Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck launch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Per the two chief engineers on the Top Gear video - the CT is not bulletproof, it's "bullet resistant". They openly said the 3mm SS will only stop subsonic rounds. That's why they used an old Tommy gun that fires subsonic 45 caliber rounds, and a 9mm that was loaded with subsonic rounds. That's a nice way of saying those videos are click-bait for the fanboy base basically. They literally said all of this directly in the video, that any supersonic round will penetrate the steel. Newsflash, many pistols and almost every rifle in existence fire supersonic rounds with higher muzzle velocities these days. Any version of the AR-15 with 223/556 rounds, with muzzle velocities ranging from 2500-4000fps leaving the barrel, would turn the CT into swiss cheese in other words.
It's always been bullet resistant, not bulletproof. Most just mince those words.

In the video published by Tesla the buckshot literally goes through the door and breaks the glass! Another round from the 9mm I think got two tightly spaced impacts and cracked the steel. Not sure how much more obvious it can be. I think most people (even me, who knows nothing about weapons at all) understand that bullets exist that have a great deal more kinetic energy than buckshot, albeit distributed over a larger surface area.

Due to the events in this country, there’s general awareness of the energy contained in high-velocity rifle ammunition. It’s been very well documented.
my point is that Elon went on stage and declared that 9mm doesnt penetrate the doors... he didn't add a disclaimer that only subsonic 9mm doesnt penetrate. that's extremely misleading but so on brand for Tesla

Yes - but how many normal people actually know that .45ACP is subsonic? Not many people really. They see those videos along with the false claims that this thing is bulletproof from the CEO, and that's good enough for the average person. I wonder if the order agreement or warranty will actually have verbiage to offset this issue. It seems like this could be a real liability issue on some level. That's really what surprises me more than anything. In today's litigious society making claims like this can be risky IMHO.
frankly... they should get sued after making those claims at an official launch event including a demonstration video...

Listen for yourself - this is Lars and Franz on this exact topic:

BTW- that entire Top Gear video - it's worth watching - you'll learn a ton about the CT overall, lots of really good tidbits of data in this review.
Yikes… “we can pretty much stop any handgun… anything that is subsonic”

lol. Most handguns AREN’T subsonic. Only .45 ACP handguns and .380 ACP. The most commonly used 9mm / .40 pistol rounds aren’t subsonic at all.

Yikes… “we can pretty much stop any handgun… anything that is subsonic”

lol. Most handguns AREN’T subsonic. Only .45 ACP handguns and .380 ACP. The most commonly used 9mm / .40 pistol rounds aren’t subsonic at all.
Again, just wait for the headlines when someone gets shot, through the door….

Dumb advertising. Just dumb… even for a charlatan.

Again, just wait for the headlines when someone gets shot, through the door….

Dumb advertising. Just dumb… even for a charlatan.
I agree that it's probably the worst thing they could have run a campaign on (it's as much of a campaign as Tesla will run going on various podcast and repeating it). There's going to be several incidents where people test it.

I agree that it's probably the worst thing they could have run a campaign on (it's as much of a campaign as Tesla will run going on various podcast and repeating it). There's going to be several incidents where people test it.
Without a doubt! Not only do you have that video/ad, you have the bumbling CEO standing in “the trunk” bragging out it at the very public/covered delivery event. Beyond dumb.

lol. this isn't obvious at all...

.45 ACP is subsonic by definition. hence they don't bend the truth there.
however - 9mm has been supersonic for well over 100+ years and only niche brands/ loading make the 9mm round subsonic. to be used with suppressors. nobody is going to buy a subsonic 9mm round unless they are going to use a suppressor. they are very $$$ and don't penetrate well....

the truth would have to be to claim it resists .45 acp and then leave 9mm out of it...
It's still kinda a risky blanket statement to specific calibers, you COULD load a supersonic .45 acp using very light bullets and pushing the saami pressures, but it's not common or really a usable round that anyone would commercially sell as it would be very unstable in flight.

I also wouldn't get too caught up on the supersonic/subsonic label as that's not really the determining factor of penetration, it's really more of a factor of energy to size. Anything small and fast is hard to stop. The bigger you go, the more energy you need to penetrate and deform steel. Pistols use generally bigger and slower rounds with the exception of oddballs like 5.7 or something specially designed to go fast. It's really the same warnings when shooting steel targets. Low energy stuff like subsonic 22lr you can get even mild steel to hold up. Put enough fps behind it and a bullet a few grains heavier in standard 5.56 and the toughest ar500 you'll get severe dimpling and failures over time as they get chewed up when shot up close.

But it really comes down to, most street gangsters with handguns are going to be shooting .22lr/9mm/10mm/.45acp and with most common rounds it will likely give you some to moderate protection, which is better than you can say about pretty much any production vehicle on the road today. Anything shot out of a rifle it's probably not going to do a ton for you.

