failure? I’m sure <1%.

And ICE has 10x as many moving parts, so nagging repairs more likely.

why not own a Tesla after warranty? IMO battery not a good reason. Only thing I can think of is lack of repair shop options, though those appear to be popping up in areas with large Tesla population.

Reactions: Ciaopec