Last edited:
It's still kinda a risky blanket statement to specific calibers, you COULD load a supersonic .45 acp using very light bullets and pushing the saami pressures, but it's not common or really a usable round that anyone would commercially sell as it would be very unstable in flight.

I also wouldn't get too caught up on the supersonic/subsonic label as that's not really the determining factor of penetration, it's really more of a factor of energy to size. Anything small and fast is hard to stop. The bigger you go, the more energy you need to penetrate and deform steel. Pistols use generally bigger and slower rounds with the exception of oddballs like 5.7 or something specially designed to go fast. It's really the same warnings when shooting steel targets. Low energy stuff like subsonic 22lr you can get even mild steel to hold up. Put enough fps behind it and a bullet a few grains heavier in standard 5.56 and the toughest ar500 you'll get severe dimpling and failures over time as they get chewed up when shot up close.

But it really comes down to, most street gangsters with handguns are going to be shooting .22lr/9mm/10mm/.45acp and with most common rounds it will likely give you some to moderate protection, which is better than you can say about pretty much any production vehicle on the road today. Anything shot out of a rifle it's probably not going to do a ton for you.
9mm / .40 will go through the door unless they are subsonic. Tesla engineer even stated that.
10mm will go through the door no matter what …. That’s a very powerful handgun round actually in terms of weight and velocity

Most criminals likely use 9mm or .40 as those are by far the most common rounds. .45 acp a distant third.

Keep in mind, these two lived after being shot at dozens of times in their Tacoma by police intent on killing the driver. The daughter that hunkered down under the back window, miraculously only got hit in her hand, which it looks like to me the tailgate and part of the bed likely blocked/deflected at least some of the rounds. Being inside your vehicle is generally one of the better places you can be regardless of the vehicle. Always keep situational awareness and gtfo of dangerous places when you can.

1701726555648.png

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors
LOL, I came to see what has transpired since the launch (thread title is Cybertruck launch). Instead I got an absolutely incredible introduction to everything I ever wanted to know about various guns, ammo types, muzzle velocity, sub-sonic vs. super-sonic rounds, how deficient the Tesla legal team is, what kinds of drugs Elon must be taking, what the meaning of the wording of a 29-second video implies, or whether one needs to read between the lines, etc, etc, etc.

Best path forward is for the forum Mod to flush this entire turd of a thread where it belongs. Or move it over to the "Automobile resilience to gun fire" sub-forum... LOL 🤣

RT

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
9mm / .40 will go through the door unless they are subsonic. Tesla engineer even stated that.
10mm will go through the door no matter what …. That’s a very powerful handgun round actually in terms of weight and velocity

Most criminals likely use 9mm or .40 as those are by far the most common rounds. .45 acp a distant third.
Again most target 10mm is going to go in that 1050fps range which is about the same as any of the bulk 9mm and its a bigger round with more surface area. Yes it's probably a heavier bullet and thus a little more energy, but it's still basically just .40s&w in a slightly longer case. It does have a higher saami pressure rating, so the hotter defense stuff is likely to be moving considerably faster, not much different than 9mm +P.
LOL, I came to see what has transpired since the launch (thread title is Cybertruck launch). Instead I got an absolutely incredible introduction to everything I ever wanted to know about various guns, ammo types, muzzle velocity, sub-sonic vs. super-sonic rounds, how deficient the Tesla legal team is, what kinds of drugs Elon must be taking, what the meaning of the wording of a 29-second video implies, or whether one needs to read between the lines, etc, etc, etc.

Best path forward is for the forum Mod to flush this entire turd of a thread where it belongs. Or move it over to the "Automobile resilience to gun fire" sub-forum... LOL 🤣

RT
Like a lot of Tesla quibbles and arguments, if Tesla/Elon hadn't said or over promised on X, would anyone really care? Did that statement benefit the product?

I honestly don't know the answer. I think all the selling of being "bulletproof" is probably a net positive just like a 2.6s 0-60 (*Minus rollout lol) is even though most won't buy the Beast trim or accelerate to 60 that fast in normal use.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
Again most target 10mm is going to go in that 1050fps range which is about the same as any of the bulk 9mm and its a bigger round with more surface area. Yes it's probably a heavier bullet and thus a little more energy, but it's still basically just .40s&w in a slightly longer case. It does have a higher saami pressure rating, so the hotter defense stuff is likely to be moving considerably faster, not much different than 9mm +P.

Like a lot of Tesla quibbles and arguments, if Tesla/Elon hadn't said or over promised on X, would anyone really care? Did that statement benefit the product?

I honestly don't know the answer. I think all the selling of being "bulletproof" is probably a net positive just like a 2.6s 0-60 (*Minus rollout lol) is even though most won't buy the Beast trim or accelerate to 60 that fast in normal use.

My Rivian PU gets to 60 in 3s; and my Plaid in 1.99s. How often do I use/need this, not often….

Reactions: HitchHiker71